Customer Service 866.965.0400

Dusty before detail?

Coderedpl

Question

So just looking to get some opinions from you guys.

I've washed my car about 2-3 weeks ago in preparation for a full paint correction session. Due to lack of time I haven't exactly gotten around to it but planning on soon.

In that time the car got some dusting on it, some of which is just plain dirt and another from when I did some bondo sanding work outside the garage and it blew in.

So, the way I see it I have a few possible options:

1. Sidekick - try and blow everything off.

2. A quick waterless wash wipe down, scratches don't matter as its getting detailed.

3. Quick water rinse down and pull back inside for correction....

What would YOU do?

8 answers to this question

i would start with the side kick as you have the option and then see what it looks like. 

A rinseless is never a bad option but also as you are planning a full correction waterless should be fine as if you impart a small scratch you will be removing it anyways. 

If you dont get much of it to blow off then I would certainly do a rinselss if not a more hybridized 1 bucket method. 

I personally would just rewash it. Drench it with water and get anything off it.  I would not want to risk  dirt coming out of vents, trim, etc. and getting into my buffing bad.

Unless I missed some reason you cant do a normal wash.

It really does not take me much longer to do a regular bucket wash than rinseless.

I am not a pro by any means but I would want it clean before doing paint correction without chance of debris.

Just to update, the dusting was primarily situated on the front of the car. I got most of it off using the sidekick but it still needs a waterless wash wipe down. Not worried about it getting in the cracks and such as the wasn't standing in a shop getting filled with the dust, i was doing some minor work in front of the car by hand.