Customer Service 866.965.0400

Adam's great white drying towels

JohnnyDev

Question

I'm going to pull the trigger on purchasing a couple great white drying towels, but was wondering, do you guys use quick detailer to prime the towels when using them? Do you spray the towels themselves, or spray directly onto the paint? I would love to buy a metro master blaster, but i'd have a hard time convincing my wife that I spent $350-$400 on a blower to dry our vehicles off LOL

I do think i'm going to buy the metro sidekick though.

25 answers to this question

Def get the sidekick.

I spray the entire car down with Detail Spray as soon as I bring it into the garage after a 2B wash.  I then dry it with a fresh Great White.

After most of the car is dried I go back with the SideKick and blow out all the crevices to get the hidden drips out.  I usually use a blue waterless wash towel along with the SideKick here.

It usually need another complete Detail Spray wipedown and buff before I'm completely finished but the whole process works fantastic.

Def get the sidekick.

I spray the entire car down with Detail Spray as soon as I bring it into the garage after a 2B wash.  I then dry it with a fresh Great White.

After most of the car is dried I go back with the SideKick and blow out all the crevices to get the hidden drips out.  I usually use a blue waterless wash towel along with the SideKick here.

It usually need another complete Detail Spray wipedown and buff before I'm completely finished but the whole process works fantastic.

Great suggestions, and ones I'll use. Only difference is I have to dry my truck outside because it doesn't fit in my garage.

Spray onto the vehicle, really no need to spray it onto the towel.

My personal preference, at least at the moment, is our Jumbo Plush for drying - its on sale during the 48 hour stock up deal we have going right now too. Worth a look - the more I use this towel the more I love it.

http://adamspolishes.com/shop/marchsavings/marchflashsale/adam-s-giant-soft-microfiber-towel.html

thats-a-big-towel.jpg

And I always mist the entire car down real good with DS after I rinse. I then use the large plush MF towel and a great white to go around the car several times drying. Start with the windows with the great white and work down as I circle the car. I use the great white for the lower parts of the car. And save the plush for the 'cleaner' panels.

Is the sidekick or master blaster THAT much better than my electric toro leaf blower?

I'd say the air moved by the electric blower is probably comparable to the Sidekick, the Master Blaster is like the air movers at the end of an auto wash, not really comparable.  But if you have a little electric blower its a good start and should work fine, prob great at moving water out of an engine.

The sidekick has  a TON of power for the size though, even I was surprised when I used it

Edited by Ricky Bobby

i too was under the same thought of the blower does what I need it to do, I don't need anything else.  I bought the sidekick, man, it is that much better.  the air is more precise and it is much easier to handle than a leaf blower.

I don't have the master blaster so I can't compare but the sidekick is great

Is the sidekick or master blaster THAT much better than my electric toro leaf blower?

In the same way that a BMW M5 is better than a regular 5 series. Both great, both modes of transportation that are better than riding the bus, but there is a premium to performance benefits.

The master blaster compared to a leaf blower is a no contest. A leaf blower will certainly move air, but its relatively unfocused, plus you have a large unwieldy stiff tube to contend with around your car. The MB matches (or exceeds) the airflow rate of most common electric leaf blowers, but on top of that its filtering the air it forces out so theres no recaptured debris being shot at your paint and it warms it up to 60* above ambient, which is really nice on cold mornings. The hose makes it easy to maneuver around a car and its very focused air - unlike the lower which is more fanned out/broom style.

Now... comparing the sidekick to a leaf blower... you could theoretically use a leaf blower to dry your whole car, the sidekick isn't going to do that. The concentration of the air stream doesn't make it conducive to that kind of use, but its also a fraction of the size - still filters the air and makes it perfect for working up close and tight around your car to blow water out of cracks.

In the same way that a BMW M5 is better than a regular 5 series. Both great, both modes of transportation that are better than riding the bus, but there is a premium to performance benefits.

The master blaster compared to a leaf blower is a no contest. A leaf blower will certainly move air, but its relatively unfocused, plus you have a large unwieldy stiff tube to contend with around your car. The MB matches (or exceeds) the airflow rate of most common electric leaf blowers, but on top of that its filtering the air it forces out so theres no recaptured debris being shot at your paint and it warms it up to 60* above ambient, which is really nice on cold mornings. The hose makes it easy to maneuver around a car and its very focused air - unlike the lower which is more fanned out/broom style.

