Customer Service 866.965.0400

"So why do you put so much into detailing"

Brandon Lutz

Question

Last week I drove my Camaro down to the family farm to give it a bath and to detail it for the first time in 5 weeks. It's been either raining or sleeting here the last month or so and other than the occasional coin op pressure wash my car has not been washed at all.

Anyways, on Sunday I start about 9 AM in the morning. I started my usual routine, clean the engine bay and then the wheels, tires and inside the fenders.

After that I do the foam gun, hand wash, dry etc..

Well as we all know before you know it's late in the evening before you finish or are almost finished with your vehicle. My older sister stops by to speak to my father and they are outside at his shop talking about something.

All of a sudden I hear the inevitable "Why do you put so much into detailing your car? It looks cleaner and more shiny than when you bought it new?"

With the Americana tub in my left hand and the applicator in my right, I quickly respond with "That's the point"

To which they really have no response to:jester:. I just hear my sister go "Oh".

My logic is sound and it is unquestionable. In due time they shall be assimilated into the detailing collective.:pc:

21 answers to this question

I'm with you. I just find it odd when your family doesn't get it; seems like it would be genetic.

It could be. My old man is a car guy but isn't really a "detailer". I have converted him over the years but I got this obsession on my own...

People like us are just a different breed lol

Well my father is a farmer and everything he works with is dirty so I think he just kind of accepts dirt as the norm as far as vehicle and equipment goes. He actually just sold his 3 year old GMC Sierra 2500 and upgraded to a brand new 2500 HD.

The previous truck got washed twice a year: Once at the beginning of the year and then once after Sugar Cane season is over. It makes sense though for a farm vehicle as if you wash it on Sunday it will probably covered in dirt and/or mud the following morning. My mother likes her vehicles clean but she is unwilling to go the lengths that we do lol, I'm just happy I have her finally using a two bucket wash and real microfiber.

Me being OCD about a clean vehicle came from somewhere in the family however. My uncle (my fathers brother) is an old Machinist and hot rodder. He rebuilds an old 30's or 40's coupe every few years and his attention to detail is impressive.

the spouses and girlfriends tend to catch on after a month or two.... if they don't then out the door they go!

You have a spouse.. and girlfriends? Meow. Haha..

Yeah my girlfriend hates that I take so much time detailing my car... but it gives her time to relax, shop, clean the house.. my detail time is her alone time.. she just hates that I tell her to only touch the rubber around my window to close the door.. not the paint or glass. Lol

a7eby7ug.jpg

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

You have a spouse.. and girlfriends? Meow. Haha..

Yeah my girlfriend hates that I take so much time detailing my car... but it gives her time to relax, shop, clean the house.. my detail time is her alone time.. she just hates that I tell her to only touch the rubber around my window to close the door.. not the paint or glass. Lol

a7eby7ug.jpg

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

LOL, no i have a spouse that once was a girlfriend who had to see the light before marriage! :willy:

Agreed, after a long week I love spending a Friday night in the garage detailing. It's my stress relief.

Ryan

:pc: couldn't agree more. I've been collecting Adams Polishes stuff and am about ready to take my obsession to an entirely new level.