Customer Service 866.965.0400

More bad news..

MAYBEN

Some of you may have already seen on Facebook.

Last year Smokey was diagnosed with a heart murmur and we had to get an ultrasound. They said he had Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy, but they didn't seem that worried and just said to look out for certain things, like Smokey acting different than normal, losing breath rather easily from things like walking up the stairs..

Smokey seemed great. Very active around the house, extremely playful with Bandit and running around the house.

We took Smokey and Bandit to the vet for their yearly checkup on Monday after work. Smokey was first up, the vet checked him out, listened to his heart, said it was a little fast, but it was probably because he was there.. he gave him his shots and we discussed the ultrasound from last year and he said he didn't think we needed one this year. We discussed the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy and asked what symptoms to watch out for just so it would be fresh on our minds, and the only thing he mentioned was sudden death. He then examined Bandit and gave him his shots and we talked a little more.

On the way out, we were at the counter paying when Smokey made a weird sound, put his paw on the top of the carrier and collapsed.. I immediately told the vet tech and he grabbed the vet and they grabbed him, brought him in the back and performed CPR.

The vet said that unfortunately said if it didn't happen that day, it most likely would have been soon.. he also mentioned that if they were successful in bringing him back, he would've only made it a month at best..

I followed them and anxiously watched them try to resuscitate Smokey and they tried and tried and nothing.

He was only 3-1/2 years old.. My Wife and I are heartbroken and still in shock.. Yesterday, I tried to keep my office door shut most of the day and just try to keep busy, which didn't work out that well, the same went for today..

All the little things that Smokey did on a daily basis, I find myself looking for, and hoping that I'd wake up from this nightmare.

Smokey was a great Companion to Kim and Myself and also a best Friend and Brother to Bandit. He will forever be a part of our Family and shall remain in our hearts.

Lots of tears have been shed since and I'm sure theres more to come.. We are devastated and cannot understand why things continue to be difficult for us, whether it's our Pets, trying to have children, the house, our Jobs, etc, everything seems to be a big challenge..

Sorry for the long thread, but I figured I'd fill in my Adams Family..

Rest in peace Smokey! We miss and love you!

September 8, 2009 - February 4, 2013

Some pictures through the past couple years..

SampB.jpg

Edited by MAYBEN

Sorry to hear about this Nick. I hope the best for you guys.

Jeez, I almost feel the least I can do is to come over there and polish up your G8 now.........

......nah, I'm good! (just wanted to throw a smile on your face buddy!) :D

Smokey was a beautiful dog, so sorry for your loss. Recently had to put down my 11 year old yellow lab, loved that dog and it was the hardest day of my life. Amazing how we become so attached to our pets, and can't go one day without them. It was actually harder on me losing my dog than both my parents. Sounds weird, but I got my lab for my mom years ago when she had breast cancer, to cheer her up (worked great lol), and after I lost both parents my pup was all I had left

Nick Im really sorry to hear this. I have been there before buddy and I know its not easy. Just make sure you support each other and make sure you help Bandit out. Dogs are known to get depressed and have heartache when a love one passes just like a human.

Think about adopting another kitten?

I am so sorry for your loss. It's one thing when they are older or ill, but when they are young and it is sudden, it is especially tough. As an animal lover myself, I cannot imagine losing of my kitties. Hell, I don't do well when I lose a fish.