Customer Service 866.965.0400

What is the worst car care product you've bought?

6spdg37s

Question

Inspired by SVTLIGHTING's post i figured that maybe everyone can share their experience... everyone knows they've bought something tried it once and said to themselves FML i just wasted X amount of money..could range from an air freshner sent to a tool etc;

well I didn't buy it but my old gf bought me one of those Mother's powerballs once. Totally worthless, it just kept slinging product off and never really worked.

I bought one of those also. Mine is still in the package, and now I can't find it.

I was in a pinch for tire dressing once when detailing a pearl white BMW 3 series. I was out of my ususal selections so I was forced to run to Autozone and buy some Black Magic. Lets just say that I had to make a trip to the owners house later that night b/c the drive home slung goopy black silicone up all over the sides of the car. The Black Magic went into the trashcan shortly after.

They were all tire dressings:

First, Meguairs 'high endurance' tire gel...the gel itself was clumpy, it was like I was applying cottage cheese to the tires....and the yellow, flat, circular pad that came with it was hardly absorbent, very difficult to handle, and shredded easily. It would take upwards of 20 minutes to dress all my tires evenly. Sometimes after I washed I didn't even bother with the tires because I knew how much of a pain it would have been, whereas with Adam's VRT and their sponges I can do it in less than 5.

Looking to make tire dressing quicker I next tried Armor All tire spray...found out that you gotta keep that can moving, if you stop for 0.05 of a second you'll end up with a big dark line that wouldn't wipe off.

Then I tried AA's tire foam, applied quickly and evenly...ok, so far so good. However when it dried it left an orange tint on my tires and it left dark stains on my driveway that lasted for weeks

Spend a couple of extra dollars and get the stuff that WORKS

VRT lasts longer both in that it is much more weather resistant and won't fade from the tires as fast, and that you don't have to use a lot thus giving you more applications per bottle

Edited by GerryC

I would have to say the Mother's power ball also. I had an older drill at the time.

It required a key chuck to tighten it down.

While trying to get into a tight spot on the wheel, the ball "bounced."

The teeth on the chuck put a deep gouge in the chrome.

Threw the ball in the trash and went out and got myself a Flitz ball.

They come with a collar to cover the chuck teeth.

Thing that really ticked me off at the time, it was a brand new product

and my local Auto Zone didn't carry them yet.

Clerk didn't even know what it was.

I had to show him a photo and he "special ordered" it for me.

I've been disappointed with a number of so-called "wheel cleaner" sprays. Some just didn't help much at all, some gunked up the brake dust and made things worse, and others seemed like they were going to cause damage.

Not to be a total suck-up, but Adam's Green Wheel Cleaner is the only wheel cleaner that actually works as (actually better than) advertised. :thumbsup:

I once bought a Black Magic Tire dressing that i came in a handy (so i thought) grooved for the tire foam applicator. When you apply the applicator to the tire you would just squeeze the bottle and theoretically the gel would go on evenly. YEAH RIGHT. When i tried it the first time, the foam peeled off leaving the tire gel to get everywhere (hands, tires, floor). That thing is still hanging in my garage as a reminder to never buy that crap again.

A tire dressing product that is non messy. No sprays that fly all over the place. Nothing that gets all over your hands. An easy application.........and sticks!

That would be good. :thumbsup:

I would have to say Black Magic Titanium Gel. Freaking worthless I couldn't for my life get the crap evenly coated on my tires. I have yet to try Adams VRT on my tires because I am afraid of it being difficult and very time consuming. I do however like Black Magics spray FOAM! Its very easy to get a nice even coat and leaves it with a nice glossy shine that wont sling all over the vehicle and it lasts a long time. Im going on 2 weeks on my last app.