Customer Service 866.965.0400

Rescuing microfiber

goodmike

Question

After countless admonitions about not washing my "car towels", my wife decided to throw some of my best, plush microfibers in with the rest of the laundry. She used "All" with some kind of "Oxy-?" additive, Downy fabric softener and dried them in the dryer.

My question is, can my towels be salvaged? Is boiling with white vinegar the answer? Or maybe multiple washings with Woolite. My wife thought I was over reacting until asked her for $100.00 to replace the towels. Hope someone can help.:help:

Edited by goodmike

22 answers to this question

Definitely boil them. This should release the fabric softener. After the boil, rewash them by themselves in cold water and some of Adam's Microfiber Revitalizer - air fluff or air dry. They more than likely can be saved. If not - like Bruce said, they will still be good for door jambs, wheels, and interior.

via Tapatalk on my Galaxy Slll

Ha. I suck. Let me ask the proper way.

- How much water is used

- how many towels per use

- how long to boil

- do you add more vinegar each batch

- should this be done once or twice before a washing machine cleaning

Thanks. It's time to boil mine.

tap a talka thingy

Well, here's my recipe. The largest pot we have holds about 4 gal. I filled it with maybe 3 gal. of water and 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar. After the water boiled, I dipped each towel, separately, for one min. I added water after two towels and made sure the water was always boiling. After I boiled all my towel (8), I rinsed them in cold water. Then I washed them in Woolite as per directions on bottle. I then repeated the Woolite wash with an extra rinse. I let them air dry for 24 hours. They all passed the CD test.

Thanks again to all for your advice. :2thumbs:

At a loss on the washing of the towels, seriously. Why can't they be washed and dried the same as anything else? The idea is to keep them supple, lint free and not wear them out from washing and boiling water before you use them? Is it the towel or how the towel is used, would think a light circular motion would produce the desired results.

Any info on this back to the beginning and basics from what I know and from what I'm reading here would be good....