Customer Service 866.965.0400

Lease on the Edge is coming up..

MAYBEN

So the lease on the Wife's Edge is coming up and we are hoping to get something a little bigger..

Ideally, we will have a child or two soon and would like to still be able to make trips to visit my Family in RI with Smokey and Bandit in the car as well..

I like the Grand Cherokee, the Durango looks cool, Explorer isn't bad, and LOVE THE TAHOE (gas would suck)

I went to where a buddy of mine works and looked at the GC which didn't have a third row available so we test drove the Durango w/ Hemi.. it drove nice, but the Wife thought it felt too big and did not like the dash/nav look..

So we had him pull up an Explorer.. the interior is just about iii-dentical to the Edge, which makes the Wife happy as she loves her Edge..

We looked at doing it a couple months early and the price wasn't bad with 2k TOP, but 800 of that was the last two payments rolled in, which I wasn't a fan of, so we're waiting..

in the meantime, being the longtime GM fan, we may also take a look at the Traverse..

As far as options, it has to have navigation and leather.. there are a few other things, but those are the most important, lol..

Does anyone on here have the newer style Explorer?

I do like the new Explorers, but I can recommend the Traverse. We had a 2009 LTZ and put 90k on it within 3 years. The Traverse was amazing. We made so many winter snowboarding trips all over Canada, Vermont and Maine and it handled so well in those conditions. There is tons of room but feels like you are driving something so much smaller. I can't say enough about how happy we were with it.

But like I said in the beginning, those new Explorers always catch my eye and that's coming from a die hard Chevy fan.

Good luck

Adams idea is right on Nick. I would def consider trying that out to see how much you enjoy the ride of each one.

I know two people that purchased the explorer and my neighbor just purchased a Traverse.

My cousin hates his explorer .. I guess he said lots of issues with electronics with the Nav and the sync Ford offers. My friend says he has no issues with his explorer.

The Traverse that my neighbor purchased is a 2013 .. really roomy inside.. I couldn't believe it until I rode in it. Looks are deceiving.

My wife and I were just looking at them ourselves and also the Buick Enclave.

In that price range its a tough choice IMO. There is so many things you can look at for the price.

Do what Adams stated.. Im sure you will get a better feel for them that way.

With the need for more room, and your wifes comfort with the Edge already have you considered the Flex? Tons of room... but still lower to the ground. I've driven one and they feel a lot smaller than something like a Tahoe, but likely have more interior passenger room.

Just an idea.

If it was me an i wanted to go a little larger than the edge I would get a Tahoe, but MPG's are not the best. Then I would really consider looking into the Chevy Traverse, or the GMC Acadia. They have just been upgraded for 2013, they have lots of room and get descent MPGs, but i am bias

The Traverse is rated at 25mpg Highway and you can get about 20-21 in a Tahoe2013-Chevrolet-Traverse-front-view-in-motion.jpg

other than the traverse, what about the GMC Acadia? same platform. my parents own an 08 acadia and it's roomy; seats 7 comfortably yet not as bulky as the tahoe. its been really reliable, although she's had it in for a recall 3 times now on the steering column whining; which was resolved in newer model years. and the new design models are awesome!

I'm in a simmilar spot with my company Taurus, it's up soon and I can pick the Explorer, Edge or Escape. The Edge was least comfortable to me, the Explorer most attractive and the Escape is kinda funky.

The Explorer is reported as getting pretty poor MPG and lots of issues with the MyFord Touch interface. The current updates are supposed to have fixed the issues, but it will take time to prove out. The interior is pretty tight for a large vehicle, I've read the Traverse is better all round.

The rent each for a weeks sounds like a good way to test them out.

I agree with some of the above; look at the similar GMC and Buick offerings. Those cars tend to be markets as a bit more premium and thus may come with better features.

I'd never pay extra for a factory-in dash nav system. They're stupidly overpriced and become obsolete fast -- or the dealer is going to gouge you for system updates. You can buy feature-rich Gamin Nuvi's with brand new/lifetime maps for $99 a pop.

With the need for more room, and your wifes comfort with the Edge already have you considered the Flex? Tons of room... but still lower to the ground. I've driven one and they feel a lot smaller than something like a Tahoe, but likely have more interior passenger room.