Now... comparing the sidekick to a leaf blower... you could theoretically use a leaf blower to dry your whole car, the sidekick isn't going to do that. The concentration of the air stream doesn't make it conducive to that kind of use, but its also a fraction of the size - still filters the air and makes it perfect for working up close and tight around your car to blow water out of cracks.

i too was under the same thought of the blower does what I need it to do, I don't need anything else.  I bought the sidekick, man, it is that much better.  the air is more precise and it is much easier to handle than a leaf blower.

I don't have the master blaster so I can't compare but the sidekick is great

^ Agreed

Yes.  It IS that much better.

I'd say the air moved by the electric blower is probably comparable to the Sidekick, the Master Blaster is like the air movers at the end of an auto wash, not really comparable.  But if you have a little electric blower its a good start and should work fine, prob great at moving water out of an engine.

The sidekick has  a TON of power for the size though, even I was surprised when I used it

Yes, the Master Blaster blows warm filtered air.....you can't compare the two.

Thanks guys!  Appreciate the insight.  So it seems if I want to dry the whole car with a blower (vs a towel) I should go with a Master Blaster...?  

Whereas the Sidekick would be used in addition to drying normally with a towel...correct?

So if I want to keep my current method... rinse car, mist entire car with DS to ensure no water spots if/when it dries before I get to it.  Then go around with my towels several times until its dried and streak free.  (I used a good amount of DS to stave off drying/water spots...which requires several passes)  AND then after towel drying I go over with the blower to get the water out of the crevices.  Then I go around with DS and double soft and do spot detailing where the water came out of the crevices from the blower.

Thanks guys!  Appreciate the insight.  So it seems if I want to dry the whole car with a blower (vs a towel) I should go with a Master Blaster...?  

Whereas the Sidekick would be used in addition to drying normally with a towel...correct?

So if I want to keep my current method... rinse car, mist entire car with DS to ensure no water spots if/when it dries before I get to it.  Then go around with my towels several times until its dried and streak free.  (I used a good amount of DS to stave off drying/water spots...which requires several passes)  AND then after towel drying I go over with the blower to get the water out of the crevices.  Then I go around with DS and double soft and do spot detailing where the water came out of the crevices from the blower.

Can't argue with any of that.

Phil to remark your regimen above since you are leaning towards the Sidekick and imo it's the best bang for the buck

I would do a final rinse, mist the whole car down with Detail Spray to neutralize the water, then go around the crevices with the Sidekick (mirrors, lights, wheels, etc), and then follow up with your normal drying routine.

The way I use it the Sidekick gets the water out of the cracks so when you do go to start drying you won't be battling the "incessant drips" that always show up when you are done with the car

^^^I'll have to give this a try. MINIs are notorious for drips and the coupe is particularly skilled at holding on to water in the trunk drains and wing well then dribbling it out a little at a time long after I've finished blow-drying with the Sidekick and a final buffing.

Phil to remark your regimen above since you are leaning towards the Sidekick and imo it's the best bang for the buck

I would do a final rinse, mist the whole car down with Detail Spray to neutralize the water, then go around the crevices with the Sidekick (mirrors, lights, wheels, etc), and then follow up with your normal drying routine.

The way I use it the Sidekick gets the water out of the cracks so when you do go to start drying you won't be battling the "incessant drips" that always show up when you are done with the car

So, rinse, DS mist, sidekick crevices, then dry with towels? Wouldn't I be blowing water into the crevices in some cases if I don't first dry the car?

After rinsing, I use the Sidekick to remove most of the water first and to blast the cracks and crevices.  I use a pressure washer to rinse (not a flood rinse with a hose), so blowing first keeps the towel from getting too wet.  After blowing, I move it into the garage then mist the whole vehicle with DS and then use the GWDT to dry.

Jason's method of using DS first helps with preventing water spots, since you can't always dry fast enough, especially in sun or heat.  If you have hard water or it is hot and sunny, use his method.  Since I use DI water for rinsing, I can take my time blowing and drying and not worry about spots.

Do what works for you.  I sheet rinse, DS mist, dry with Great White, blow out spots with SideKick while catching drips with a blue waffle-weave.  Followed by a total DS rub-down with another blue waffle (unless I intend to wax).

You'll have to work out your own procedure.