Customer Service 866.965.0400

Felt Lined Wheel Wells

InDepthAutoDetailing

Question

21 answers to this question

How about try taking some pics I have never seen this!

No comment on how filthy this is. I live in a rural farming area and the farmers are out harvesting their crops right now. With all the rain we've had recently they pull all sorts of mud out into the roads when they drive from field to field there's no way to miss it.

Wifes Mazda has them, I do the dry brush scrub trick like Dylan suggested.

Then I shoot some Waterless Wash in there, let it soak and blast them with hose.

The WW seems to help loosen the dirt and slick the fibers up so things don't stick so bad.

Once they are dry I brush them again with the carpet brush and shoot them with I&O.

Works nice for me.. Funny thing.. hers only has them on the rear.. fronts are normal plastic..

The sound deadening carpet liners can be a pain with bits of grass clippings and similar stuff getting stuck in there. I usually try to brush them out with the fender brush BEFORE introducing any water to the equation. The grass is less likely to stick that way.

Once I've knocked the dry stuff loose then I go to the pressure washer or hose... most times that does the job at getting the rest of it.

do you have the fender well brush, boar's hair wheel brush, interior brush, and/or carpet brush?

it wouldn't hurt to try those starting with the softest brush and working your way up to the stiffest one.

The Boars Hair Wheel Brush and Interior Brush would be too soft for what's in the Volvo Wheel Wells.

do you have the fender well brush, boar's hair wheel brush, interior brush, and/or carpet brush?

it wouldn't hurt to try those starting with the softest brush and working your way up to the stiffest one.

i agree, that stuff should come out... have spray-in bedliner put in to replace it! all it is there for is sound deadening

The rear wheel wells have this fabric liner on my wife's Volvo XC70. I spray them with the hose nozzel I use on its "Fan" setting, that knocs the majority on any dirt and debris off. I then spray the entire wheel well with APC and scrub with the fender brush. If anything remains I use a short/stiff bristled brush to get the little pieces of usually organic matter that remain. Finish up with Undercarriage Dressing and they're perfect. Yes, it's easyer with the wheels off, but that's pretty time consuming for a daily driver and really not necessary with the clearance on her car.

At first I was a bit worried the APC may loosen the adhesive holding the material on. The car has 68,000 miles, is six years old and washed almost every other weekend. Stuff is still stuck on like it's part of the plastic inner fender.

My Audi's have them too; it's more of a carpet that felt.

It's a little harder to clean I guess, but I haven't had an issue.

Just a couple of pine needle fragments remained after my work with APC and the fender brush. I picked those out by hand.

My wife's new Durango has a felt lining in the wheel wells. What's the best way to clean these? She had ran through some grass clippings in the road and it's all in the felt.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

I found that APC and a still brissled brush works fine. When the wheel wells are dry, the shop vac works great with a brush to aid in removing the debris.

I'd rip that crap off! Fabric does not belong on the outside of the car, IMO

It's kind of a weird spot to put the fabric, but it's really not that hard to clean. When it's clean, it looks alot better than cheap plastic wheel wells.

Lots of Mercedes Benz have these too....they are a big PITA! Depending on what you're trying to rid them of, I've used brushes of various textures, jet streams of water, plastic "scrubbies", and even the shop vac, which actually seemed the best. When trying to clean these, it also helps to have the wheels off if possible. Let us know if you discover a better way!

Sounds like you've pretty much tried everything. I'll try the shop vac next. The Fire Hose Nozzle knocked out most of it then scrubbing with the fender brush got a little more but still not as clean as I wanted.

Lots of Mercedes Benz have these too....they are a big PITA! Depending on what you're trying to rid them of, I've used brushes of various textures, jet streams of water, plastic "scrubbies", and even the shop vac, which actually seemed the best. When trying to clean these, it also helps to have the wheels off if possible. Let us know if you discover a better way!

Archived