Customer Service 866.965.0400

Layering with all new products

bosco1

Question

Hey guys, I've watched the video on layering by Dylan a few times. With some of the new products now Adams offers I could use your help to guide me alittle more. I will exclude the Ceramic Spray Coating and CS3 I suppose for now, but do have them along with Surface Prep Spray. Have a couple friends wanting their cars done. One is a almost new Lexus the other is a 1999 F350 in decent condition. 

In the past per Dylans video I washed, clayed, paint sealant, brilliant glaze, buttery wax. (Would may add a rinse then HGG to complete this procedure) 

I have now One step polish, Polish ( finishing polish?), Revive, Americania, Spray Wax, along with the Ceramic Spray Coating and CS3 & Surface prep, that I could/can utilize upon your professional opinions.

Whats the best layering procedure for these two vehicles? thank you so much for your knowledge

dan

Revive may be a good addition for the 1999 F350!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by bosco1

13 answers to this question

52 minutes ago, bosco1 said:

Hey guys, I've watched the video on layering by Dylan a few times. With some of the new products now Adams offers I could use your help to guide me alittle more. I will exclude the Ceramic Spray Coating and CS3 I suppose for now, but do have them along with Surface Prep Spray. Have a couple friends wanting their cars done. One is a almost new Lexus the other is a 1999 F350 in decent condition. 

In the past per Dylans video I washed, clayed, paint sealant, brilliant glaze, buttery wax. (Would may add a rinse then HGG to complete this procedure) 

I have now One step polish, Polish ( finishing polish?), Revive, Americania, Spray Wax, along with the Ceramic Spray Coating and CS3 & Surface prep, that I could/can utilize upon your professional opinions.

Whats the best layering procedure for these two vehicles? thank you so much for your knowledge

dan

All of the Polishes you have will work fine with your Si02 products (CSC , CS3) because after polishing you would want to do a Surface prep wipe down.

I would use the Americana & Spray wax on a different project. You want to keep Si02 products & Carnauba products separate.

Hope this makes since.

Thanks 

6 hours ago, falcaineer said:

:iagree:

Here's a great article on why, including info about layering.

Yes read it many times

11 hours ago, Chris@Adams said:

All of the Polishes you have will work fine with your Si02 products (CSC , CS3) because after polishing you would want to do a Surface prep wipe down.

I would use the Americana & Spray wax on a different project. You want to keep Si02 products & Carnauba products separate.

Hope this makes since.

Thanks 

I don't plan on using the ceramic's for either of these vehicles, was going to use paint sealant and HGG instead, Is that OK??? please advise the layering with the new products I listed if you could not using the ceramics unless this is a huge mistake.I don"t need the paint sealant and HGG if I use the Ceramics right?

When should One Step be applied if I go that route, When should Revive be used if I use it on the F350. I have new Adams Polish and older Finishing Polish as well. When would they be used if I used them.

I was thinking the BG might not be a good choice on the 1999 F350 but  good for the 2018 garage kept Lexas. 

Just looking how to utilize them or stick to my last layering procedure I did in my original post. Hope this helps...

Edited by bosco1

2 hours ago, Rich said:

Here's the order I did mine.  Wash, clay, polish, wipe with prep, Ceramic Spray Coating, maintain with CS3.  No Revive, Americana, or Spray Wax.  

Thanks Rich...What Polish did you use. Was this for a daily driver??

Edited by bosco1

18 hours ago, bosco1 said:

dan

I'd suggest you don't use the HGG on top of the Buttery as you have above,  Use Spray Wax instead.

The One Step Polish isn't applied, it's worked with a machine. It can be used as a Finishing Polish on lighter colored vehicles, you may need to experiment with different pads to achieve your desired result. Or,  you'd use the One Step Polish with the wool/microfiber blend pad then complete your polishing with a second step using the Polish and white foam pad if needed.

If using the synthetics I stick to just the synthetics. After polishing I'll apply the Paint Sealant, then maintain with HGG. I see no need to put the HGG on top of the Paint Sealant right away, it needs a bit of time to properly cure anyways. I'll also not use the Brilliant Glaze with the Paint Sealant if I've just polished the paint, there's no real benefit. For maintenance HGG can be used after every few washes.

*Just prior to winter I'll make an exception to the above; To add some longevity to the Paint Sealant I'll top it with a layer, or two of Americana. My thought is the Americana has to degrade before the Paint Sealant will begin to degrade, this seems to get me (on my daily's) from November to April with protection still on the paint.

With natural Carnaubas, I'll stick to carnaubas; one coat of Brilliant Glaze, then two layers of a natural carnauba (Buttery, Americana, or Patriot), and call it good. For maintenance I'll use Spray Wax as a drying aid.

The Surface Prep can still be used after your polish step, prior to the application of Paint Sealant or Brilliant Glaze to remove any polish reside, or oils from the paint allowing those next products to stick better to the paint.

Revive, or the new Hand Polish which is Revive's replacement are designed for hand use.

Be aware the carnauba waxes will last only a couple/few months at best, while the synthetics should last six + months.

