Customer Service 866.965.0400

Clay Bar Lubrication

07stanggt

Question

Adams has 3 products, detail spray, waterless wash, and now riseless wash, that all have the capabilities (I think) of being used in combo or by themselves, for lubrication when using a clay bar. I have been using detail spray when using a clay bar, can you use the others? Cheaper, better, does it matter ? What are you guys using for claying ??  :huh:

I use the detail spray in conjunction with the water still on the vehicle. Most times I'm claying right after a wash so I don't dry, pull in the garage and start misting detail spray. I just do it this way because I use less spray but still get good lubricity.

DS is a waste IMO.  I have a dedicated clay lube that is cheap & has a very high dilution ratio

Absolutely.  Too many cheap alternatives out there in concentrates that do a great job to ever consider using DS a clay lube, and I never have to worry about being too stingy with using it when claying.  DS as a clay lube is a waste of product and money, IMHO.

I use the detail spray in conjunction with the water still on the vehicle. Most times I'm claying right after a wash so I don't dry, pull in the garage and start misting detail spray. I just do it this way because I use less spray but still get good lubricity.

I have done this plenty of times but only on vehicles that I know have been clayed recently (ideally within the past six months, depending on storage/use conditions). If you have a vehicle that has never been clayed, or hasn't been clayed in over a year and lives outside, you would be better off using Adam's DS - or some other dedicated clay lube of your choice if you prefer - to get the best results, in the least amount of time, safely, from your clay session.

Larry from ****** simply uses the soap water from his bucket for clay bar lube. He said it's wasteful to use dedicated clay lubes or detail sprays.. coming from a guy who sells a detail spray too

QFT.  For my vehicles that get clayed twice a year anyway, after a really good wash, I mix a half bucket of fresh soap, soap up each panel again and clay the crap out of it.  I use my "Claybar alternative" fine grade mitt and follow up with fine grade clay, then give everything a rinse down, and Detail Spray as a drying aid and then I'm ready to polish.

I use Rinseless diluted at Waterless Wash dilution 1:16 as clay lube if I was claying the cars "dry" and not using the soap method I mentioned above.  Detail Spray at $45/gallon is way too much to use a half bottle each time you are claying, and especially when claying glass since you tend to get a TON of contaminants on glass.  I even use my cheap aerosol glass cleaner for claying glass, my good Adam's Glass Cleaner is never used as clay lube when decontaminating glass, way too expensive.

I use Waterless more often than not anymore.  I find that I can use less product because of the lubricity, and still remove surface contamination.

Going to have to try this today, might compare it to the soap method for reference.

From what I understand Waterless Wash is a little too slick to recommend as a clay lube, 

I use Waterless more often than not anymore.  I find that I can use less product because of the lubricity, and still remove surface contamination.

I stand corrected!

TBH I start to see less and less of a use for Detail Spray in my regimen.  Rinseless diluted to waterless ratio is great to spritz down grimy areas before a mitt touches it when doing your normal 2 bucket wash.

I use Waterless as a cleaner when drying the car for cleaning up the door jambs, I find just spritzing the jambs with Waterless (Rinseless diluted 1:16) and wiping dry helps lift the contaminants off and leaves a slick, cleaned surface.

I have also tested Waterless as a spritzing drying agent like Detail Spray is recommended, and to be honest I thought it worked just as good, definitely dried just as well as when I use my (current, on last bottle) V1 Detail Spray as drying agent, no streaks, and I like the lubricity factor in case there is a stray particle on the surface it will get absorbed into the Waterless, then sucked up into my drying towel. 

I definitely have used Waterless (which is now Rinseless 1:16 dilution with water) as a clay lube before, actually got the idea from an Adam's seminar from THE MAN himself, back at Detailers Domain in NJ 2 years ago.

I also use a 1/2 oz. or so of Rinseless in my wash bucket just to keep the water nice and slick and to aid when washing.

I'm sure I'll still buy my refill gallons of Detail Spray, but to be honest the Rinseless/Waterless product really makes 3 or 4 product uses in just one bottle, pretty amazing.

Since it was fairly inexpensive for a gallon which can be diluted if wanted, I bought a competitors specific clay lube. I'm interested to see if there is a difference against the detail spray. I'll be claying more cars this year, and while detail spray isn't budget breaking for me, if something cheaper does the same....