Customer Service 866.965.0400

Cars Gone and NEARLY forgotten

Marylander

Have you ever seen a 20 year old car on the road and thought to yourself, "Holy crap, I'd pretty much forgotten about those -- but they were the thing in the day!" That Grand Prix Daytona thread got me thinking... to me, THIS is a Daytona:

medium_3060570646_75a054a4ba_o.jpg

These things were pretty hot when I was in high school. What cars have nearly faded from YOUR memory?

When I was a boy, I remember riding my horse up and down the block like a sucker until the newest form of transportation came into existence. My neighbor, who was a railroad tycoon, had the first one. He paid 15 dollars for it brand new. Now, I didn't trade in my horse for one until 1924, but I remember this was one hot ride. My neighbor used to let me crank his engine, we didn't have keys like you spoiled kids do these days. That's me behind the wheel of this beast when I was about 30. This baby had 11 horsepower, and I think 3 ft/lbs of torque. 0-15mph in 12 seconds and 1/4 mile time of 43 minutes and 28 seconds. It was a real tire roaster at the time - trouble is the tires were made of asbestos. It was also a real chick magnet. See that hottie in the back seat? That's Gertrude. She was the hottest girl in school - she set the Guinness book of world records for fastest time birthing a cow while milking its mother at the same time. Now, when I still had Fleabiscuit (my horse), Gertrude wanted nothing to do with me. When I picked up my Model T, her knickers instantly fell off. In closing, I would just like to say that they don't make cars like these anymore.

Signed,

Grandpa.

1918_Ford_Model_T_Touring_Car.jpg

When I was a boy, I remember riding my horse up and down the block like a sucker until the newest form of transportation came into existence. My neighbor, who was a railroad tycoon, had the first one. He paid 15 dollars for it brand new. Now, I didn't trade in my horse for one until 1924, but I remember this was one hot ride. My neighbor used to let me crank his engine, we didn't have keys like you spoiled kids do these days. That's me behind the wheel of this beast when I was about 30. This baby had 11 horsepower, and I think 3 ft/lbs of torque. 0-15mph in 12 seconds and 1/4 mile time of 43 minutes and 28 seconds. It was a real tire roaster at the time - trouble is the tires were made of asbestos. It was also a real chick magnet. See that hottie in the back seat? That's Gertrude. She was the hottest girl in school - she set the Guinness book of world records for fastest time birthing a cow while milking its mother at the same time. Now, when I still had Fleabiscuit (my horse), Gertrude wanted nothing to do with me. When I picked up my Model T, her knickers instantly fell off. In closing, I would just like to say that they don't make cars like these anymore.

Signed,

Grandpa.

:lolsmack::lolsmack::lolsmack:

Wise guy, eh?

Jeff... :lolsmack::lolsmack:

What was that car called that looked like a fish bowl?? I really disliked it whatever it was.

FORD TAURUS? kinda looks like a cross between a fish bowl and a turd.

My cousin had one of those Daytona's...It talked like Kitt...really cool until it malfunctioned "your fuel is low...your fuel is low...your fuel is low........."

I think the old squared off Camaros were cool...I had an 88 and a 91Z28...rare here to see a nice example of one...usually they are beat to death.

Only Pacer I can recall is Wayne's World having one. If I could I'd look for a '78--81 Malibu 2 door to restore and drop a v8 in. My '80 had a worn out 229 v6 and alot of other stuff wrong with it. I'd only bought one more car from that dealer and never will again after I got overcharged on that car also. :o

Anbody remember what "GLHS" stood for? "Goes Like He!! Shelby" it was quick for what it was.

I miss my 1990 Beretta GTZ, that was an under appreciated model.

Bruce

Oh... or the Cadillac Catera... remember: Its the caddy that zigs!! LMAO, what a colossal missed target by GM's R&D people.

cadillac-catera-1998_7465.jpg

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xmmuHxnQkw&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xmmuHxnQkw&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Archived