Customer Service 866.965.0400

Cyclo or Flex for C6 vette?

ellenberger

Question

Hey everyone, I'm new to the site, not to adams products. I have painted cars and crotch rockets. Wet sanded and then buffed out with napa compound and polish with just one of their foam pads on a rotary polisher (looks like a porter cable but fixed). Actually came out real nice but I like to lay on the clear thick and wasn't too worried about ruining it.

Now I have a 05 Corvette that I've sort of neglected because of time for the past year and a half. It still looks good, just has those swirls and the one fender is a little worse. I plan on getting probably a 13 ATS here soon so I'd like to protect the paint as soon as possible because it will spend most of its life outside because it will be my work car.

I don't have much time as is so I threw out the idea of a PC because of the time it sounds like it takes to get the desired results but the price would be nice. Since the flex and cyclo are about the same price, what to do? I think the flex might be a little big for some areas. Flex seems to be the older tech while the cyclo is the next big thing. I'm just not sure about the cyclo because of that too, its new and I don't like buying new things because of bugs and stuff like that.

just not sure what to do. $500 or so to get everything needed to get started is a lot so I need to be more sure on what to get. Or should I just buy some new adams pads and use our rotary one? decisions decisions...

EDIT: when I say cyclo new, I mean new for adams I guess. just getting into machine polishing so I don't know much.

Edited by ellenberger

20 answers to this question

I don't think the cyclo is new. I believe in one of the machine polishing videos Dylan said cyclo has been around a while and the company that makes them just keeps tweaking it a little to improve it

I don't have a polisher yet so can't speak to performance of any of them

I am sure some of those with more experience will speak up if I am wrong here

Edited by CTFocusST

The cyclo isn't new, just new(er) to Adam's.

I can't comment on the flex as I've never used one, but the cyclo with microfiber pads and the polish duo would probably do the trick. Plus it allows you to get into tighter areas. It also has near zero vibration.

I don't think the cyclo is new. I believe in one of the machine polishing videos Dylan said cyclo has been around a while and the company that makes them just keeps tweaking it a little to improve it

I don't have a polisher yet so can't speak to performance of any of them

I am sure some of those with more experience will speak up if I am wrong here

hmmm, maybe your right. Its new to me then haha I'm new to the machine polishing options so I was under the assumption that it was new, well at least for adams line hah 

Tough call, I own one of each, plus I've used them both on my C5 (although I see you have a C6)

As you know, Adam's only sells the Cyclo now, and it's a great machine.My personal Cyclo machine was built prior to 1959 and still runs strong. Your mileage may vary, but it's one heck of a machine.It's very smooth, easy to handle, very low vibration and does a great job. Probably want to use the microfiber pads on your C5 as the clearcoat is hard.

My experience is the Flex would be fine on the C6, probably a bit faster at correcting and getting the results you want.

Sorry, I guess it's not a clear answer, but you won't go wrong with either machine. Buy the Cyclo from Adam's and it's guaranteed for life though.

Bruce

Edited by b_pappy

You're not going to get one answer.... The answer is both. Both of them have their place and both have their ups and downs.

The Flex forces rotation and corrects fast and beautifully but vibrates a lot and can be hard to control.

The Cyclo has been around for years and has replaceable parts and can get into weird shaped places, it doesn't vibrate but it takes a little longer to correct (so I've heard).

I started with a Porter Cable and moved to a Flex but I still have both and still use both. There is no one stop polisher where you'll get everything you need.

But in all reality a PC, Rupes, Flex, Cyclo... They all work in the same concept and all do good jobs in different ways.

Edited by Kingsford

I think you will love the Cyclo. I like mine better than the Flex and the PC. I have all three. With the mf pads, you can come really close to the correcting power of the Flex. I think thats why I like the Cyclo so much. It is very smooth and easy to control and you can correct quite a good amount of damage with it. It basically bridges the gap between the PC for ease of use and the Flex for correcting ability. I was using the Flex for correction and the PC for LSP application or applying BG. Now I am basically using Cyclo for both.

Looks like I'm getting a cyclo Haha soooooo anyone at Adams, you guys having any memorial day specials that would save me some money on a new cyclo? :)

I bet they will have a sale on Memorial day, but you can be fairly certain there will be something worthwhile on July 4

Edited by Junior

How is it for spreading wax and sealants too?

It works great for that. Plus, when it's time to buff, use a double plush towel, place the heads on the towel, grab one corner and let the Cyclo buff for you too. It works great.

Bruce

If you have the budget for the machine, and don't already own a machine, I've said it before, get the Cyclo if you are only buying 1.

One size of pads is much easier than different sets for different machines.

The most aggressive combo that Adam's sells is the Paint Correcting polish and the orange MF cutting pads, it's not as aggressive as some other compound or pad combos but honestly unless you are trashed or chasing some RIDS you will get all the correcting power you need with the Orange polish and MF cutting pads.

If you need more aggressive pads than MF cutting, Surbuf pads come to mind and they are available in 4" size to fit the Cyclo.  If you need more aggressive compound, there are others out there as well.

However based on your assessment of your '05 Vette, you most likely can get to 90% correction or better using the orange/white polishes and the MF and foam pads.  I prefer to finish with foam pads and a finishing polish as opposed to MF finishing pads.

It may take you a couple of passes to get the level of correction you need but in my opinion you definitely can get all that you need out of the Cyclo, as it can get into all the places you need with a dedicated 4" machine, but has the length of a larger machine.

If I didn't already have a dedicated PC with 4" pads I'd probably buy one for myself, but to add a tool of that price I'd have to be doing two jobs in one, so I'll be getting a Flex, Rupes, or GG6 and dedicate them to 6.5 and 5.5" pad duty.

Like I said, if you only need one tool, get the Cyclo, American made for over 30 years or longer, dead reliable, and backed by Adam's, no vibration either, you can't go wrong.