Customer Service 866.965.0400

Layering

Will_Cog

Question

Hi 

So I sealed, Glazed and Butter Waxed my car. It looks amazing. Now I hear people use the phrase "Layering" coats of glaze and wax to get a more deep wet look. Should I now apply another coat of glaze and wax? I'm afraid of wax build up if I keep waxing it. Yes I am a freak and I like to wax my car weekly..it kind of puts me in my happy place.  Or should I just detail spray it every other week to avoid the build up?

12 answers to this question

My understanding at this point just maintain with waterless/detail spray, and if you get the urge to wax, go ahead and use brilliant glaze instead rather than building up the wax weekly.  Glad you are liking Adam's products as they are addicting!

You'd have to use A LOT of Buttery Wax to get build up.  If you add more wax every few weeks it probably won't build up - especially if you drive it and wash it regularly.

When you put Glaze over your Buttery you are actually taking a little Buttery off.  Feel free to add more Buttery on top of the new Glaze.  Especially on the top, hood and trunk that gets a lot of sun.

If you do ever see a little hazing you probably just need to refresh the area with a little Detail Spray. Worst case scene just wpe it down w/ Isopropal Alcohol and start over.

For the DEEPEST, WETTEST, Longest-Lasting Shine you'll probably need to up your game to Americana or Patriot.  These last longer and WILL build-up but two or three THIN coats is almost always OK.

Hi 

So I sealed, Glazed and Butter Waxed my car. It looks amazing. Now I hear people use the phrase "Layering" coats of glaze and wax to get a more deep wet look. Should I now apply another coat of glaze and wax? I'm afraid of wax build up if I keep waxing it. Yes I am a freak and I like to wax my car weekly..it kind of puts me in my happy place.  Or should I just detail spray it every other week to avoid the build up?

+1

BTW, I find the best results going in this order:

1- Clay

2- Correcting Polish

3- Finishing Polish

4- Brilliant Glaze

5- Americana Paste or Buttery Wax on garage queens. Liquid Paint Sealant on drivers.

So you are a shine-sick-freako?  So am I.  I use Brilliant Glaze more than anything else applied/ removed.  

I love how you say detailing, '....puts you in a happy place."  I just did my truck on Saturday, and got some major satisfaction!

I still say BG is the best way to go and you could every couple months apply a coat of Buttery.

This. I'm going to do glaze every other week. I have Americana on mine. Probably won't need to add another coat till July or so. Was always told to not re wax until the water doesn't bead off the car anymore. The old buttery wax did pretty good last summer for me.

This. I'm going to do glaze every other week. I have Americana on mine. Probably won't need to add another coat till July or so. Was always told to not re wax until the water doesn't bead off the car anymore. The old buttery wax did pretty good last summer for me.

Sounds like a good plan!

+1

BTW, I find the best results going in this order:

1- Clay

2- Correcting Polish

3- Finishing Polish

4- Brilliant Glaze

5- Americana Paste or Buttery Wax on garage queens. Liquid Paint Sealant on drivers.

So you are a shine-sick-freako?  So am I.  I use Brilliant Glaze more than anything else applied/ removed.  

I love how you say detailing, '....puts you in a happy place."  I just did my truck on Saturday, and got some major satisfaction!

So, glaze before seal on my DD? I am getting ready to tackle my Black F150 for the first time and just want to make sure I have the correct steps. Im still a noob! :) 

Liquid Paint Sealant you could probably get 2 coats on there and have it last at least 4-6 months, if not more depending on environment and conditions.  If you want to "top it", I would use Buttery or Americana for more depth.

I agree with the guy above about Buttery, you'd have to be waxing weekly for it to build up.

Either way, whatever you apply, multiple thin coats is always going to be better than one thick heavy coat when it comes to waxes/sealants

In that same vein, when should I reapply Liquid Sealant? And do I need to strip it all the way back down to bare clear coat or is it ok to wait for wax to wear off and just reapply sealant?

Although Liquid Sealant will work best and last longer on bare paint it will be fine to add it to what you have.

If you see some clouding you'll need to strip and start over.