Customer Service 866.965.0400

Total Interior Detailer over Interior/Leather Conditioner?

jtrade

Question

Hello All!  I ordered The Perfect Interior Kit a while back (my first Adam's products) & got the chance to use some of them today...  

- I used the Leather/Interior Cleaner on the whole interior with a utility towel

- Then the glass cleaner (freakin rocks but read in other threads people use utility towels then the green towels cause I had some issues with the green towels sticking)

- Then applied Leather/Interior Conditioner to everything (had a hard time seeing if it was actually getting applied using the red applicators due to the tan interior but I'm hoping I got it applied everywhere)

Couple of questions I could not find by searching...  When do you use the Interior Detail Spray?  Is it OK to use it after the Leather Conditioner?  I didn't want to mess up the SPF of the conditioner so I didn't use any Interior Detail Spray today.  I live in SW GA and really need the SPF protection, especially in the summer.  Windows will be tinted soon to help as well.

Also, how often to use the Leather/Interior Cleaner?  Every time I clean the interior?

The vehicle is basically brand new & still looks brand new on the inside so I was not sure how often to use the Leather/Interior cleaner...

Thanks everyone!

J

And a Pic of Today's Lineup, all freshly opened...

Adams_Interior_Lineup.jpg

The TID has light cleaning properties so it has the potential to "strip" the conditioner out of your leather. What I like to do is keep the products separate for specific surfaces: thick hide leather (seats, door panels) get treated with conditioner, since it needs to soak in. All other surfaces (steering wheel, dashboard, any hard plastics) are treated with TID. Hope this makes sense.

The TID has light cleaning properties so it has the potential to "strip" the conditioner out of your leather. What I like to do is keep the products separate for specific surfaces: thick hide leather (seats, door panels) get treated with conditioner, since it needs to soak in. All other surfaces (steering wheel, dashboard, any hard plastics) are treated with TID. Hope this makes sense.

Makes perfect sense and thanks for the reply!!   I was worried about that which is why I asked...  I will try the TID on some things dont appear to be vinyl/leather next time...  

I guess the Leather/Interior Cleaner is really only needed every so often if u keep the interior clean with either TID or the Conditioner...  I may need to use the Conditioner, at least on the leather seats, again tomorrow cause Im not sure it got applied greatly after using the Cleaner since this was my first time...  The seats are perforated so I didnt want to apply it by hand like I read many do...

Also our steering wheel is leather and boy could I tell a difference when I used the conditioner on it, squeaks like brand new again when you grip it!!

Edited by jtrade

I use the Cleaner/Conditioner combo when I want to do a deep cleaning.  I use the new Total Interior Detailer for normal, weekly wipe-down duties.

Before the Total Interior Detailer came along I used the combo products on everything.  Now I just use the combo on the "soft stuff".  All the plastic gets TID.

edit:  Changed "Total Interior Cleaner" to "Total Interior Detailer".  My bad.

Edited by Beemer

I use the Cleaner/Conditioner combo when I want to do a deep cleaning.  I use the new Total Interior Cleaner for normal, weekly wipe-down duties.

Before the Total interior Cleaner came along I used the combo products on everything.  Now I just use the combo on the "soft stuff".  All the plastic gets TIC.

Thanks!  I will have to check into the Total Interior Cleaner, dont think I got any of that with my kit...

FYI...............the Leather Conditioner also has cleaning properties, PLUS a good SPF rating to protect from sun damage and fade. So I only use the cleaners when my interior is REALLY dirty (which is never) and use the Leather Conditioner regularly to keep the interior clean AND protected.  

FYI...............the Leather Conditioner also has cleaning properties, PLUS a good SPF rating to protect from sun damage and fade. So I only use the cleaners when my interior is REALLY dirty (which is never) and use the Leather Conditioner regularly to keep the interior clean AND protected.  

Thank you & did not know about the cleaning properties, only the SPF which is why I used it on everything (except glass and instrument cluster plastic) today...   Also I really dont care for a semi-gloss or gloss finish & the conditioner left hardly any gloss at all, which is why it was hard for me to see sometimes being in the shade where I got a good application on the tan interior...

I used the Leather/Interior Cleaner only to get off anything we or the dealer may have used before I applied the Adam's Leather Conditioner...

Like you, I dont anticipate the interior of our vehicle every becoming "dirty" since we clean it at least bi-weekly...

I forsee a Gallon of Leather Conditioner in my future since most of our Interior is leather/viny, love the no gloss finish & SPF protectionl!  Plus it smells like that "new car" smell!

Edited by jtrade

Thanks!  I will have to check into the Total Interior Cleaner, dont think I got any of that with my kit...

