Customer Service 866.965.0400

Scratched my windshield with Adam's clay bar or microfiber towel ?

2017CAMARO2SS

Question

Need your help!

Purchased a bunch of Adam's products (over $350 in total). I've been driving my new Camaro for around 2 month now so I decided to clean my front windshield with Adam's Visco Clay Bar and Adam's Glass Cleaner. However after I was done cleaning I've noticed a lot of fine swirl marks or fine scratches as they call them literally all over my windshield. I used Adam's Glass Cleaner Neon Green Microfiber Towels and used Glass Cleaner as a lubricant when I was working with Visco clay bar. 

Did you clean the windshield first?

I Absolutely did! I cleaned my car inside the car wash and then proceed to use Adam's glass cleaning products. I think I should take some photos to show you guys. It doesn't even look like deep swirl marks, just tiny ones. I see them mainly during the night especially when an out side source of light is shining through the windshield.  

Glass cleaner is not made to be used as a clay lube. For that you would need detail spray or just soap and water. 

You might be able to fix it with window polish. Youd probably want to call and ask adams team to see if they have any polish that has been tested on windows or glass. Maybe you can ask them if the window ceramic coating has a type of filler in it that will help get rid of those swirls

Did you clay it or clean it in direct sun? Was the windshield hot? You could have product that dried on your windshield, think water spots but swirls from the motion of claying. The only time I use Adam's window cleaner as my lub for the Windows is if I'm going to seal them right after.

Glass cleaner is not made to be used as a clay lube. For that you would need detail spray or just soap and water.

You might be able to fix it with window polish. Youd probably want to call and ask adams team to see if they have any polish that has been tested on windows or glass. Maybe you can ask them if the window ceramic coating has a type of filler in it that will help get rid of those swirls

I have detailed spray too but I assumed that glass cleaner would but just fine as a lubricant. In fact the way I understand it, since glass is stronger than clay it shouldn't leave any streaks or even fine scratches especially considering that I was using lubricant and I washed my car right before. FYI I used brand new Vico clay bar.

Did you clay it or clean it in direct sun? