Customer Service 866.965.0400

New Product......Clay Lube Gallon Size

Geebee

Question

Do you think Adam’s would consider selling a dedicated Clay Lube Gallon size?  The reason I ask is that if I use the Adam’s Detail Spray as a lube, it would get a little expensive over time with all the cars I’m claying. I can go to a third party vendor and buy a gallon of clay lube for $10.00 less than what I’m paying for a gallon of Adam’s Detail Spray. I will go thru a gallon in no time with the cars I’m going to have to detail over the next month for friends. I hate to sound like a penny pincher, but I'm a retired guy on a fixed income and with my Adam's addiction......well, you know! 

Just a suggestion.

25 answers to this question

Why not use diluted Rinseless Wash?  I have been using this for several years - it works fine and is way cheaper than DS.  Dilute at 1 part RW to 64 parts water.  If my math is right that is 1/4 oz RW to 16 oz of distilled water.  I keep a 32 oz bottle pre-mixed for refilling my 16 oz spray bottle. 

Why not use diluted Rinseless Wash?  I have been using this for several years - it works fine and is way cheaper than DS.  Dilute at 1 part RW to 64 parts water.  If my math is right that is 1/4 oz RW to 16 oz of distilled water.  I keep a 32 oz bottle pre-mixed for refilling my 16 oz spray bottle. 

Thanks for the tip Michael.  

I will also agree with Michael's recommendation.  I have a lot of DS (2.5 gallons of regular DS and 4 gallons of Pumpkin Spice DS), so in my case I still haven't had to resort to this method, but I have tried it before just to see how well it works and I was very pleased with the results.  

Interesting... Just don't see the point in a dedicated clay lube. It's just watered down product that serves no other purpose.

Before coming to Adam's I bought a gallon of a dedicated clay lube from the dark side and after really looking at it and using it, it was the same as one of their quick detail sprays....except the clay lube was more expensive. 

Before coming to Adam's I bought a gallon of a dedicated clay lube from the dark side and after really looking at it and using it, it was the same as one of their quick detail sprays....except the clay lube was more expensive. 

As for the dark side....LOL the Clay Lube was $8.00 cheaper than they're detail spray in gallons. I just didn't want to screw around and dilute and mix the Waterless Wash and RO water and have the clay leave streaks. If Adam's would have sold a Clay Lube, I'd buy it from them. That in a way is my point. I think Adam's needs a Clay Lube on they're product line that meets the high standards I have experienced and expect with Adam's products.

Edited by Geebee

For $15 you could get a 16oz bottle of Rinseless Wash and put 2 ounces in a gallon jug and have a gallon of Clay Lube. Its so easy. There is no need for to make a dedicated lube. Sorry I'm just failing to see the upside of a dedicated lube.

For $15 you can get 8 gallons of clay lube.

As for the dark side....LOL the Clay Lube was $8.00 cheaper than they're detail spray in gallons. I just didn't want to screw around and dilute and mix the Waterless Wash and RO water and have the clay leave streaks. If Adam's would have sold a Clay Lube, I'd buy it from them. That in a way is my point. I think Adam's needs a Clay Lube on they're product line that meets the high standards I have experienced and expect with Adam's products.

My experience was a few years ago and I don't actually think they carry that specific DS any more, it has since been replaced by a pink one that is same price as the blue clay lube.  Regardless, I know that some people don't like to mess with dilution ratios and prefer RTU products so hopefully Adams will listen to the call and come out with something in the future.  

Edited by jakerodz7

For $15 you could get a 16oz bottle of Rinseless Wash and put 2 ounces in a gallon jug and have a gallon of Clay Lube. Its so easy. There is no need for to make a dedicated lube. Sorry I'm just failing to see the upside of a dedicated lube.

For $15 you can get 8 gallons of clay lube.

Jason......with that mix, my friends have had issues with streaking while claying. Even with 4oz. of Waterless Wash, it still streaked.  I'm sticking with a dedicated Clay Lube.....Thanks anyways.

I don't see a point in making another product that's just "dedicated" for 1 job when we have 2 perfectly good products that can do the job. One is a little more expensive (detail spray) and the other is very affordable (rinseless). But that's my opinion. I know some people don't like dealing with diluting products.

