Customer Service 866.965.0400

No wipe off protection?

Z06Seal

Question

Can you guys shed some light on a product like Blackfire Crystal Seal which requires no buffing? after curing process, that's it. there is no wiping off or anything.

Out of curiosity, do we have anything like this? It's meant to be used on top of their sealant. It's almost like our Quick Seal, but the difference being, the blackfire brand is one less step

Anything being planned like this? 

I dont know how much i trust something that you dont wipe off. I cant see you having perfect clear paint without buffing dry with a mf. They claim it doesnt leave ANY streaks, residue, haze or anything just from putting it on?

Direct sunlight test?

I don't know much about the product. Just saw a few corvetteforum people and go to detail guy mention it very positive things about it. I haven't seen anything negative. I've honestly never heard of a apply and leave it alone type of product before (besides the quartz seal type of coatings), so I wanted to ask here.

EDIT : NO EXTERNAL LINKS TO COMPETITORS  -DvK

Some people I think refer to these as a WOWA sealer (I assume that means wipe on, walk away? lol)

I'm only asking about a 'off brand' product because well... I don't visit any other detail forums and I wanted you guys' opinion instead :)

Edited by The Shine Doc

No offense to vetteforum but those dudes think its cool to use pledge as detail spray so........

Come on Tom, Not all are like that. then you're putting me in the same boat as a person who would use a papertowel and pledge to wipe my car down at a gas station.

ouch got a warning. ok, well I posted the name of the product. I'm just asking if it compares to anything we have. 

I use a product from Garry Dean that is a water based, WOWA sealant, no cure time, no water activation.  It's basically my "boost" of sealant (see what I did there) between applications of my current favorite sealant, Liquid Paint Sealant.

Works great in winter time to add some protection because you literally get done with the wash and just 2-3 mists per panel and wipe down with a double soft towel, water based so nothing to haze over, etc.

So we're talking about something that you spray on wet and then rinse off or something you spray on a dry car and just walk off?

From what I read, you apply it on a dry car and walk away. I don't know what it's like, never heard of it or heard any good reviews about it.

Edited by SJC96GT

It still has to be applied with an applicator.  See below with what I pulled from the source:

Application is simple. Spray on BLACKFIRE Crystal Seal and wipe it over the surface in a very, very thin coat. That's all. The coating dries without any chalk or residue. There is no need to buff. If you wish, you can apply a wax over Crystal Seal but it is not necessary. BLACKFIRE Crystal Seal provides outstanding protection and durability on its own.

It still has to be applied with an applicator.  See below with what I pulled from the source:

I caught that but I still don't know if you can apply anything with an applicator and not have to wipe it dry or streakless. I know of one product you can mist on and spread/dry using a microfiber towel to a streakless finish.

So we're talking about something that you spray on wet and then rinse off or something you spray on a dry car and just walk off?

For what I'm using I spray on a dry or wet car since its water based.  If the car is dry and you want to apply protection then mist and wipe away with an MF towel immediately.

If you just finished washing the car you can mist the wet panels and dry with it as usual to add protection after the wash.

For what I'm using I spray on a dry or wet car since its water based.  If the car is dry and you want to apply protection then mist and wipe away with an MF towel immediately.

If you just finished washing the car you can mist the wet panels and dry with it as usual to add protection after the wash.

That seems more realistic but doesnt really save me anything.

I caught that but I still don't know if you can apply anything with an applicator and not have to wipe it dry or streakless. I know of one product you can mist on and spread/dry using a microfiber towel to a streakless finish.

They work like they're supposed to.

You just can't over apply--that's when you run into possible streaking.

And its supposed to apply even and dry spot/streakless..

The WOWA sealants contain high content of volatile solvents which cause it to evaporate extremely quickly which makes it not streak (most of the time)

Spray on wax or sealant booster with no streaking?

Spray on, wipe off and walk away??

Hmmmmmmm? Where have I seen that before?

(Cue Jeopardy music.)

HINT

Enhance Gloss, Depth, & Shine

Extends Protection with NEW Wax Boosting Technology

Still Easy to Use, with No Streaking or Residues

Enjoy the Amazing Scent While You Clean and Add Shine!

Made in USA!

Oh yeah, Adam's Detail Spray!

http://adamspolishes.com/shop/exterior/waxing-and-glazing/adam-s-detail-spray-16oz.html

The WOWA sealants contain high content of volatile solvents which cause it to evaporate extremely quickly which makes it not streak (most of the time)

Must not be the one I'm using.  Advertised as no VOC and water based right on the website.

I use the BF version all the time. It's stupid easy to use and works great. It's awesome on trim, glass, wheels and of course paint. The first one I used was Zaino Clear Seal several years ago and I didn't care for it at all. You had to use JUST the right amount or it wouldn't wick away. The new stuff is awesome and I would really like to see some from Adam's in the future. It might not be as durable as a true sealant but it literally takes me 5-7 minutes to apply to my Camaro and I'm done.

Having said that, I still haven't found anything better on wheels than Adam's Quick Sealant. I had been using the AA wheel protectant for a while but the Quick Sealant blows it out of the water even if it takes a little longer since you have to give it a final buff.

The simple fact of the matter is this -

There is a sliding scale for protection in each category that moves between PROTECTION and ease of APPLICATION. Its not a hard and fast rule, but generally the easier a product becomes to apply its generally at the expense of longevity.

I've got plenty of prototypes in my office that are just stupid-difficult to apply, but they are practically impenetrable by traditional sealant standards. In the end what good is a product that makes application long and difficult? But at the same time if its super easy and doesn't last long is it any better?

Key is to find balance... a small investment of effort/time will usually translate to better durability. Things at this point are just at the physical limits of modern chemistry. They gradually improve, but something that is sprayed on and then left will generally fall short on durability compared to a similar compound that requires a more traditional application.