Customer Service 866.965.0400

Americana or Buttery over sealant to keep black daily driver clean?

gbod

Question

I spent this weekend applying LPS to my daily drivers to prepare for the winter season.  I love how LPS keeps my cars looking so clean, but the black BMW doesn't have that deep wet look that wax gives it.  I am trying to decide whether or not I want to top the sealant with wax.  As black car owners know, black cars own you.  I want to do whatever to takes to keep it as easy to keep clean as possible over the winter.  I know topping it with Buttery or Americana will make it look much better, but I dread the thought of spending more time trying to keep it looking clean.  With carnaubas more likely to attract dust/dirt vs sealant I'd like to know others opinions of keeping a black daily driver clean with LPS alone vs LPS topped with Buttery or Americana. Would Buttery or Americana be better at staying clean? Should I just forgo the wax if my goal is keeping it looking clean?

Also, a somewhat related question: What about wax in the summertime?   I know carnaubas can "melt" on hot cars during the summer, but what actually happens?  Does it start looking bad, or does it just sublimate off?  Does the "melted" wax become a dirt magnet?  Should I bother using wax on a black daily driver during the summer?  I've read Buttery can be applied to hot surfaces, so does that mean it is more resilient to summertime heat?

Thanks in advance for your responses!

(And yes, I have already read the FAQ's in this forum, but I am specifically interested on ease of keeping my black car looking clean)

15 answers to this question

I own 2 black vehicles.  After using paint sealant, I apply a layer of brilliant glaze and top it off with Americana.  I'm very satisfied with the way they look.  In the heavy pollen times of the year a skip the Americana and use quick sealant to prevent the "magnet" effect.  

So the main question of "will a wax make my car look more deep/wet/glossy?" is an easy one - YES! The addition of wax is going to give you car some added dimension to the shine that you wouldn't otherwise see. Is it a dramatic "HOLY COW" night and day difference - depends on your eye for it, but there is a difference.

Now about the wax in the heat, it doesn't really melt - moreso it begins to evaporate. The coating of wax is so thin on the surface that there isn't a noticeable melt effect, just the wax fails prematurely so in the summer months you'll find yourself applying more frequently to maintain the look.

This is why sealants are so much more ideal in hotter climates. Higher evaporation points mean they hold up regardless.

Waxes seem to collect a ton of pollen and dust compared to sealants.

I guess this was my primary concern.

I know it will look more deep/wet/glossy with wax, but if it looks dirty all the time, what's the point. I think I will try testing a panel with Buttery, Americana and just Sealant and see what it looks like in a week. 

Edited by gbod

I guess this was my primary concern.

I know it will look more deep/wet/glossy with wax, but if it looks dirty all the time, what's the point. I think I will try testing a panel with Buttery, Americana and just Sealant and see what it looks like in a week. 

I sort of did an experiment at the beginning of summer. Not a panel per panel, but with sealant on I drove for a week. Minimal dust day to day.

As soon as I stacked some Americana on the car I walked out of my house before leaving for work the next day. The car was covered in pollen.

Edited by TheBurninator

If you're topping with a wax I would only use Americana because it lasts longer. Buttery you'd be topping every 6-8 weeks at most because of the life on the finish.

The slickness and non-stick effect of Liquid and aerosol sealants is what keeps me using them as an LSP. As Adam has said a bunch you could always do a quick coat of BG every few weeks as a topper on black, for that "wet look". It will decrease sealant life though in my experience because of the solvent content.

Sealant is your protection and is what is going to make your car stay clean longer. 

Wax doesn't protect much. It melts away pretty quickly in high heat areas on the car (Hood, Front Fenders, near the exhaust) and even quicker in the hotter months.

Wax is more for looks and that extra deep shine.

Americana will get you an amazing shine with great depth. Trust me I have a Black Chevy Colorado thats a Daily Driver.

You can ask anyone out there that knows me. I'm a Paste Wax Freak and I even have a collection of Paste Wax Containers. Americana is probably my #2 Favorite. Patriot Wax is my #1 but thats pretty hard to find these days. Thats why I stashed mine away.

I think I boo-booed.  During the warm weather a couple of weeks ago I put Liquid Paint Sealant over Buttery Wax.  One week I did a coat of Buttery Wax and the next weekend I put on a coat of LPS.  In the past I always put the LPS first, but this time I guess I had a brain fart and did the reverse.  Does it really matter?  It is too cold now to do anything about it but it looks just as nice.