10 hours ago, bosco1 said:

Thanks Rich...What Polish did you use. Was this for a daily driver??

I used the Finishing Polish because that's what I had when I did it last year. Yes, on my daily driver.

4 hours ago, BRZN said:

I'd suggest you don't use the HGG on top of the Buttery as you have above,  Use Spray Wax instead.

The One Step Polish isn't applied, it's worked with a machine. It can be used as a Finishing Polish on lighter colored vehicles, you may need to experiment with different pads to achieve your desired result. Or,  you'd use the One Step Polish with the wool/microfiber blend pad then complete your polishing with a second step using the Polish and white foam pad if needed.

If using the synthetics I stick to just the synthetics. After polishing I'll apply the Paint Sealant, then maintain with HGG. I see no need to put the HGG on top of the Paint Sealant right away, it needs a bit of time to properly cure anyways. I'll also not use the Brilliant Glaze with the Paint Sealant if I've just polished the paint, there's no real benefit. For maintenance HGG can be used after every few washes.

*Just prior to winter I'll make an exception to the above; To add some longevity to the Paint Sealant I'll top it with a layer, or two of Americana. My thought is the Americana has to degrade before the Paint Sealant will begin to degrade, this seems to get me (on my daily's) from November to April with protection still on the paint.

With natural Carnaubas, I'll stick to carnaubas; one coat of Brilliant Glaze, then two layers of a natural carnauba (Buttery, Americana, or Patriot), and call it good. For maintenance I'll use Spray Wax as a drying aid.

The Surface Prep can still be used after your polish step, prior to the application of Paint Sealant or Brilliant Glaze to remove any polish reside, or oils from the paint allowing those next products to stick better to the paint.

Revive, or the new Hand Polish which is Revive's replacement are designed for hand use.

Be aware the carnauba waxes will last only a couple/few months at best, while the synthetics should last six + months.

Thank you BRZN, this was very informative. I did not use HGG on top of the Buttery but wasn't sure when I would see these cars again so thought I would give them an added layer of protection that day. I did wait using HGG on my wifes Escalade until the 1st wash after layering mainly because it's White and HGG really makes White pop.

I do have the wool/microfiber pad btw, thought that may be a good way to go on the 99 F350 since it needs more attention. May do this instead of the Revive. Would rather use machine anyhow. The F350 is not garage kept so may do the Americana on top of the Paint Sealant as you suggested.

So for the:

>99 F350  Wash, Clay, One Step Polish - Wool Pad, Polish/Finishing Polish - White Pad, Paint Sealant, Americana. ( Spray Wax at the end? Yes/No)

>18 Lexas, Wash, Clay, Polish -Finishing Polish White Pad, Surface Prep, Paint Sealant, Buttery Wax, Spray Wax.

Edited by bosco1

10 minutes ago, BRZN said:

You really won't get much, if any benefit using the Spray Wax on top of the Buttery or Americana right after their applications, I'd skip that.

Okay, many thanks brother...

Well I decided to go with Rich and some others on the Lexus and use the CSC, it was in better shape than I originally thought, I Clayed, Polished (Machined white pad), Surface Prep, Ceramic Spray Coating. Turned out pretty good for a 90k daily driver. They were happy...Here's before and after.pics..Still up in the air on the direction for the F350 but will utilize BRZN (Dave) advice on the how to and what not to do...

93519501_2848576291902551_996027435910692864_o.jpg

92851940_2848576198569227_2853775923017154560_o.jpg

Sooo I just did some paint correcting and then added paint sealer with a coat of patriot wax.  I purchased CS3 and what I believe you are referring to with CSC as ceramic spray coating.  I should not be using those on top of the paint sealer and wax?  I am getting lost in all these new products Adam’s is selling lately to almost an annoying point.  

If no then that means what?  A strip wash again??

1 hour ago, dskinsler83 said:

Sooo I just did some paint correcting and then added paint sealer with a coat of patriot wax.  I purchased CS3 and what I believe you are referring to with CSC as ceramic spray coating.  I should not be using those on top of the paint sealer and wax?  I am getting lost in all these new products Adam’s is selling lately to almost an annoying point.  

If no then that means what?  A strip wash again??

Correct, Ceramic Spray Coating, and like traditional coatings, don't add it as a topper (beside on a traditional coating or itself). It needs bare paint to bond properly, or again, a coating already present.

If you want to use CSC, Strip Wash will be needed to remove the Paint Sealant and wax,and you should also consider using Surface Prep, too, to make sure the paint is clean.

CS3 (not CSC) is a silica-infused waterless wash type of product that can be used on a coated or non-coated car. But it's not your best option over Paint Sealant since that's an acrylic type product.

For simplicity, stick to the same product families with your protection and layers. Adam's breaks them down pretty well on their website, so if you find yourself buying from multiple pages all over the site to create your protection layer(s), you may be mixing them up and, while not necessarily "wrong," you may not be gaining the most benefit. To that end, if you haven't already, take a look at the article I linked above re: product families and layering. It really does a great job outlining them.