Customer Service 866.965.0400

Removing Scratches Underneath Door Handle

IrishCurse

Question

I have seen a few of you remove these scratches.  The results have varied, but I've seen Chase remove them nearly 100 percent and I'm wondering what the best technique is.  Revive by hand will do some correction, but not much I don't think.  How would one machine polish this?  The focus pads and drill seem like the best option, but this introduces holograms to the area that need to be addressed by a DA and I can't see how one will get in there.  Maybe the focus pads on my PC will get under there well enough?

Do you have the swirl & haze remover hand applicator?  Try using that w/ old SHR or PCP.  Followed by Revive & the corresponding applicator.  It may take some time but its accomplishable.  

By all means if you think the 4in. focus pad on the PC can fit under the handles that would be ideal but I haven't tried that myself so I wouldn't know. 

Great Joseph!  Looking very forward to it.  This thread will directly aid in my ability to provide a good, free favor to a close friend.  His wife wants to ditch the car and get a new because of a few problem areas, including headlight restoration.

I wrapped a utility towel (short nap provides a bit more bite) around my index finger, put a drop of PCP on the end, and just scrubbed the area back and forth, up and down (mimicking the movement of a polisher) until the polish was gone. Used a single soft to wipe off the residue, and bam:

Before:

20130731_130331.jpg

After:

20130731_130437.jpg

Adam's Correction Polish.  Generic Microfiber hand applicator pad.  Two drops.  Scrub like mad.  Two-three passes.  DONE.  :D

Revive is a great paint CLEANING polish, but it has no cut to it, so using Revive to remove scratches is like trying to wash a car with a wooden wash mit.....does no good, lol. :)  You need something with cut.

Or if it tickles your fancy, do 1 drop of PCP, and 1 drop of PFP.  But just some good ol' elbow grease and and old generic microfiber applicator.  You need something slim to fit UNDER the door handle.  I found foam doesn't work, because it's usually too soft.  The MF provides a little more heat to the mix.

Edited by Chase@Adams

I have had great results from claying the area under the door handle then followed by Revive alone and have never tried to get some kind polishing pad in there since the area if usually very tight. While using a more aggressive polish (or compound) is a great option in case the area is heavily effected, the simple two step clay followed by Revive Polish has yet to let me down. I've used this with just a Blue Hex Grip Applicator or the Microfiber Applicator Pads. 

I know you're trying to achieve something with a machine, however there is a lot of people out there who don't put a machine down on their vehicle and have no reason to buy such products like PCP of PFP. With Revive being a hand polish this is something everyone can pick up and lay down and see how well it works on so many things beside just fingernail scratches. 

I was reluctant at first to believe, however there is a thread from a little while back from some newbie detailer (wink wink) that pointed this out for me to become interested in trying. Since then I've been hooked. Here's what made me get out and try it as soon as I saw it.  :2thumbs:

http://www.adamsforums.com/topic/17175-detailed-nissan-murano/?hl=murano

So if the scratches are that bad where Revive can't resolve then like mentioned prior some PCP or PFP would do the trick with a preferred microfiber or foam applicator.

Here's a quote from the thread I linked...

A lot of time the scratches are very superficial or just scuffs/nail polish transfer /etc. By simply using a product that cleanses the area they're diminished to a point that you won't be able to see them or removed completely. 

It tends to be the most dramatic on white as that area shows up really bad. 

Mixing a couple of drops of Swirl & Haze Remover or even going to the orange hex grip will sometimes get you added 'oomph!' if you need it. 

Since this was mentioned prior to PCP or PFP being released the same could be applied with those products in replace of SHR.

Edited by JBlack151

I went at it today. My process was revive on blue app and just try to get them out. It was extremely tight in there so it was hard to really get some heat going. Will be trying what chase said.

Here is the before 

BeforeRevive.jpg

Here is the after. Not much improvement but there is def a small difference in person. 

The Deep scratches are still there, but the mini ones are almost gone.

Afterrevive.jpg

Tomorrow when I have more time and better weather I will tackle it with a more aggressive procedure. 

Ooo and I also put my new WWP decal on my window to go along with the Adam's one.   :)

Newwwp.jpg

I am late to this thread but this is where the old Adams Orange/Blue flip pad works wonders. Fits perfect in the door handle area of most cars I have tried it on. Got mine from Thompson Racing. Maybe some local dealers still have a few. I think this pad really did not get the love it deserved. It is perfect for touch ups or in tight spots you can not use the PC.

Do you have the swirl & haze remover hand applicator?  Try using that w/ old SHR or PCP.  Followed by Revive & the corresponding applicator.  It may take some time but its accomplishable.  

By all means if you think the 4in. focus pad on the PC can fit under the handles that would be ideal but I haven't tried that myself so I wouldn't know. 

I second that. This is exactly how I do it and it works every time