Customer Service 866.965.0400

Glass always seems oily

pirahnah3

Question

Ok, so I have spent plenty of time cleaning my windows with Adams glass cleaner (Still the old as I have about a half gallon left). 

I have clayed the windows twice so far in the trucks 16k mile life. 

I clean them weekly with Adams and the glass towels. 

I have tried to use AP Cleaner on them as well. When I used this I noticed a film showed up but went away after a wipe with the glass cleaner and towel. 

The issue I am having is that I can always seem to see the outline of where the wipers go, not like its dirty but if the window is foggy or covered in dew I still see it. Take this morning for example, the window was totally covered in a fine layer of moisture, but I could see all kinds of lines and streaks in it and I have not used the wipers since cleaning the window the day before. Not sure how to remove these or that seeming haze on the window. 

Ideas are appreciated. I am planning an order for labor day so if it is something I dont have I can always add it to the order if it seems to get enough agreement. 

Try a small spot with some acetone (or nail polish remover but the old style unsafe stuff not the new odor free gentle stuff). Put it on, wipe a little and let it flash off on its own, then clean as normal.

If that doesn't take it I think you'll have to go to a mechanical method (0000 steel wool & lube) I've never tried any of the finishing polishes on glass but it might work. Several companies make windshield polishing products and pads.

M

Guest washemup

I would polish your exterior windshield with cerium oxide and a glass polishing pad. Make sure the wiper blades are clean and free of debris afterwards. Then use the glass sealant. When doing anything glass related, I'd recommend wearing gloves.

If the oils from your hands get on the towels your using to wipe it down, your just spreading it all over the glass when you flip it to the side your hand was on.

A clean plush towel, like the double soft, is great for a final wipe after you've used cleaners to get rid of any streaks.

On interior glass, if it has oil or smoke film on it, white vinegar diluted with distilled water, then wiped with newspaper are excellent at removing them.

Edited by washemup

Ok so kinda digging this up with an update. 

It took a little longer to get to than I would have liked but wanted to have the time and all that. 

So I got some nice Lab grade isopropyl and did a FULL wipedown of the front glass, trim, wipers and arms, anything that got close enough to the windshield other than the bugs that constantly seem to like to be kamakazis, 

So I wiped it down fully, then used the older formula glass cleaner on it (Im almost out, honestly) Did the inside and outside, did all the other windows as well some with the same towel that cleaned the front glass and no issues on the other glass. 

These are a couple pics from getting into the truck this morning. I cleaned the glass the afternoon before. 

Also, I did not use the glass sealer yet as I wanted to clay it one more time after the full clean up. 

One pic is the drivers side the other is the pass side. As much as the glass looks it the windshield wipers were NOT used prior to taking the pics. The flash was used in these and no other lights were on in the area, not even streetlights. 

Some advice would be appreciated

Did you clay them?

Have not clayed yet, got tied up with stuff. Hoping to get a good cleaning in later this weekend (only topped out at 60 today lol)  supposed to be a nice day monday, If I can keep myself out of work on monday Ill be out with the truck on a nice partly cloudy 76 degree high day. 

Been a long time but wanted to put an update out on this. 

Tried to clay again with the winter detail, clay worked fine on the vehicle but no effect on the glass, tried straight isopropyl as well as methanol with no results. 

I finally got some #0000 steel wool and used that with some detail spray. 

Dang, wish I had done that sooner! took me all of 2 minutes to have a PERFECT windshield again. Thanks for all the help! 

Thanks, def considering doing interiors and all that also, glass was super smooth and clean after. 

I would be a little more careful using #0000 steel wool on interior glass, and obviously do not use it on any aftermarket tinted windows.

I would be a little more careful using #0000 steel wool on interior glass, and obviously do not use it on any aftermarket tinted windows.

I dont have aftermarket tinted windows just whatever the factory did. Would you still not do that on the side windows? 

BIll, she lives outside 24/7 but it has been like this since I had picked it up from the dealership really. The interior had a nice semi oily swipe on it as well, which were always problematic to clean with regular stuff but came clean the first time I used Adams glass cleaner.

I used the steel wool over a month ago now and there are still no issues with it. It had to be something between the factory and the delivery to the stealership and there were smear marks on the outside of the glass as well where obviously they had no idea what they were doing.