Customer Service 866.965.0400

1998 Neglected Black Corvette

1anonly

Ahhhh, where to begin.... How about January of 1998. That is when a 22 year old snot nosed kid (ME) bought his first Corvette. I washed that car every week, sometimes twice a week. I was the man with the shiny brand new Corvette. Now let's fast foward 12 years. Now that kid is a 35 year old who is married with a 15 month daughter and a not so shiny 12 year old Corvette. Recently I looked at my car and said "Since when do I own a grey Corvette?" I knew something major had to be done. That's when a friend told me about Adam's. This guy has a 2006 Z06 that is the blackist car I've seen. I was sold on Adam's and Dylan got a call two days later. I made a nice size order, only to follow it a week later with another one. So, Heeeeeeeeeere's my detail write up! I got lots of pictures for you guys too.

DISCLAIMER!!! I'm not responsible for anyone burning their eyes by looking at the before pictures :jester:

Here are some prewash photos to show how sad my car really was.

Swirl.jpg

Swirl1.jpg

Swirl4.jpg

Swirl3.jpg

I can't forget to show what happens when you use a rotary the wrong way too! Halogram City

Swirl2.jpg

Prewash.jpg

So I started by doing a Dawn wash and this what it looked like under the lights.

Startingbase1.jpg

Then a Clay bar session.

Clayedhood.jpg

Clayedside.jpg

After the clay bay I rewashed with dawn. Then it was to the SHR and PC with the orange pad. Some spots had to hit with the 4" yellow pad. This is one pass with the SHR.

1passSHR.jpg

Two passes with the SRH.

2passSHR1.jpg

Now this is after the FIFTH pass with SHR. Now we're talking.

5passSHR1.jpg

And finally shot after two passes of FMP and the white pad.

2passFMP1.jpg

After I finished the 5 passes of SHR and 2 passes of FMP, I did a pass of Revive. Once that was done it got a coat of Buttery Wax.

My tires had a thick coat of greasy Black Magic on them that I wanted off. I always hated when that garbage would spray onto my fenders. It took 2 rounds of APC to get that crap of. I use Super VRT now!

Rims.jpg

It took me around 13 hours that stretched over 6 days to complete the car. It isn't perfect by no means, but looks 100 times better than it didn't. Hopefully I'll be able to do another round of SHR on it before winter.

Here's what I used.

Productused.jpg

And I guess you guys want to see some after shots, huh? Well, I went crazy. Enjoy!

IMG_5200.jpg

DoneMirror.jpg

IMG_5201.jpg

DonerearQuarter.jpg

DoneRear.jpg

IMG_5223.jpg

IMG_5229.jpg

LeftFront.jpg

Topoff.jpg

Last but not least. My favorite shot of the day. I love the reflection of the sky and building.

Reflection.jpg

I want to give special thanks to Dylan and Junkman for the helpful tip. :thumbsup:

If I wouldn't of found this forum there is NO WAY my car would look like it does now. I have learned a lot here in a matter of two weeks. The sad part is that I used clean new cars at a dealership (way back where). The dirty wash mits, dirty towels, using rags on the paint. Oh man, I can't believe that was the way I used to clean cars. :explode: I can tell you guys stories that you won't believe about things we did to cars. The next new car I buy, will be cleaned by me. There is no way in hell that I'm letting the dealership clean it.

I hoped you enjoyed "Story Time with Dan"

First off you deserve a bi*ch slap for letting it get that bad! :D

Well done. Now we expect you to keep it that way. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Yes, I know I deserve it. I have less then 26K miles on it, but the finish is just crap from me cleaning it the wrong way for years.

Earlier this year I tried to get the haze out by using a Powerball.....BIG MISTAKE! All it did was put those nice trails in the hood. I have a rotary, but the pad is junk and probably would make it worse. That's why I broke down and got a PC. Super easy to use and I don't have to worry about burning the paint.

Great save !!! But as already stated you need to be slapped for treating it so bad to begin with. LOL But we see that you have seen the light. So it appears you are well on the road to recovery. Keep up the good work.

Archived