Just an idea.

I asked, but she hates the look of the Flex

I'd stick with the Edge!

I love the way they look, and like them a lot more than the Explorer. Which is on a car sized chassis, no?

I believe the Explorer is on a smaller chassis than previous..

Edge is outgrown once we finally have a kid..

If it was me an i wanted to go a little larger than the edge I would get a Tahoe, but MPG's are not the best. Then I would really consider looking into the Chevy Traverse, or the GMC Acadia. They have just been upgraded for 2013, they have lots of room and get descent MPGs, but i am bias

The Traverse is rated at 25mpg Highway and you can get about 20-21 in a Tahoe2013-Chevrolet-Traverse-front-view-in-motion.jpg

I want a Tahoe, but MPG will be ****ty for city mix.. and my Wife wasn't a fan of the size of the Durango, doubt she'll like the bigger Tahoe

I agree with some of the above; look at the similar GMC and Buick offerings. Those cars tend to be markets as a bit more premium and thus may come with better features.

I'd never pay extra for a factory-in dash nav system. They're stupidly overpriced and become obsolete fast -- or the dealer is going to gouge you for system updates. You can buy feature-rich Gamin Nuvi's with brand new/lifetime maps for $99 a pop.

she likes having it in the dash.. (I like TomTom better than Garmin anyways, lol)

Here's my take on the subject. We have an Enclave which is the same as the Acadia and Traverse. The updated versions are now out and look dang good IMO. We have 110,000 miles on ours. It was our Exec VP of sales vehicle and he drove it ALL over the Midwest to our locations so 95% of the miles are highway. We've had no failures on it since new, I had a FULL service done right at 100,000 miles, at about the same time I put on new sway bar end links on and at about 105 I had front struts put on and I have a set of rear shocks in the garage waiting to be installed. Overall, it's been a GREAT vehicle for us. My wife puts on about 5000 miles a year right now so it makes NO sense to buy something new for us.

Ford Explorer: Biggest problem is "MyTouch" which is again being updated by Ford plus they've extended the warranty on it to 5 years. (as of 11/29/12)

My parents have a late model Explorer and it's quiet, tight, and solid as a rock. One negative is the back seats are tight with a rear facing car seat installed. Power is quite adequate as well IMO.

Explorer Sport: Our Exec VP of sales just traded in his 2011 Explorer with 75,000 miles and had only one problem. A fan relay I believe was a problem with the first batch leaving the factory. His (like my parents) was one of the first off the line.

Anyway... He ordered a BLACK on BLACK E sport and MAN is it HOT looking... 21" wheels and tires, Eco-Boost... Just sweet and MAN is it fast. (for an SUV)

Tahoe: I'd bet they'll come out with new one here shortly and offer different engine packages as well. I'd be fearful to buy a model when I knew a new one may be out in a year or so. (residual/resale)

As for GPS, I agree. It's a rip getting the factory installed unit. I actually like using my phone and plugging it in to the aux input. I have XM on it so I kick it on, set the GPS and when it talks it mutes the music and I can here the gal talk. Best of both worlds IMO. Best part is I can add in all the addresses and such in my house. :2thumbs:

Chris

Edited by Chewy

the new 2014 Tahoes, Yukons, and Escalades are projected to arrive Q413. the new design hasn't been released yet, but i know the new trucks are going to be revealed December 13th.

don't get a full size SUV yet, if its a GM ;)

as for the GPS, i was told that Cadillac offers free map updates on 2011 and newer vehicles because its just a software update; not a disc like previous versions. i don't know if that has extended down to the other GM brands yet; but it sure is convenient to have a nav built in to the vehicle.

I would do what Adam said, rent for a week and you will know. I would think about how many miles she will drive in a year and weather also.

I would go with a GMC Yukon or GMC GMC Acadia. One of my recent road trips I drove the company 2010 Chevy Tahoe Z71. I was very impressed how it handled and how comfortable the driver seat was.

• 1 month later...

Well, we have been talking with a couple different dealers including two of which I know people..

long story short, its tough to tell who's being honest.. we ended up signing a deal on Saturday and just today, I received an email with a pretty significant amount of savings.. being that we haven't picked up the new one yet, I can still back out, but I want to make sure it's not BS..

I'll post when I learn more..