Customer Service 866.965.0400

So I'm starting a new career with General Motors later this month

cammyfive

I had a career in the car business (sales and finance) from 2002-2013 and then left it to take a job in marketing of a high end custom clothing business.  Well, as it turns out, I'll be starting a new career (again) in the car business as the social and digital media director for Hendrick Auto Group in Durham, NC.  It's a brand new auto mall and I'll be based, initially, on the GM side (Chevrolet, GMC, Buick, Cadillac) so I'm spending a lot of time learning the ins and outs of GM history.  My late father was a UAW engineer with Chrysler for 36 years so it seems that the domestic car business runs in our veins!  

The detailing twist of it, I'll get GM employee pricing and a $300 car allowance on a new GM vehicle.  While I'm tempted to go crazy and get a new Corvette I think the more prudent move will be to sell my Camry I just bought 3 months ago, put that money back in the bank, and get something very nice but sensible - Impala LTZ (very impressed with the new current gen), Regal GS, or maybe an ATS.  So, how is the paint/clearcoat on those choices? ;)

Congratulations on the new position, and I like your sensible approach to a new vehicle. Paint and clearcoat on any of the 3 models you have listed should be similar in both quality, durability, and clearcoat hardness.

I have been in the domestic auto business, in various capacities, for various sized companies for my whole career, and if you can manage the cyclical nature of the business, everyday offers a new, unique opportunity to you.

Good luck, and keep the forum updated with your career move and vehicle progress!

It's actually smaller than my Camry but a noticeable bit and the rear seat is well......more for looks than anything else.  Yeah, I'm also interested in the SS especially since you can now get it in a manual transmission!

Congrats! I'm from Cary so not far from you, I'm actually neighbors with one of the VP's of Hendrick Automotive. Anyway on to the car, what about the CTS? If you're coming from a Camry and considering an Impala, wouldn't the CTS be more of the size you're looking for as opposed to the ATS? Or is size not a concern? 

Edited by lax

Hi from NC - but I am from the Charlotte region.... Agree with Lax - check out the CTS -  the wife and I started looking at the CTS, but ended up switching to the SRX in Platinum Ice Tricoat that we actually pick up tomorrow. Can't help you with the paint yet, as I haven't had a chance yet to detail ours yet,.,,,but this weekend is supposed to be nice !!

Congrats on the new job.  The cars you listed are all nice.  The new Impala LTZ's are great. GM got this one right.  The new Regal's are nice as is the SS.  The rumor is that the SS will be getting magnetic ride suspension.  The CTS is always nice as well.   

Congrats on the new gig!  That's awesome.  I had an uncle that worked for Ford in Ohio for 49 years, yes, 49 years, and I've always wanted to work in the automotive industry in some way too.

Now it's time to talk up my '14 Regal GS AWD hahaha...prepare for one big sales pitch because I simply love this car  :D  It's an outstanding platform. While it's heavier than the ATS, it still has incredible grip with the adjustable electronic suspension and the 20" wheels and the 14" Brembos will almost make your eyes pop out.  It just felt like it had a little more room inside to me than the ATS (they were my two vehicle choices when shopping). The GS also has a much, much bigger trunk than the ATS, more rear legroom, and I prefer the configurable 8" digital gauge cluster and center stack over the Caddy too. I even think the seats are better in the Opel/Buick - both front seats are 8 way power adjustable, with nice side bolsters, and a 4-way power adjustable lumbar support - up/down/in/out. The Caddy looks gorgeous, but I think the GS is one of the best looking sedans out there right now too with it's somewhat subtle and somewhat over-the-top styling (the giant fang intercooler inlets up front).

GS mode is silly fun on smooth roads.  It 'ups' the shock valving to a very firm setting, even more from the Sport mode, which is more aggressive than the normal touring mode, i.e. body roll is nearly non-existant, nothing at all like your old grandpas floaty landbarge Buicks of the past.  It also adds more resistance to the electric steering giving it a much heavier, precise feeling, and modifies the shift points and fuel mapping.  While it's not incredibly quick in stock form, the 295ft-lbs from the little 2.0 does get it moving...but once I put the Trifecta tune on it, it's a different animal...277hp and 313ft-lbs at all four wheels on the dyno!  It builds max boost almost instantly, and I've spun all four tires for a few feet launching it, lol.  The adaptive cruise with radar and automatic braking, collision detection, lane departure, heated steering wheel, sunroof, and a bunch of other options just made it the better, more affordable choice for me over the ATS.