He meant TID which you have in your picture.  In the Optima I find it works well on the upper dash, but not too well on smooth plastics.  I use leather cleaner on the steering wheel at least once a month as you only need a little bit of conditioner to re-coat it.  The seats normally get TID as it still contains SPF and then conditioner maybe every 3 months.

He meant TID which you have in your picture.  In the Optima I find it works well on the upper dash, but not too well on smooth plastics.  I use leather cleaner on the steering wheel at least once a month as you only need a little bit of conditioner to re-coat it.  The seats normally get TID as it still contains SPF and then conditioner maybe every 3 months.

Awesome, Thanks fellow K5 Owner...  ;)

Also, how often to use the Leather/Interior Cleaner?  Every time I clean the interior?

I didn't see this question answered but it may have.  No, definately not.  You can use Detail Spray for your in between touch-ups, or the TID.  The TID will strip your Conditioner...DS will not.  I prefer to use them on different surfaces, anything that gets full sun, and leather surfaces get the conditioner.  All other surfaces, TID.

Also..if you use the L&IC, make you follow-up with a damp cloth or you'll get runs and streaks. 

Edited by 07RS4

I use the conditioner every time I clean the interior in both the Vette and the daily driver.  Always.  Keeps the leather soft and clean with no build up or residue. Plus keeping it protected from the sun is always good. There's really no reason not to use it each time other than the Detail Spray may be more economical.

The Total Interior Detailer will strip your Conditioner...Detail Spray will not.

Also..if you use the L&IC, make you follow-up with a damp cloth or you'll get runs and streaks. 

Thanks for the info...  The same detail spray for use on the outside of the vehicle?

Also, I didnt get any streaks when I used the L&IC so I wonder if I did not apply enough of it or didn't apply it correctly with the red applicator... I may go over it again today with L&IC cause I dont want anything to dry out...

Edited by jtrade

Thanks for the info...  The same detail spray for use on the outside of the vehicle?

Also, I didnt get any streaks when I used the L&IC so I wonder if I did not apply enough of it or didn't apply it correctly with the red applicator... I may go over it again today with L&IC cause I dont want anything to dry out...

Wait a minute. You say you're using the Leather and Interior Cleaner? You keep using it over and over again you WILL dry out.  You shouldn't be getting streaks from cleaning.  Use the Leather Conditioner!  And IF you get streaks using that, that's good!  It means your leather is dry and that it's soaking the conditioner up at different rates.......some spots are dryer than others, soaking it up faster, and showing up lighter than other spots.  Keep reapplying until you get a uniform finish. Like I said before, I use it on everything in the car except the plastic and glass and carpet, but I use it on the dash, the doors, the shift boot, console, arm rests, seats, etc. 

Wait a minute. You say you're using the Leather and Interior Cleaner? You keep using it over and over again you WILL dry out.  You shouldn't be getting streaks from cleaning.  Use the Leather Conditioner!  And IF you get streaks using that, that's good!  It means your leather is dry and that it's soaking the conditioner up at different rates.......some spots are dryer than others, soaking it up faster, and showing up lighter than other spots.  Keep reapplying until you get a uniform finish. Like I said before, I use it on everything in the car except the plastic and glass and carpet, but I use it on the dash, the doors, the shift boot, console, arm rests, seats, etc. 

I used the cleaner 1 time, really good tho, to clean everything prior to applying the conditioner...  I didnt get any streaking with the conditioner so that is why I was thinking maybe I didnt apply it correctly or use enough of it... Everything I put it on is kinda slick tho, especially the seats which have a semi greasy feel.

Maybe i used the wrong acronym, trying to learn em,,,  By L&IC I meant Leather & Interior Conditioner, sorry if that was the wrong acronym as I thought that is what the previous member meant when they used it...

Edited by jtrade

No problem.  If you're not getting streaking, that's good. That means your fabric is conditioned.  If you still feel product, if it feels greasy, then wipe it down again with a clean micro cloth.  Slick? Yep.  You'll slide right off those suckers. I've done it myself, but it's always funnier when my wife does it. :lolsmack: :lolsmack:

No problem.  If you're not getting streaking, that's good. That means your fabric is conditioned.  If you still feel product, if it feels greasy, then wipe it down again with a clean micro cloth.  Slick? Yep.  You'll slide right off those suckers. I've done it myself, but it's always funnier when my wife does it. :lolsmack: :lolsmack:

Thank you & all others that replied for the help!!!

Before I saw this I decided to go check.  I may have just been freaking out cause I didn't see streaking and worried...  Everything had a slight matte finish except the seats which is kinda hard to see since they are tan...

