Customer Service 866.965.0400

Slight decline in quality?

ramflava

Question

Just curious if this is a new norm, a fluke, or a drop in quality by suppliers.

I haven't been a customer for too long. I learned about and starting purchasing Adam's Polishes product in March of 2013. Since then I've noticed slight changes to a few products.

Example:

-  Gallon refills used to have a red plastic plug when the cap was removed.

Now there is not plug and the seal is broken for good once the gallon is opened.

-  Square foam applicator pads always appeared perfectly cut and all pads were exactly the same size.

Today I received new foam pads that appeared to be cut by hand (or a 10 year old) and all three       pads were cut to slightly different sizes.

-   The older clay bars used to come in a loaf type of bundle, which was nice for pulling off different sized pieces.

Since to production of the new American clay bars, they are now in two smaller bars.

None of this stuff is terrible or a deal breaker. I've just noticed a slightly (in my opinion and lack of better term) lazier output of packaging. Coupled with the recent changes of discontinued products and shipping location, I became curious if this is just a cost cutting, profit increasing move.

I still love and support Adam's products, I just wanted to point out some things I've noticed.

Can't answer it all, but this should answer the seal question.  It is just change.

http://www.adamsforums.com/topic/25143-gallon-seals/?hl=%2Bfoil+%2Bseals

If I remember correctly when Adams come out with their own clay bar after the patent ran out, they chose to do the two smaller bars as opposed to one big bar.  Could be wrong on that one.  But I thought I had read that somewhere, but couldn't find a link to post.

I haven't purchased the foam blocks in quite some time , so I really can't say. But as far as the gallons and clay bars , you may not like these changes or may have preferred the previous ways better, but there really is no drop in quality of these products. At least not IMO.

I miss the old gallon plugs. The aluminum seals are a bigger pain that the plugs IMO. The clay bars... I just don't like them. They stick to everything and fall apart much easier than they used to. Luckily I bought a bunch of the old version from a reseller when they were on clearance.

They changed the gallon seals because when they were shipping from Colorado, the bottles would "suck in" as they traveled back down to sea level.  The new seal is "breathable" and lets you know that it hasn't been tampered with.

The clay is now 2 pieces so that it stays fresh longer.

The pads seem like a quality issue.  You should call them and get replacements.

SYMAWD, good explanations. Like I said, I'm still a 100% supporter of Adam's, I just wanted to point out a few things I've noticed and hopefully these are the only issues I have.

As for replacing the foam pads, I'm not displeased with them, just found it strange.

Maybe I was spoiled or just accustomed to the other way things were made, or kept. Hopefully it isn't the beginning of a slow spiral in which a once honorable product line sees success and is turned into just a money hungry company.

good to know. To add to my list, although I really want to support  the clay bar because of it's "Made in USA" label, it is way too sticky and hard to work with. I usually don't mind claying. This time was frustrating trying to remove clay from my fingers!

good to know. To add to my list, although I really want to support  the clay bar because of it's "Made in USA" label, it is way too sticky and hard to work with. I usually don't mind claying. This time was frustrating trying to remove clay from my fingers!

I agree that the clay shouldn't be doing that. I have no idea why other than it's too warm between outside temp, car temp, and body heat maybe. But even with those factors it shouldn't be sticking that bad. 

I've been watching this thread and hoping that one of the higher ups will jump in and answer some of your questions.

I agree that the clay shouldn't be doing that. I have no idea why other than it's too warm between outside temp, car temp, and body heat maybe. But even with those factors it shouldn't be sticking that bad. 

I've been watching this thread and hoping that one of the higher ups will jump in and answer some of your questions.

I've kind of been waiting for responses too.

As for the clay bar.. Are you using the detail spray with them or using something else?  

Reason why I ask is ..I gave one of my halfs to a friend to use on his wife's car and he said it was so sticky and started to clump apart. He did mention he used other stuff as lube.   ..Maybe a chemical reaction to the clay bar using whatever he used?? 

The foam blocks sometimes come staggered as I put it but I don't mind  They serve the same purpose and sometimes I cut them in half to use in small areas. 

