Customer Service 866.965.0400

Grit Guards Don't Fit Regular Buckets?

zw470

Question

I bought 2 five gallon buckets from Advance Auto and my grit guards only go about 2/3 of the way down into the bucket. I was under the impression that the guards were supposed to sit on the bottom of the bucket. Are they designed to only work with the Adam's buckets or are the ones I bought from AA just not standard size?

23 answers to this question

This was already covered in a thread a while ago...and the best course of action is just to bring the grit guards with you. I doubt the QC on the buckets are all that good. They fit in some of my OTC buckets, and do not in others.

I will say if you have the money get the bucket caddies. The thumb screws line-up perfectly with the grid guard and prevent it from spinning and floating. If your grit guard spin's in the bucket, it's pointless. Every twist of the mitt is just going to agitate all the crap in the bucket.

In my opinion, that's how they should fit. If they are too tight, they get stuck. Mine are slightly loose inside the buckets. Once hit with water, they stay down. Some people use fishing line and mini weights underneath them.

:2thumbs:

The first bucket I got seems perfect. The grit gard isn't snug, will spin slightly and stays in place. The second one, I will need to use something to weigh it down - it is way too loose.

Not always, the bucket and grit guard I had delivered last Tuesday don't really play well together. The grit guard floats once I put water in the bucket.

In my opinion, that's how they should fit. If they are too tight, they get stuck. Mine are slightly loose inside the buckets. Once hit with water, they stay down. Some people use fishing line and mini weights underneath them.

:2thumbs:

Simple solution...buy the Adam's buckets.

:D

Not always, the bucket and grit guard I had delivered last Tuesday don't really play well together. The grit guard floats once I put water in the bucket.

I've seen variation in bucket sizes so great that in some cases the grit guard had almost an inch of clearance all the way around, and others where it can't even fit half way... just depends on the bucket.

The exact diameter of the grit guard sitting on my desk is exactly 10.375" so you'll want a bucket thats close to that without going under. Also, remember not all buckets are the same OD at the top as they are at the bottom. You don't want anything too tight b/c the grit guard can get lodged in the bottom and be difficult to remove.

Like everyone else has said, they fit in standard size buckets. I use a rawlings baseball bucket for my "clean" bucket and an Lowes bucket for my "dirty" bucket both with grit guards that sit tightly on the bottom of the bucket.

I use leaktite 5 gal white buckets from home depot leaktite makes HD orange bucket and prob. lowe's buckets too I just didn't want a orange bucket :lol:, it might be a little tight towards the bottom just give it a tap and it will fit perfect, (SO DITCH THE ADAVANCE Auto Parts BUCKETS)

I'w with Darryl, the buckets are not standard size. That being said, you could buy buckets from HD or Lowe's in separate areas of the country and they would be different sizes. I would suggest making a cardboard template of the Grit Guard and taking it bucket shopping!

My guess is those buckets are not standard sized.....they will fit in any "standard" 5 gallon bucket. I've used drywall and paint buckets with no problems.

- Darryl

Yep they also fit great in the nice buckets that gear lube ect comes in, like from NAPA or carquest.

Archived