Any who I went over the seats again & some other areas (dash & door panels) with the conditioner and they are def conditioned/protected now...  This is my fiance's vehicle and the first vehicle she has ever purchased so I want to make darn sure her baby stays in tip top condition, inside and out (more Adam's products will be on the way for the exterior this week, 2 Bucket Wash Kit & Clay Bar)...

I'm still curious if the exterior detail spray is what the member suggested that does not strip the conditioner since the Total Interior Detailer does?  If so I may pickup the Clay Bar Kit with the Extra Detail Spray along with the 2 Bucket Wash Kit...  I need some white micro fibers and also some of the microfiber revitalizer I guess cause I have no clue how to properly wash them as the glass micro is kinda dirty I used yesterday...  Gonna have to read up on the proper washing techniques for these bad boys cause all I have owned before are the 3 for $1.50 cheapos...

Here are a few crappy cell phone pics I just took if anyone wants to see...  :P

And yea pedals got missed during the cleaning process yesterday but that was in the list of the Fiance's responsibilities...   :(  Guess I'll add em to my list this weekend during bath time...

conditioner_01.jpg

conditioner_02.jpg

conditioner_03.jpg

conditioner_04.jpg

conditioner_05.jpg

Edited by jtrade

You shouldn't be getting streaks from cleaning. 

Sorry for the confusion in my statement...if the interior is dirty, and you us the Leather & Interior Cleaner without a post wipe down with a damp rag, it will streak evertime it gets wet, plus you haven't removed all the dirt unless you take a damp cloth to it.  The directions are right on the bottle.... 

Looks awesome man!  Yes, the Detail Spray (they only have one) is just like touching up your interior with the TID minues the SPF protection and cleaning abilities, and the baby powder smell :)

It's just another option for your interior maintenance...without stripping any of the old dressing....

Sorry for the confusion in my statement...if the interior is dirty, and you us the Leather & Interior Cleaner without a post wipe down with a damp rag, it will streak evertime it gets wet, plus you haven't removed all the dirt unless you take a damp cloth to it.  The directions are right on the bottle.... 

No worries, I didnt use the damp cloth cause the interior was pretty darn clean to start with I just wanted to get rid of all the junk we or the dealer used previously so I hit it pretty good with the Interior Cleaner once using the 1st New Utility Micro... Then again using the 2nd New Utility Micro I received with the kit but spraying the Cleaner on the 2nd Micro lightly to remove any crap product we or the dealer might have used that was left over...  I let everything dry for 30mins while doing all the windows before using the Conditioner...  

Think I just got a little worried but now I know...  All the Adam's products are new to me and just want to use them correctly since previously I used junk like Armor All...  :o

Looks awesome man!  Yes, the Detail Spray (they only have one) is just like touching up your interior with the Total Interior Detailer minues the SPF protection and cleaning abilities, and the baby powder smell   :)

It's just another option for your interior maintenance...without stripping any of the old dressing....

Thank you!!  Also thanks for the detail spray tip!!  Will def be picking some of it up with the 2 Bucket Wash Kit, maybe even some extra with the Clay Bar Kit since I read it smells awesome & some spray it on their carpet due to the smell...

Edited by jtrade

Absolutely right. However, I was speaking to the streaking you get when using the Conditioner and it soaks it up in some spots and not in others.  Two different birds in the same next so to speak.

I would recommend to use the interior detailer on dash and trim. It has cleaning properties and UV protection as well as anti-static additives. If you use the leather conditioner on your dash vs the interior detailer you will see dust start to pile up pretty quickly and is alot more noticable.  I've tried it both ways and have personally seen the difference. I use the leather cleaner and the conditioner mostly on my seats. But the Interior detailer can also be used on leather as well.  SVRT is also good on trim and dash but will leave a glossy look, which I didnt really care for. I typically apply SVRT in the cup holders as it has water repellant.  

I would recommend to use the interior detailer on dash and trim. It has cleaning properties and UV protection as well as anti-static additives. If you use the leather conditioner on your dash vs the interior detailer you will see dust start to pile up pretty quickly and is alot more noticable.  I've tried it both ways and have personally seen the difference. I use the leather cleaner and the conditioner mostly on my seats. But the Interior detailer can also be used on leather as well.  SVRT is also good on trim and dash but will leave a glossy look, which I didnt really care for. I typically apply SVRT in the cup holders as it has water repellant.  

Thanks for the info...  I'll try the detailer on the dash and trim in 2 weeks when we detail the car again and see how I like it...  Im not a big fan of glossy but I need to pickup some SVRT (dont have any)...

Edited by jtrade