Customer Service 866.965.0400

Wheel Cleaner Substitute Needed

banjozach

Question

I'm all out of Adam's Wheel Cleaner. I need to wash off the salt and road grime from last week's ice/snow, and tomorrow is my only day I'm going to be able to do it.

Is there any Adam's products that I can use to make a temporary wheel cleaner, or should I just run to Walmart and buy some Meguires or whatever they have? I have pretty much all of the other Adam's products to work with. I'm sure the obvious answer is a diluted solution of All Purpose Cleaner.

22 answers to this question

I had asked in another thread and never really got an answer, but isn't the wheel cleaner more like an iron-x type product? It's going to strip the crap out of any LSP on your wheels. Clearly there's no need, but I'd think you wouldn't even want to use this stuff every day. This is a once or twice a year, spring cleaning type product, no??

Edited by galaxy

I had asked in another thread and never really got an answer, but isn't the wheel cleaner more like an iron-x type product? It's going to strip the crap out of any LSP on your wheels. Clearly there's no need, but I'd think you wouldn't even want to use this stuff every day. This is a once or twice a year, spring cleaning type product, no??

I tend to use it when I do a full detail where I'll be rebuilding all the steps to provide protection. I wouldn't use it when I'm just going to clean it up. When I'm doing a "wash and wax" style, I use softer cleaners.

It is similar to an iron-x product where it will dissolve the iron from the surface. It doubles for me as a paint decontamination product.

Wheel Cleaner should not be required with every wash.  It's definitely overkill for properly sealed wheels.  Neither should APC, which excels more in cleaning oil/grease, be required here.

Except for a couple of times/year, I stick with diluted Shampoo on my wheels.  (It works well, costs a fraction of the other options, and doesn't strip away LSPs.)

Edited by Norton

Yup...I've never had the same car wash I use on the paint not remove the normal grime/brake dust from normal driving.  But my wheels get the same TLC as the paint.  I use that type product once a year; usually after winter when the salt winter roads combines with the iron deposits from the brake dust.  I just got the impression from more than one post on here that folks are using this every time they wash.

Yup...I've never had the same car wash I use on the paint not remove the normal grime/brake dust from normal driving.  But my wheels get the same TLC as the paint.  I use that type product once a year; usually after winter when the salt winter roads combines with the iron deposits from the brake dust.  I just got the impression from more than one post on here that folks are using this every time they wash.

I agree that for some vehicles, Wheel Cleaner isn't needed often at all if wheels are maintained as well as the paint; however, on some vehicles with high performance brakes and pad compounds like a lot of the newer vehicles with Brembos, brake dust can build up very heavily in as little as a week of driving on some vehicles. If a wheel is sealed/coated, it will usually clean up fairly easy, but a lot of people don't seal wheels and a stronger cleaner like our Wheel Cleaner may be necessary every few washes. 

High performance brakes are awesome at how well they operate, but I've used our Wheel Cleaner about every 3 washes now on the last 2 daily drivers I've had - Buick Regal G.S. and now the Chevy SS, both with Brembos. If I go more than a week without washing the wheels, regular Car Shampoo or All Purpose Cleaner will not get them 100% clean in a quick and efficient manner.

So we are not supposed to use the wheel cleaner every wash??

You can, but you may be throwing money out the door. I was using it every wash, too, but have backed off to only use it when absolutely necessary, i.e., brake dust built up that I can see. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the WC, and it certainly works as advertised, but my rate may (probably?) now have something to do with our current DDs. My old Audi created brake dust like crazy, but our Kias and Nissan, not so much. After I apply LPS to the wheels, I'm guessing that will likely also make use of the WC that much less frequent. But hey, that just leaves more to spend on other products (and knowing me, MBs!) in the interim!

Nice thanks!  What are the opinions on the Side Kick or the Shop Vac.  I can not even come close to affording or even wanting to buy the other offerings from Adam's as they are WAY out of my range for just detailing my personal vehicles.

Nice thanks!  What are the opinions on the Side Kick or the Shop Vac.  I can not even come close to affording or even wanting to buy the other offerings from Adam's as they are WAY out of my range for just detailing my personal vehicles.

Definitely the Sidekick, since it blows filtered air that is also heated.

Be careful with the Shop Vac, don't use the hose to blow with, as the inside is coated with dust and dirt that can get blown onto your paint and cause scratches.

LSP?? lol I am new here.  and MBs?  I have a 14 Camaro SS 1LE and it is running some carbon ceramic HF pads.

Check this out... http://www.adamsforums.com/topic/4903-adams-acronymsabbreviations/

Liquid Paint Sealant = LPS

MB = Mystery Boxes or Master Blaster.

Yes, sorry, meant Liquid Paint Sealant (I think the new abbreviation is P-S...no dash) and Mystery Box, based on this updated abbreviation list: http://www.adamsforums.com/topic/31826-acronym-expansion/. While I just got the Sidekick for Christmas, the Master Blaster is out of my range right now, too.

I'm guessing your pads will generate more brake dust than your average daily, so the WC may be needed more often.

Wheel Cleaner should not be required with every wash.  It's definitely overkill for properly sealed wheels.  Neither should APC, which excels more in cleaning oil/grease, be required here.

Except for a couple of times/year, I stick with diluted Shampoo on my wheels.  (It works well, costs a fraction of the other options, and doesn't strip away LSPs.)

I am using a similar solution. I put a few ounces of CS in and mix it with about 10-15 sprays of APC and maybe an ounce of RW and then 30 ounces of agua. All that in a bottle with a foaming sprayer. Seems to do the trick.

Nice thanks! What are the opinions on the Side Kick or the Shop Vac. I can not even come close to affording or even wanting to buy the other offerings from Adam's as they are WAY out of my range for just detailing my personal vehicles.

As the Wolf said, get a sidekick. They are very powerful for the size, and safe for your paint. I started with a side kick a few years ago and finally upgraded to the master blaster for home use, but I still take the sidekick when I'm mobile.

If you have sealed or coated your wheels, will applying the wheel cleaner remove the coating/sealant to that point that you need to seal them again?

There was a test done for this I believe. I'm not sure about coatings since that's a relatively new product here, but as far as the wheel cleaner removing sealant, it will over time. A few uses of the Wheel Cleaner will remove a sealant. However, I always apply HGG to them after using Wheel Cleaner to negate this. The Wheel Cleaner isn't supposed to be used as an every wash item for this reason, but some people will anyway. 

I'm going to take an additional stab and say periodic use of wheel cleaner won't remove a coating... but I'm not 100% sure. I'm thinking if you have a wheel coating applied, a simple maintenance wash will remove any brake dust. But don't take my word 100% on that.

I use Adams wheel cleaner every 2-3 months (1/4 bottle for 4 wheels) so the 16oz can last for a year.. Every one or two weeks I do a maintenance wash to the fenders/tires/wheels with Apc, car shampoo and my brushes.. I Use shampoo on the wheels and they're sealed.. Result is awesome!

When it's been 2 or 3 months I use wheel cleaner & inspect protection.. If it's gone I reseal. Hope that helps!