Jason......with that mix, my friends have had issues with streaking while claying. Even with 4oz. of Waterless Wash, it still streaked. I'm sticking with a dedicated Clay Lube.....Thanks anyways.

I guess I'm confused as to why streaking while claying is a problem. The car should have another wash of some kind before any polishing happens and that would get rid of any clay residue and streaking.

Ive tried waterless for clay lube, didnt like it at all, 

Used detail spray with success 

Used 16:1 rinseless as clay lube with reasonable success 

For the cost, I like the rinseless, but I will say if I kept it a little heavier on the rinseless it would work better, but I use the 16:1 for waterless washes so I always have it around. 

I guess I'm confused as to why streaking while claying is a problem. The car should have another wash of some kind before any polishing happens and that would get rid of any clay residue and streaking.

Beat me to it.

I have not tried it yet, but with using 2 oz of rinseless in three gallons for washing, it doesn't seem like it'd be slick enough for clay lube, but I'll try it eventually. I still have a gallon of another brand QD sitting around that I'll just blow through for a clay lube though. Might as well.

Jason......with that mix, my friends have had issues with streaking while claying. Even with 4oz. of Waterless Wash, it still streaked.  I'm sticking with a dedicated Clay Lube.....Thanks anyways.

If you are claying then streaking is a non-issue, the paint is going to be polished afterwards anyway, if the detail is done properly.

Wash (and/or Strip), decontaminate (clay), polish, seal, add toppers if desired in that order. Shouldn't really be claying if you aren't going to polish because you're just introducing scratches into the paint.

Edited by Kingsford

Guys, he's entitled to his opinion. Everyone needs to get off the "streaking doesn't matter if you're going to polish" band wagon if that's all you have to offer. Clearly, he's interested in a new product that other company's happen to have. Personally, I'd like clay lube too so I don't have to use my Waterless or Detail Spray. I use everything full strength.

Edited by Mariner

Guys, he's entitled to his opinion. Everyone needs to get off the "streaking doesn't matter if you're going to polish" band wagon if that's all you have to offer. Clearly, he's interested in a new product that other company's happen to have. Personally, I'd like clay lube too so I don't have to use my Waterless or Detail Spray. I use everything full strength.

I don't see how anyone has attacked him on a personal level. We're allowed to question his thinking, It's the best way get answers and broaden your knowledge base. I am interested to see why the streaking is an issue to him.

I use most products at full strength as well. Within Adam's, detail spray is their clay lube. I don't see what the cost/benefit would be for Adam's to make a dedicated clay lube when they already have a proven formula in DS that lets you clay without marring paint. This doesn't even look into diluted Rinseless​ as an option.

Interested to see the reasoning behind why the streaking is an issue in his case.

Well if that was the case for everything, then we could cut Adam's line up in half and substitute of other products that can "do the job." Glass boost, wash and wax, strip wash, list goes on and on. Adam's prides themselves on ease of application, so for us that deligate certain products to certain applications, why not. Clay lube may be able to be listed at a cheaper price than detail spray. In fact the reason I use Waterless instead is because it's cheaper. I don't really care why he thinks streaking matters. I'm more focused on the original topic of a new product, whether it's feasible or not. And if other carriers have it, then apparently it is. It's not like he's asking Adam's to create something nobody has ever heard of.

Well if that was the case for everything, then we could cut Adam's line up in half and substitute of other products that can "do the job." Glass boost, wash and wax, strip wash, list goes on and on. Adam's prides themselves on ease of application, so for us that deligate certain products to certain applications, why not. Clay lube may be able to be listed at a cheaper price than detail spray. In fact the reason I use Waterless instead is because it's cheaper. I don't really care why he thinks streaking matters. I'm more focused on the original topic of a new product, whether it's feasible or not. And if other carriers have it, then apparently it is. It's not like he's asking Adam's to create something nobody has ever heard of.

Dustin....my sediments exactly. Adam's needs to carry a Clay Lube in they're product line.

I've always been stuck to rinseless solution (64:1) never failed me.. But when I used car shampoo with a foam gun as a clay lubricant I fell in love.. It made the job a lot quicker!.. Try it once!

Thanks Mohammad. I'll give it a try.