Customer Service 866.965.0400

Guard and Gloss

arasco3

Question

15 answers to this question

I think that'd be up to you.  Are you going to be doing any paint correction after claying?  I see nothing wrong with using G&G.  It provides a really good shine and a level of protection to boot.  After G&G, you could apply Buttery Wax, Americana, Patriot, etc.  I did two vehicles over the weekend where I applied Buttery Wax over G&G and the shine was intense. 

Roger, that makes sense but i will usually be drying in the sun and the summer heat in houston does not help much. unless i use deionized water but even then i i cant really clay in 100 degree direct sunlight. I guess i almost have to use garage space

Nathan, i usually dry the car with G&G, clay and then use the paint sealant with a swirl killer. Like i said i only use the G&G to aid with drying, i leave it to the paint sealant to protect the paint and throw some buttery wax on top of that to enhance the shine a bit. 

Should i just start using detail spray to help aid with drying rather than G&G? since a) im using paint sealant again after claying, and B) the clay could take the G&G off making it pointless

yes i know i spelled guard wrong

Fixed that title for you.

If you're going to clay the vehicle, there is no point to use H2O Guard prior to claying. The H2O Guard will be sealing the surface and will make it more difficult to remove the bonded contamination from the clear coat.

If you're planning on claying immediately after washing, rinse the vehicle, move it into the garage or shade if possible, then mist Detail Spray onto the wet vehicle and start claying. If you have to work in the hot sun, use a minimal amount of Detail Spray as a drying aid, then clay with more Detail Spray. Dried-on Detail Spray residue is much easier to deal with than dried-on H2O Guard streaks.

Andrew,

As others have stated, clay before you add any sealants or wax. So in your case, you could do a full two bucket wash, rinse and mist the car with detail spray. Then go about claying with more detail spray as you go section by section. After all sections are completed, you could either A.) rinse it or B.) wash and rinse once more then dry with H2O. I think Adam had a video where he went through that exact process. Just make sure you check the clay often and fold it once it gets contaminated from a section.

Edited by Junior

Andrew,

As others have stated, clay before you add any sealants or wax. So in your case, you could do a full two bucket wash, rinse and mist the car with detail spray. Then go about claying with more detail spray as you go section by section. After all sections are completed, you could either A.) rinse it or B.) wash and rinse once more then dry with H2O. I think Adam had a video where he went through that exact process. Just make sure you check the clay often and fold it once it gets contaminated from a section.

Here's that video: https://youtu.be/gi6VBddZ2sA

Are you doing a full detail? If so, you might consider a strip wash first, then move on to clay, polish, seal, etc.

post-14986-0-81143600-1490742144_thumb.jpgpost-14986-0-48740500-1490742161_thumb.jpegAll the talk about H2OGG.. did mine today... I filled an old Detail bottle with Distilled water and wet a panel and double soft then proceeded to do a panel at a time... worked perfectly. Lots of shine!!!

Edited by Rb1274