Customer Service 866.965.0400

Will Wheel Cleaner Strip Your Wheel?

Chris@Adams

Question

This question as been coming up a lot lately.....Will WC strip your PS or whatever protection you may have.

So I thought I would do a little testing tonight.

First I applied a coat of PS.

Wheel & ps.png

Then I spayed the wheel down with WC, let it work  for 15 min. or so then agitated with the Wheel Brush.

I didn't expect a lot of purple action because the wheels were pretty clean, however that wasn't the purpose of this test because we all know how well the WC works.

wc.png

wc close up.png

wc & wheel brush.png

After brushing I rinsed  the WC off.

You can see the water beading in the before WC pic.

before wc.png

And you can see in this pic is after cleaned with Wheel Cleaner.

The PS may have been stripped slightly but as you can see the wheel still beads up.

after WC.png

11 answers to this question

Hrm, I was told this in a previous thread.... is this not the case anymore?

So its kind of a complex situation - Deep Wheel Cleaner as it sits won't remove the protection, its actually at, or very close to neutral pH (production variance can have it + or - a small percentage, but for the sake of argument lets assume its neutral) The active ingredient, the stuff that changes colors, is actually an acid - the rest of the makeup of the product is alkaline to balance it out to neutral.

When the acid part of the formula reacts with the metallics it goes thru a chemical change, and the alkaline portion of the formula takes over pushing the pH scale towards the alkaline side.

So - long story short - when its first sprayed on DWC won't do anything to break down protection, but as it reacts it becomes increasingly alkaline which will to a degree 'degrade' the protection. At no point do I think its strong enough to remove quick sealant, but it probably could after a few uses.

http://www.adamsforums.com/topic/28408-quick-sealant-and-deep-wheel-cleaner/#entry445660