Customer Service 866.965.0400

Working clean

Jason S.

Question

I've watched a lot of videos on AMMO NYC and some stuff with Kevin Brown. One of his main points is about working clean. This encompasses everything, but he primarily refers to "clean" pads. As you correct the paint, your pads are going to start getting contaminated and will start to become less effective. If they get too dirty, you may even begin adding defects as you remove them. I am VERY new to the polishing process. I have a new PC7424 and all the Adams polishing pads (but only 1 item per) and polishes (including the hand polishes). I am looking to hear about your techniques for working clean. How often do you stop and clean you pad? Do you operate the pad agsinst a microfiber towel, remove and wash, change to a new pad altogether, etc? I realize there are a LOT of variables, but how many pads should I keep in my inventory as a weekend enthusiast? It's pretty rare that I'm going to spend an entire day(s) polishing the entire car, but what's the average amount of pads I might need to complete a whole (relatively new, well cared for) mid size sedan? Can you complete an entire vehicle with only one pad? Thanks in advance for your responses.

14 answers to this question

I have a pad washer and absolutely love it. I have done both the by hand method as well as the pad washer and I think the pad washer does a better job at cleaning. Takes half the amount of time as well. I normally throw a towel around the bucket to prevent water from splashing on the polishers, but it works perfect for my cyclo as well as my Bigfoot 21.

There are some in the detailing circles that say you should have a new pad for every panel, which would be 6-8 per car. I've never seen anyone from Adams comment on their recommendation on the number of pads per car.

6 to 8 seems to excessive to me, but 1 doesnt feel like enough. at some point that pad is going to get bogged down with product. 

Hey Jason, welcome to the wonderful world of machine polishing!

I agree with John that 1 pad does not seem to be enough, although if you will be doing the whole car over 2 days instead of all at once you might get away with it. I only have 2 of each, but have smallish cars and use 2 different size pads depending on the area.

I'm sure you already know this but I'll mention it anyway, the main thing is to start clean, meaning good strip wash and clay. You do not want the pad picking up debris from the car, so the only thing that needs to be cleaned from the pad is polish. After getting the pad primed, apply the polish sparingly, you don't need a whole bunch of product to do a good job.

After each panel, I use a pad brush to get rid of excess, dried compound and if needed hit it with a blast of compressed air. If the car is in decent condition I can get away with one pad, but its nice to have a back up just in case.

I will typically use 2-3 orange foam pads and 2 white foam pads per vehicle if I am correcting an entire car or truck in one day. With the orange microfiber cutting pad, I use them only in the spots I need them and brush the fibers up every time I pull the polisher off of the surface of the vehicle. If I was polishing a whole vehicle with orange microfiber pads, I would probably use 2-3 as well.

If you're just doing a few panels one day, you can clean the pads and let them dry for about 2 days and then continue onto more panels. I get annoyed when I'm paint correcting and I run out of clean pads, so I always try to have 2-4 clean orange and white pads at all times. Red and Gray foam pads I can go a little longer before needed to clean or grab a second one.

Another way to 'work clean' is to tape areas that may get your pads dirty or damaged - sunroof surrounds, roof and window trim, emblems, etc.  I work on pre-war cars and tape the radiators, hood hinges, and any non-painted surfaces to avoid picking up metal residue. 

Thanks for that link! I am slowly building an inventory of pads so I'll have a nice collection. The problem I had was with the MF pads was they ended up with "dress" of polish/fibers and I even cleaned (or so I thought) between panels.