Customer Service 866.965.0400

NEW CAR... New Problems.

weemanSTi

Question

I kind of swore that I would just pay someone to do my detailing for me this time around but... I just can't do it... :'(.

I recent picked up a plasma blue pearl STi and boy is she a great car. Besides being an all around hot rod on the streets... she is also a dark color.. close to black with some pearlescent purple/blue action in the sun.

Now, the dealer had detailed it since it was meant for some other guy who had no idea dealers ruin cars.. typically ( not always) but I got a hold of her... swirls and all.

Here is where the fun begins... and I am sure waiting to use my arms heh...

This will be my first extensive swirl removal campaign as I have always owned some alpine white or brilliant white car in the past.

Without sounding like a newb...

Omg help me.. I am desperate and in need of someones toutelage.. I have searched and searched but still feel lost :'(.

Again thanks for the help and hope to be a loyal customer for years on end... the car is going to need it :0.

23 answers to this question

First off, welcome to the forum!

Everyone here is more than happy to help you and Adam's is by the far the best company when it comes to products and customer service.

If you are new to polishing and detailing, i agree with everyone else.  Go to Adam's YouTube channel and watch the Guide to Machine Polishing.  Then, come back here if you have any questions.

You will go from a NewB to a Pro in no time!

Wow, I think I have a much better understanding of what I need to do as I start at this anew w/ a new perspective.

Though machine polishing would be great to do right now.. it doesn't matter much if I do not preserve that finish and I think I should invest in a 2 bucket system w/some general cleaning in mind as well for all the other nit bits.

Even though I have some swirls to take care of, I think I will first invest in

1. Car wash shampoo

2. 2 grit guards for my buckets

3. Detail Spray

4. General Purpose

My question about the general purpose though is that if this will be enough for my wheels at the moment? Since I have 4 piston brakes and this vehicle is Daily Driven.. I am sure there will be enough brake dust to clean + clearance is tight.. The offset is high and I am working with Subaru-Impreza_WRX_STI_2011_1280x960_wal

that much of clearance.

5 (deep wheel cleaner) yay or nay..

6. Buttery Wax

Can I go without a sealant for now?

7. Assorted Towels of course!

For wheel cleaners it depends how often you clean them.  If you clean them often, car shampoo or APC will be fine.  If you wait longer GWC or DWC may be needed.  However, you should still get the DWC as it can also be used on paint to remove embedded iron contamination.  

Instead of buttery wayx, get Quick Sealant.  It will last longer, provide better protection, and you can get many applications from one can.  You can also use it on the wheels, glass, trim, plastics, etc.

Make sure you get towels right away.  There is no sense in correcting your paint only to mess it up with cheap towels.

Also consider the wheel woolies on the discontinued page.  They are a fantastic tool, especially at that price.

Edited by SYMAWD

For wheel cleaners it depends how often you clean them.  If you clean them often, car shampoo or APC will be fine.  If you wait longer GWC or DWC may be needed.  However, you should still get the DWC as it can also be used on paint to remove embedded iron contamination.  

Instead of buttery wayx, get Quick Sealant.  It will last longer, provide better protection, and you can get many applications from one can.  You can also use it on the wheels, glass, trim, plastics, etc.

Make sure you get towels right away.  There is no sense in correcting your paint only to mess it up with cheap towels.

Also consider the wheel woolies on the discontinued page.  They are a fantastic tool, especially at that price.

Thanks!

Edited by weemanSTi

Photos of the swirls help us know how much damage you're trying to correct.

I just got a car, 4000mi - from FL so no harsh winter....

Damage was minor swirls, some straight cuts. I used White Foam Pad and finishing Polish combo for most of it with my Flex. For the straight cuts, I used my porter cable 7424xp with the orange pad and the correcting polish.

I'm saving the microfiber pads for my wife's black 2012 chrysler 300 which hasn't been polished in over a year. The MF pads are a much heavier cut and to the untrained person, can cause micro-marring.

Edited by PaintTech

Photos of the swirls help us know how much damage you're trying to correct.

I just got a car, 4000mi - from FL so no harsh winter....

Damage was minor swirls, some straight cuts. I used White Foam Pad and finishing Polish combo for most of it with my Flex. For the straight cuts, I used my porter cable 7424xp with the orange pad and the correcting polish.

I'm saving the microfiber pads for my wife's black 2012 chrysler 300 which hasn't been polished in over a year. The MF pads are a much heavier cut and to the untrained person, can cause micro-marring.

Definitely! I was going to take a few pictures of her today but I have to balance my busy training schedule + Work schedule and before I knew it.. it was dark!

I will comment that under the right sun + angle... seems like I have some scratches that run from door to door and the common light scratches on the hood. Pictures are worth a 1,000 words though thats for sure!

I may just pick up a porter cable at Lowes though as I saw a 7424 there the other day.... Just did not jump on it.

Edited by weemanSTi

I've seen pros using a harbor freight model... Just make sure it's random orbital if you're a first timer with fears. I when I got the PC, it was the offered model here at Adams. They later offered the flex 3401vrg. I got the flex and never looked back. The PC is my focus pad unit now. Focus pads are wonderful for cleaning up small defects still seen after making your passes with the larger pads. (As well as great for smaller panels).

I get the bulk of the paint corrected with the big pads (flex) and follow up (panel by panel) with the Foxus pads (PC) while using a halogen light kit. I'm about to ditch the halogens and get an LED setup on a tripod.

Edited by PaintTech

Well I went ahead and purchased the Porter Cable and should receive it by Friday... The next big purchase is the adams purchase and wanted to see if my cart looked good for fridays fun in the shade :).

Adam's Great White Microfiber Drying Towel-1 Towel
SKU: MF-GWDT-1PK   Adam's Double Soft Microfiber Towel-1 Towel
SKU: MF-DST   Adam's All Purpose Microfiber Towels (2/PK)-2 Pack
SKU: MF-MPT-2PK Adam's Quick Sealant-Single Can
SKU: QS-10-1PK   Adam's Detail Spray-16oz
SKU: DS2-16   Adam's Car Wash Shampoo-16 oz
SKU: CWS-16   Adam's All Purpose Cleaner-16 oz
SKU: APC-16   Adam's Premium 6" Machine Polisher Backing Plate-For Porter Cable
SKU: BP-7-PC   Adam's 7" Foam Polishing Pad System-PAD-7POL
SKU: PAD-7POL   Adam's 7" Machine Sealant & Waxing Pad--1PD
SKU: PAD-7GY-1PD Adam's Paint Correcting & Paint Finishing Polish Combo-POL-COMBO

If you're going to do it do it now and take advantage of the sale and free shipping.  It'll save you a lot on an order like that.

Ordered and feeling happy! Cannot wait.. I will post some pictures of the damage when I get a chance! Until then.. Need to watch those videos over and over B)

I see you have already placed your order, but I would have recommended a 2nd set of finishing & cutting pads.  One set of pads is not usually sufficient for doing an entire car, as they get dirty and clogged up with what you are polishing off the car.  They can be washed, but take a day or so to dry.