Customer Service 866.965.0400

Counter Weight Selection - Which Do You Need?

floraneg

Question

I received my 4" spot pads last week, but couldn't find my wrench. I ordered one off the Internet last Thursday and it finally arrived. After removing the velcro backing pad, I see that there is some sort of counter weight on the machine that reads "Use 5 inch pad only" Do I remove this to use the 4" spot pads or do I leave it on?

I plan on going crazy this weekend! :pc:

IMG_0006.jpgIMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

Edited by floraneg

• Answers 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Yeah, I agree. I read that the Junkman said the 5" counter weight works fine with the spot pads as well as the regular pads. I ordered my PC with the extra set of spot pads last week too.

BTW, I asked Ashley yesterday if she would be so kind as to make the weather warm and sunny where I live this weekend so I can detail my car. (She's been able to do anything else I've asked when I called, so I thought it was worth a shot.)

I personally like the 5" weight... its functional for both sets of pads and keeps me from having to swap weights when I swap backing plates and pads. The 6" is too big for the 4" setup IMO, causes excessive vibration and makes it hard to control the machine in tight spots.

The only drawback is slightly more vibration when using the large pads, but not enough to really justify changing it, at least for my own peronal use.

I personally like the 5" weight... its functional for both sets of pads and keeps me from having to swap weights when I swap backing plates and pads. The 6" is too big for the 4" setup IMO, causes excessive vibration and makes it hard to control the machine in tight spots.

The only drawback is slightly more vibration when using the large pads, but not enough to really justify changing it, at least for my own peronal use.

:iagree:

... only I would say that the only drawback is slightly more vibration when using the large pads at to high a speed.

Just to clear up any confusion, everyone should understand the purpose of the counter weights. Their purpose is exactly why they are named as such. The technical definition is, "a force or influence equally counteracting another."

The force that the counterweight is counter-reacting is the combined weight of the backing plate and pad. That weight is also influenced by the speed of oscillation and the weight of the moisture on the pad. If you where to weigh the Adam's backing plate and pad, you will find out that both are similar in total weight to the 5" counterweight. Even as your pad begins to fill up with product, the combination is still compatible as long as you work the polisher at the correct speed and do not saturate the pad with product. It is when you get the combination of incorrect oscillations (as in too fast in the operation), combined with too much product on the pad (as in saturated), that you throw the "balance of nature" out of whack when it comes to the PC and the Adam's equipment in question here.

If you operate the polisher at the correct speeds using Adam's pads and backing plate, coupled with the correct amount of product, you will see no difference between the 5" or 6" counterweights. It is when you drastically alter this combination that the vibration truly becomes evident. There are however, various backing plates for the PC-7424 that will require specific counterweights as they are heavier. Here are two such backing plates that I have that call for the 6" counterweight.

backplate1.jpg

backplate2.jpg

At the same time, I also have one that is similar to the Adam's backing plate that calls for the 5" counterweight. The difference here is, this backing plate is made for using the PC as a sander, not a polishing tool. This combination of course is a much lighter setup that a polishing setup would be.

backplate3.jpg

For those who have watch my videos, you know that I do not like to work faster than a speed of 5, with 9-14 pounds of pressure. You can work at a higher speed as Adam does, however, Adam has been doing this for quite a few years and has that technique down to an art form. It takes practice, just as it takes practice to masterfully drive a car in a sport such as drifting. Cars are not meant to be driven to that extreme but in the right hands, it is an art of feel and technique.

All of this is to say that with a proper technique, do not get caught up in the counterweight that you use unless you are working with different accessories that are available for the PC. The 4" focal pads on a speed of 5 with either the 5" or 6" counterweight shouldn't present you with any issues. However, if you crank the PC up to 6 with those pads, the PC can become another animal. You will sacrifice control and probably not achieve the desired results that you are looking for. The key again is technique. Take your time and work methodically. If you begin to tire, stop and take a break or call it the day. I often take multiple days to work on an issue. The results will come and like fine wine, you don't want to rush it.

Edited by Junkman2008

You were posting as I was. I saw it right after! The information is really good to know. I thought the 6" was designed for Adam's and since I received my XP as a gift and not through Adam's, then I should make the swap. Your post clears it up.

Outstanding! This should clear it up for a lot of folks. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

Is it best to use a 6 inch counter weight for the gen 2 pads and backing plate?

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Is it best to use a 6 inch counter weight for the gen 2 pads and backing plate?

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

We've discussed this in a few threads. The 5" will work just fine because you have a 5" back plate.

Take a look at this thread.

Edited by Junkman2008

I use the 5" weight on all my machines... reason being is that I swap between the large 7" pads and 4" pads regularly. I find it easier to split the difference and seal with a marginal amount of vibration in my hands versus wasting time swapping weights each time.

Also when you consider the OD of the plate for the 7.5" pads is actually 5.875" its really not that big of a difference.... especially when you work at 5k opm... we're not really talking about functionality, its more of a comfort issue.

I use the 5" weight on all my machines... reason being is that I swap between the large 7" pads and 4" pads regularly. I find it easier to split the difference and seal with a marginal amount of vibration in my hands versus wasting time swapping weights each time.

Also when you consider the OD of the plate for the 7.5" pads is actually 5.875" its really not that big of a difference.... especially when you work at 5k opm... we're not really talking about functionality, its more of a comfort issue.

:iagree:

WOW - thanks for the quick responses (what a great service). I am receiving a bunch of Adam's material via FedEx this afternoon and plan on having fun.

** For Junkman2008** Thanks Marine

Army (DMZ 1971)