Customer Service 866.965.0400

Spilled 20oz of coffee all over, now what?

3PedalMINI

Question

Im such an idiot. Yesterday i picked up my morning coffee and pulled the mini in the garage. I forgot my coffee and being lazy i tried reaching for it standing from outside leaning in (WT was i thinking) well the lid fell off and it slipped out of my hand.

A majority of it pooled in my drivers seat and the rest dripped onto the carpets. I immediately pulled out my steam cleaner and got to work. I removed the mats and hit them really good, then hit the carpets that are permanently attached to the car.

i cleaned all the coffee, dumped the tank and did it again just to make sure i wasn't still picking it up. What i sucked up was clean and didnt have any signs of coffee. I then hit the seat with cleaner/conditioner. left the mats out to dry and left the car out of the garage to heat up and dry the carpets out. when i went to pull it back in the garage last night my car smelled like leather conditioner mixed with stale coffee:help: it not a pleasant smell. My mats are left out just to rule out them smelling. I assume its in the seat, as the pleather soaked it in?:confused:

Ive scrubbed and scrubbed my seat and if i scrub any more i think they will disintegrate.:willy:

I know its not in any carpet or surface so its got to be coming from the seat. The spill was cantained to the driver side seat, front & rear foot wells. How do i get rid of this smell? :help::help:

TIA, im such an idiot. all these years never spilling a drop of coffee in any one of my cars and i go and pull some lazy stuff and this is what happens, err.

1549246-129092786498235257_super.jpg

25 answers to this question

I agree with Mook. Contact Justin. He's not far from you and will have it fixed faster than you can pull your car apart. His shop is the cleanest I have ever seen and his ozone machine kicks butt. Plus he uses only Adam's products!

Lambertville and New Hope are really nice towns. You could drop it off at his shop Sat morning and walk through both towns.

"Where Clean Meets Green" Home

Thanks guys I think I will do it. I've pulled apart the mini cleaned every nook and cranny and its still there:mad: he's about 1:45 from me, I have distributor not far from him so I might just kill two birds with one stone. I must admit an ozone generator is kind of cool, I've also seen his work and is quite impressive:2thumbs:

Eric, I am going to be near you in a few weeks. Maybe we could meet up, I would love to see your shop and pick up some products:)

I would look into an Ozone machine. Contact Justin@SwanCreek. Dude has a real buttkicker of a machine!

Mook

I agree with Mook. Contact Justin. He's not far from you and will have it fixed faster than you can pull your car apart. His shop is the cleanest I have ever seen and his ozone machine kicks butt. Plus he uses only Adam's products!

Lambertville and New Hope are really nice towns. You could drop it off at his shop Sat morning and walk through both towns.

"Where Clean Meets Green" Home

Pulling seats and dismantling is going to be your best bet. It does go away over time, I spilled a cup all over my passenger side and center seat in my truck...Horrible cleaning experience! I didn't have the time to actually pull the seats apart to get at more of the foam, but that's about the only way I know of to really get at it.

Brendon, you're gonna have to bite the bullet and pull the seats and carpet out. The seat foam has absorbed all of the coffee, chemicals, and other goodies that you've tried, also the carpet and jute pad under the carpet will stay wet for years unless you pull it out and get it stretched out on the garage floor or driveway out in the sun. then re-clean using minimal cleaners & lots of clean water. It will dry, I speak from several personal experiences! :2thumbs:

Well i got ozium and it helped a bit but its defiantly covering it up. I haven't got it all out, thats for sure.

Seeing as it 'pooled' in the seat it likely got between the base and seatback where there are seams and exposed foam likely. If possible you may want to try and loosen the seatback however its attached an clean down in there.

I know I've spilled things in this same place and had to fully disassemble the seat to get to all of it.

I will do this, im going to have to. With the smell of stale coffee, leather cleaner, steam cleaning solution and now Ozium it seriously smells like a 80 year old mans car that has never been cleaned before:lolsmack:

Seeing as it 'pooled' in the seat it likely got between the base and seatback where there are seams and exposed foam likely. If possible you may want to try and loosen the seatback however its attached an clean down in there.

