Customer Service 866.965.0400

Do you polish the roof? (SUV/Trucks)

carlrx7

Question

On larger vehicles where only semi trucks see your roof do you spend the extra time to polish out any imperfections? At most a quick over of FMP. then sealant and wax of course to protect.

Someone please tell me im not a bad person. lol

-Carl

ROFL, I just finished polishing the Wife's SUV and totally omitted the roof. That thing is so big I'm so tired by the end of it I said screw the roof. That said, now that the entire SUV is done and sealed I can go back and hit the roof without much time spent.

Funny you should ask that. I have a 2012 4Runner to detail starting tomorrow. I would not want to cheat the owner out of a complete job I will NOT neglect the roof. I have high standards and I will treat his SUV like I would my own.

I polish and treat the roof just like the rest of the car. In my mind, the roof hits the top of the car all day. I want it to be protect just as much as the rest of the car.

Think he was talking about all out 100% swirl correction as opposed to quick 1 step and seal.

Not gonna lie, even on my Explorer I'm not spending the time when I do the roof to get it 100% swirl free. It's gonna get a solid 80% with a 1 step and then sealed and waxed. Car is a DD and won't stay perfect up there anyway.

Think he was talking about all out 100% swirl correction as opposed to quick 1 step and seal.

Not gonna lie, even on my Explorer I'm not spending the time when I do the roof to get it 100% swirl free. It's gonna get a solid 80% with a 1 step and then sealed and waxed. Car is a DD and won't stay perfect up there anyway.

I would still give it the attention to detail it deserves just like I would on my own. It's not like the owner can't stand on the door sill and look at the roof. "The roof doesn't look like the rest of the paint." :lol:

On our SUV I always do the roof first, the rest of the car is fun:)

Kevin

ROFL, I just finished polishing the Wife's SUV and totally omitted the roof. That thing is so big I'm so tired by the end of it I said screw the roof. That said, now that the entire SUV is done and sealed I can go back and hit the roof without much time spent.

On our SUV I always do the roof first, the rest of the car is fun:)

Kevin

Same here, I do the roof first so I can do the rest of the truck in the garage. Can't do roof in garage.

Someone please tell me im not a bad person. lol

-Carl

You are a bad person. Now, straighten your act up! LOL

I try to treat the roof like I do the rest of the SUV, with maybe just a little less discerning eye towards perfection.

On my suburban, I protect the roof but do not polish. I put a leveling kit and 33's so your never going to see the roof. I add the protection so that my paint stays intact but its never seen so I do not worry about correcting it.

I do polish the roof, I have done my trucks and do my wife's SUV, but I'm so short that I even need a step stool to do the roof of my SHO. But I agree, I normally will do the roof first because it's the part I dread doing the most. Lastly, I don't polish or do correction as often as I will do the rest of the car. But I do feel guilty about that.

I was thinking of making the same topic when i cleaned up my silverado. i say no. Im not going to spend time on the roof when only a few will ever see the top. Im 5'6" i can't see the roof unless i jump haha

Wife has an Odyssey. There is no way I would polish the roof. I wash, clay, and seal it. Just too hard with the height, grooves, and shear size. Just not worth it for a part of the vehicle you never see. I would maybe polish it if I could suspend some kind of Tom Cruise Mission Impossible rig from the ceiling.

I always do the roof. It needs to be clayed and polished up (not perfect, but close), and ALWAYS gets MSS up there. Need the armor on black paint in a marine environment. It gets cooked in our sun, and this DD lives outside. The MSS is amazingly tough. I do the entire car with MSS on the paint, and then top optionally with BG and Americana as I can.