Customer Service 866.965.0400

Best pre-trip / bug treatment products?

OmniCamaro

Question

What is/are the best method and/or products to use for a pre-trip bug treatment?

There's no getting away from the bugs where I'm at and where I'm going (lakeside). I just would love to make removing them as easy as possible. I never let them sit more than a day after my destination but anything to make it easier!

I'm covered well on Adam's products so what do you say? Btw, I keep my car well protected day to day.

19 answers to this question

Before each trip I give my car a good wash and then treat all surfaces of my car that typically see bug splatter with whatever sealant I'm using at the time. If you have Adam's products, their Quick Sealant would be your quickest and easiest choice. In less than 5 minutes you could have the whole front of your car, windshield and side mirrors sealed. If you have a windshield sealant you can of course use that for your windshield.

I agree.  Quick sealant is very slick and easy/fast to use.  Also make sure you have a good layer of protection/LSP on your vehicle before the trip.  You can also look into taping off all of your leading edges before the trip.  Remove the tape when you arrive and re-apply for the return trip home.  I have done this down here in love bug season and, although a pain in the butt, works the best at keeping the bug/bug guts/bug gut acid off of your paint finish. (people may even look at it a little weird---seeing a green taped up vehicle going down the highway! LOL)

Let us know!

Edited by Sizzle Chest

After testing different sealants here in Florida I have found that quick sealant works best as a bug gut repellant. The bugs seem to wash off easiest with quick sealant. Tend to stick a bit more with buttery, Americana or the old super machine Sealant/wax. Have not tested the new paint sealant for bug gut repellant.

I will typically use the super machine sealant/wax on the entire car (since it has a longer durability here in the Florida sun) and then add a layer of the quick sealant as a top coat on the nose and side mirrors for bug purposes.

Edited by DaveVY

If you will be going on your trip, vehicle is parked and sees some sun exposure daily, and won't be washed until you return a week later, and you know you will get hammered with bugs, I'd just use $5 worth of painters tape and tape the front end up.

If you have a good LSP on the surface prior to the trip it will help but I wouldn't want my splattered front end to bake those bug guts on for a week.

Tarminator works great on loosening up dried bugs for when you return home as well, you'll need to reapply your LSP after using it though, but it sure makes removal a breeze.

If you will be going on your trip, vehicle is parked and sees some sun exposure daily, and won't be washed until you return a week later, and you know you will get hammered with bugs, I'd just use $5 worth of painters tape and tape the front end up.

If you have a good LSP on the surface prior to the trip it will help but I wouldn't want my splattered front end to bake those bug guts on for a week.

Tarminator works great on loosening up dried bugs for when you return home as well, you'll need to reapply your LSP after using it though, but it sure makes removal a breeze.

No need to polish out this scratch I just got, I'll just cover it with painters tape!

A bra is the obvious answer here. Next would be painter's tape.  

But barring those somewhat expensive choices..........I have to agree with Nick.  Using Adam's QS or LPS is your best option. Either will work great to make removing the bugs an easier job. 

It won't effect anything if you put quick sealant over top of the Americana wax? Also if I didn't have the spay can would the reg quick sealant work?

No.  The sealant on top of the wax will not last as long as if it was applied directly to the paint, but it works great for adding the extra layer of bug protection and aiding in their removal.

A bra is the obvious answer here. Next would be painter's tape.  

But barring those somewhat expensive choices..........I have to agree with Nick.  Using Adam's QS or LPS is your best option. Either will work great to make removing the bugs an easier job. 

A bra works for the front end, but not the mirrors or the area at the top of the windshield (depending on the vehicle).

Here is what we do for our clients and has been recommended on the forums for years by other pro detailers.

1st layer is either Quick Sealant or Paint Sealant (Or Machine Super Sealant if you still have any). This is you base coat. Then add a layer of Buttery Wax or Americana. Then spray Quick Sealant on the leading edges of your car.

Here is the reason why. You first layer of sealant will bond to the finish of your car and be your primary means of protecting your paint. The second layer of wax applied to the first layer of sealant will give you more shine and depth and act as a second layer of protection. Now here is the fun part. The top layer of Quick Sealant will not bond properly to the wax, and this is what we want. As you take hits by bugs and debris on your trip they will hit that top layer of QS. When you wash your car at your destination the bugs should come off easily along with the top layer of QS. It is a sacrificial barrier. Once clean, respray with QS for your trip home.

Also make sure you are applying Glass Sealant. This will help with cleaning your windshield.

Hope this helps.

Here is what we do for our clients and has been recommended on the forums for years by other pro detailers.

1st layer is either Quick Sealant or Paint Sealant (Or Machine Super Sealant if you still have any). This is you base coat. Then add a layer of Buttery Wax or Americana. Then spray Quick Sealant on the leading edges of your car.

Here is the reason why. You first layer of sealant will bond to the finish of your car and be your primary means of protecting your paint. The second layer of wax applied to the first layer of sealant will give you more shine and depth and act as a second layer of protection. Now here is the fun part. The top layer of Quick Sealant will not bond properly to the wax, and this is what we want. As you take hits by bugs and debris on your trip they will hit that top layer of QS. When you wash your car at your destination the bugs should come off easily along with the top layer of QS. It is a sacrificial barrier. Once clean, respray with QS for your trip home.

Also make sure you are applying Glass Sealant. This will help with cleaning your windshield.

Hope this helps.

Nice tip. Thanks.

Update*

I sprayed Quick Sealant on the leading edges, waited a few minutes and wiped with a super soft towel. Like I stated earlier, I keep my paint well cleaned and waxed and normally bugs are bugs, not ridiculously hard to get off but still takes some elbow grease.

The bugs are noticeably easier to remove after the QS application. Quick and easy pre-trip step for the future.