I know I've spilled things in this same place and had to fully disassemble the seat to get to all of it.

I own a Auto repair shop and I get customers cars in that mice have died in the heater box.
WTH...:willy::willy::willy:

You might want to try tossing a Downy Dryer sheet under your seat to get rid of some of the smell. It makes your car smell fresh and is pretty inexpensive because you can change them every week if need be.:thumbsup:

Brendon, it will go through the stitching joints. If possible pull the seat, flip it over and see if the foam is accessible. Stick your face in there and smell. If you smell it, its in the foam. For that you may want to ask Dylan, Mook, or Adam himself..

There's usually a thin carpet pad or sound damper under the carpet. Odds are, some soaked into that and a simple steam vac won't get it out. I'd recommend pulling the driver's seat, door sills and folding back the carpet and looking/smelling. Plan on cleaning the metal under the carpet, airing out the carpet/pad itself and having a fun fun fun time doing all of this.

Or, cover it up with air freshener and go eat some Mexican food.

:lol::lol::lol: you got me dieing on that one. :lol:

Im afraid ill have to do this:mad: Im more worried that it seeped into my seat cushion. Any idea if pleather will allow liquids to seep down into the foam?:confused:

Seriously, try the Ozium. It covers up smells very well.

Ill give it a try, Thanks! online says walgreens has it instock down the road from me. It has 5 stars, i like the review from the 14yr old kid that says it works really well covering up the "Happy Smoke" in his room:lol::help:

I own a Auto repair shop and I get customers cars in that mice have died in the heater box. I always spray Ozium in the duct system when done cleaning it out. Customers are very happy. I don't think it is a permanent fix to smells though if the source isn't completely removed. It is a air sanitizer and kills germs and bacteria. Might try spraying some on the carpet to keep it from mildew from the dampness? Test a inconspicuous area first.

Thats what im afraid of, i dont want to cover up the odor for a few weeks, Especially if its coming from the seat cushion or an area that im missing. Ill shoot it on the carpet too, thats a good idea to keep it from mildew:mad:

ugh...i forsee alot of work in my future:help::help::help:

Seriously, try the Ozium. It covers up smells very well.

I own a Auto repair shop and I get customers cars in that mice have died in the heater box. I always spray Ozium in the duct system when done cleaning it out. Customers are very happy. I don't think it is a permanent fix to smells though if the source isn't completely removed. It is a air sanitizer and kills germs and bacteria. Might try spraying some on the carpet to keep it from mildew from the dampness? Test a inconspicuous area first.

Guest Gone & Forgotten

There's usually a thin carpet pad or sound damper under the carpet. Odds are, some soaked into that and a simple steam vac won't get it out. I'd recommend pulling the driver's seat, door sills and folding back the carpet and looking/smelling. Plan on cleaning the metal under the carpet, airing out the carpet/pad itself and having a fun fun fun time doing all of this.

Or, cover it up with air freshener and go eat some Mexican food.

Thanks for the baking soda idea.

I have since bought 6 fridge packs and a couple regular baking soda and spread them out on paper plates and put them all over my car. Been in for 24 hours and my car still smells like a old southwest airplane:lolsmack:

It's not my DD so I'll leave it in for the week. I have also re shampooed the carpets and the water is clear and soapy.

The smell has to be coming from the seat:help:

I'm not a fabreeze fan so I'm not using that. Any other ideas are welcome!?!?

Guest Gone & Forgotten
Why not try Febreze?

Was in a touring band for 3.5 years (1998-2001) and I used to spray Febreze into my guitar cases (without guitars in them) to battle the smell of cigarette smoke. (And I smoke) - I still have the guitars and cases - and the stench of stale Febreze.

Febreze is a bandaid. Don't cover up the problem, find what the problem is and fix it. :)

I love the commercials tho, nasty kids room, overloaded trash can... just spray Febreze - don't clean the room or empty the trash ya lazy son of a... oh look, Charlie Sheen is on TMZ...

My African Grey Parrot, Joey, has learned the Febreze whistle very well. Funny thing is, she only does it when we're cleaning the house.

Archived