Noticed my gallons are no longer deformed when they arrive ..now I know the reason  ;)

I use Adams DS. From using the old formula and the new one, I can tell you I really prefer the old formula. I hate to say it, but clay bars might be the first product from Adam's Polishes that I quit buying.

Stay tuned gang.  I think the reason  you aren't getting answers is because the Adam's crew is split between two big shows this week and weekend.  Hot August Nights in Reno and Truck Nationals in Carlisle.  Once these shows are over and they have a chance to catch up, I'm sure they'll get right on this.  

Be patient.  :hi:

Well, cutting costs and increasing profits are unfortunately not goals we achieve!   In fact, every time we improve something, it's more expensive!   Getting orders into our customers' hands quickly is our biggest priority, currently.  That priority will be expensive as well.

Ask anyone who works at Adam's, we are not a mega-profitable business, and we unfortunately never cut costs!  "Money hungry?"   This business isn't one for a person who is money hungry.  There are plenty of ways to be much more profitable, and if you suddenly saw us importing low-end product from China, then you would know, we are changing our tune.   That won't happen.

Even Meguiar's, before selling to 3M back in 2008-9, was in a tough financial situation.  Marketing Car Care Products is for enthusiasts, not greedy entrepreneurs. I'm a shine freak, and this is my passion.

The red cap plugs are to keep the gallons from spilling, and we use them with certain products especially when shipping over elevation, or shipping via air.  Some products can suck-in, or 'panel' during shipping.  Thats when we use the vented seals, so the bottles don't pop.

As for the block sponges, that's the first I've heard. A machine cuts those, and I've never once seen one out of normal.  There's always a first time, however!  Anyone else seen out of shape block sponges?

As for the American Clay, it's much different than the Japanese clay.  I prefer the two smaller bars, absolutely.  Much easier to use.  If I hear from the masses to go back to a big chunk, we'll go back!  

Certainly, I don't want anyone to feel we are cutting corners, or costs.  Ask anyone in our company, that's not how we roll.

Thanks for keeping me on my toes, and thanks for your business!

-Adam

• Adam, can you address the sticking clay issue? 

Sorry, thanks, and yes!  The USA clay is certainly better in the moderate and cooler temps than it is in the summer.  We are working now with the manufacturer, and should have a 'year-round bar' by the next year, hopefully before temps spike north of 80 degrees.

I have been using a process when claying, if I can do it in the shade, or with clean water:  Instead of drying the vehicle, mist it down with diluted Rinseless Wash, Waterless Wash, or Detail Spray.  Then, I clay the entire vehicle before drying.

That keeps the bar much cooler, and makes claying quicker, while using less chemical as a lubricant.

My $0.02.

I remember YEARS ago when clay was pretty new on the market and was still decent stuff that it was VERY soft and would basically melt in my hands.  I solved the problem of it getting on my hands by claying with latex gloves on and using plenty of DS.  This was around 17 years ago.    

Every single piece of clay that I have received has been extremely sticky and will "lint" on the paint no matter how much or how little DS, diluted Rinseless or WW was used.  I do nearly all of my work when it's over 60 degrees out.  Needless to say this summer has been frustrating to say the least any time I used Adams clay.  I've since gone elsewhere.

We thank you for the input Adam! 

Clay is tricky people.  Found out why my friend had an issue. He was using off the shelf car soap as lube.  There can be a chemical reaction with the clay and the reaction might make it break down. Also some other products have ingredients in them that will help destroy the clay bar before you have a chance to do one panel.  So beware of some of the products out there. Not all detail spray and car soap is made for clay bars. 

They changed the gallon seals because when they were shipping from Colorado, the bottles would "suck in" as they traveled back down to sea level.  The new seal is "breathable" and lets you know that it hasn't been tampered with.

The clay is now 2 pieces so that it stays fresh longer.

The pads seem like a quality issue.  You should call them and get replacements.

Now that changed shipping locations.Can revert to the old way of sealing the gallon jugs?