Customer Service 866.965.0400

Help with Leather Conditioner

ouhockeyplayer

Question

I applied leather conditioner to the side bolsters on my seats and I have noticed that I am getting some odd discoloration in the areas closest to the center of the seat or near the Alcantara.  Basically it looks like those areas are still dark from a fresh application and the rest of the bolster looks lighter.  I usually wait 24 hours before driving after applying the conditioner and I've tried both methods of wiping after application and not wiping the area down.  I'm assuming this is due to where my body contacts or rubs on the bolsters but I'm wondering if anyone else has had similar issues.  

IMG_3837_zps1hjfwegz.jpg

9 answers to this question

I had a Cruze for a couple of years, and the leather did the same thing. Leather in the Cherokee I'm now driving doesn't do this, but does seem to get darker every time I condition it, and doesn't get lighter, I think it was never conditioned from the factory and is just now getting to where it should be.

I've told people this for years.  You're most likely to see streaks or discoloration the first time you apply it.  It simply means that some areas of your fabrics are dryer than others and are absorbing the conditoner quicker than others and will need more.  Sometimes, it takes 3 or even 4 applications before it all looks uniform and everything is treated well.  You can't apply too much, and if you think you did........wipe it off.  Great stuff.  And don't forget to do the dash.  High SPF factor to protect from sun damage. 

Thanks Rich.  The dash is a plastic material.  Can you use leather conditioner on plastic?

You can.  Won't hurt a thing.  Or you can use the Total Interior Detailer for the hard plastic.