The White Diamond Tricoat on mine is $1,000 extra, just like on the Caddy's, but it is a stunning color in person. The amount of pearl in the paint is crazy. It has been very easy to maintain, and has very minimal swirls so far during this harsh winter. The clear does seem to be fairly hard like Captain Slow says, but it didn't take much to correct it at all when I bought it - I only needed the orange pads and Paint Correcting Polish in a few spots, the majority of the car came out perfect with PFP and a white foam pad. Most of these pics are from the summer though  :P

IMG_6952_zpscy3gr3sc.jpg

20140829_145038_zps8c37227e.jpg

IMG_7172_zps85c275f2.jpg

20140901_224817_zpsa08d8840.jpg

I told you it wasn't your grandpas buick...lol

20140914_201340_zpsea9ee910.jpg

And it's very capable in the snow with all wheel drive and an aggressive all season tire, but you probably won't have to worry about that.  There's a fwd model with a 6speed manual too.

20150130_102334_zpsmyyt4ehe.jpg

Edit: My only gripe is that the side mirrors are pretty small, but they have nice blind-zone light up indicators to overcome that.  If you can overcome the old stigma that Buick = retired people, it's a great all around car.  I'm 32 by the way...trying to change that stigma, heh.

Edited by psu goat

@cammyfive: Congratulations on the new job!

@psu goat: I'm really liking that Buick of yours, very nice car. In my opinion it doesn't look like an old stigma or a retired person's car. It has a very subtle sporty look to it. If I ever get tired of my ST, I might have to consider this car when looking for a new one in the future.

Congrats, I'm a hardcore GM guy!  Unfortunately, they don't offer the gm employee discount on the SS since its a limited car but I still think its an awesome deal for the money.  I also love the V Cadis and the new impala and Malibu are pretty slick looking, a nice turn around from the previous body styles.  GM is pumping out some really nice cars.

Congrats on the new job.  The cars you listed are all nice.  The new Impala LTZ's are great. GM got this one right.  The new Regal's are nice as is the SS.  The rumor is that the SS will be getting magnetic ride suspension.  The CTS is always nice as well.   

Guz, I looked at (what the salesman called it) the first 2015 SS in Deleware last night. Its got the magnetic ride suspension, 6 speed manual, and the color was "Perfect Blue Metallic" and it was truly perfect.  An amazing looking car.  Makes me wish I wasn't poor haha

Thanks Paul.  The dead-on view of the back looks even better.  I'm actually not crazy about that picture I took, because at that angle it makes the back of the car look bigger than it actually is.

I guess I do have one other gripe about it...it would have been an even better car if they brought it over with the same twin turbo V6 that is offered in the Opel Insignia OPC awd.  The GS is basically the same exact car as the OPC except they put the 2.0T Ecotec in it for the U.S. market, changed the wheels slightly to a fully chrome 20", and of course the badging :)

I'm probably going to do the Opel OPC conversion to mine soon...front grill, centercaps, door sill plates, trunk emblems, and the gunmetal/polished 20" wheels, then I'll just use these 20's as the winter setup.  The airbag and startup screens on the cluster and center stack are probably staying Buick though...the airbag assembly is just too expensive to justify it.

Welcome Ed.  Of course, I'm going to say go with a Vette or a CTS!  Loving both of  my cars.  ATS is okay.  If you have a family, I'd go with something a little bigger like the XTS or the CTS Sedan.  Honestly, I would have bought a new Impala instead of the Cadillac but I was trading in an Impala SS and didn't want to buy the same car. But the Impala is a great car, very solid. Good luck with your choice.

Can I borrow your employee discount? :D :D

:welcomebanner: :welcomebanner:

Congrats on the new gig! The GS is a great car. When I picked up my 2013 the horsepower per dollar couldn't be beat. I have a tune from WOT-tuning and it helps wake the car up.post-12512-0-90513100-1425866574_thumb.jpg

Edited by KSRegalGS