Customer Service 866.965.0400

Ice crystals: the water beads more interesting cousin

Team Adam's

Question

My daily driver, which is parked outside 24/7/365 has been serving as a test bed for a number of coatings, both prototypes and competitors for awhile now. With temps down in the low 20's this morning I had to snap some cool pics of the overnight frost and how its behaving. You can definitely see clear indications of the various products and how they allow ice crystals to form.

dBjXvi3.jpg?1

1CKejyM.jpg?1

zlvMXwf.jpg?1

fePydYN.jpg

24 answers to this question

I would love to know what and how your did the drivers side of the hood. 

BTW - the drivers side hood portion is the most recent, and closest to complete, version... note the difference in the crystals. I didn't get video but as soon as the car began moving that section blew off like snowflakes while most of the other sections stuck around until melted. ;)

More testing - this morning came out to a pretty nice buildup of ice beads on the Honda. It rained pretty good just after sunset last night and then the temps dropped. Shot this to show the difference between how ice sticks to the paint on the coated surface vs. the non-coated surfaces. Before anyone says anything about swirls or scratches - this thing is being abused on purpose, not trying to baby it. Its being subjected to regular tunnel washes and 'not-so-nice' wipe downs to see the level of marring in the coating surface as compared to raw paint. I would never rub ice/dirt into a paintjob I was trying to take care of - this is the kind of abuse I subject my personal cars to in the name of testing so you don't have to.

As you can see though, the ice beads just wipe off the surface where its been coated. Cool stuff! (pun intended) :dvk:

Edited by The Shine Doc

That's awesome! I can't wait for the release of the coating.

Dylan, I have a question. I haven't noticed but does glass sealant have the same type of effect with ice beads on the windshield? Or do you have some type of plans to improve the current glass sealant to do the same? That would be absolutely fantastic if a glass sealant had the same effect, no need for an ice scraper or waiting for the defrost to melt the ice.

That's awesome! I can't wait for the release of the coating.

Dylan, I have a question. I haven't noticed but does glass sealant have the same type of effect with ice beads on the windshield? Or do you have some type of plans to improve the current glass sealant to do the same? That would be absolutely fantastic if a glass sealant had the same effect, no need for an ice scraper or waiting for the defrost to melt the ice.

Totally different family of chemicals. Glass sealants active ingredient is PDMS (polydimethylsiloxane) and the primary active ingredient in coatings is polysilazane. There are some potential implications for the coating in the glass category though.

I keep glass sealant on my windshield and while it doesn't have this exact type of effect its substantially easier to remove ice than non-sealed glass.

that poor car

Don't judge the honda... it can't help that its a lowly commuter reduced to testing duties.

Cool pics and makes me glad for my garage!!

And Dylan.........I never thought I'd see the day when I'd witness you rubbing your hand across paint just to show something.  :blink::confused:

I put my cars thru this abuse so you don't have to ;)

Totally different family of chemicals. Glass sealants active ingredient is PDMS (polydimethylsiloxane) and the primary active ingredient in coatings is polysilazane. There are some potential implications for the coating in the glass category though.

I keep glass sealant on my windshield and while it doesn't have this exact type of effect its substantially easier to remove ice than non-sealed glass.

Ahhhh ok, wasn't sure if it was possible or not. That would be pretty neat to see a glass sealant have the same effect as the coating you have created though. I'll have to seal my glass this week again and pay more attention to the difference with and without it.

Ahhhh ok, wasn't sure if it was possible or not. That would be pretty neat to see a glass sealant have the same effect as the coating you have created though. I'll have to seal my glass this week again and pay more attention to the difference with and without it.

mask off a small square somewhere on your glass after you clay it, then apply the sealant everywhere but within that square. Its fun to see how much of a difference these treatments make and until you see treated vs. untreated side by side it really is hard to appreciate it.

mask off a small square somewhere on your glass after you clay it, then apply the sealant everywhere but within that square. Its fun to see how much of a difference these treatments make and until you see treated vs. untreated side by side it really is hard to appreciate it.

Will do! I'm anxious to see the difference between the two. Thanks!!

More testing - this morning came out to a pretty nice buildup of ice beads on the Honda. It rained pretty good just after sunset last night and then the temps dropped. Shot this to show the difference between how ice sticks to the paint on the coated surface vs. the non-coated surfaces. Before anyone says anything about swirls or scratches - this thing is being abused on purpose, not trying to baby it. Its being subjected to regular tunnel washes and 'not-so-nice' wipe downs to see the level of marring in the coating surface as compared to raw paint. I would never rub ice/dirt into a paintjob I was trying to take care of - this is the kind of abuse I subject my personal cars to in the name of testing so you don't have to.

As you can see though, the ice beads just wipe off the surface where its been coated. Cool stuff! (pun intended) :dvk:

That looks awesome. Perfect for the DD.

:dvk:  heisenberg himself mixing up chemicals for the new coating

:lolsmack: :lolsmack: :lolsmack: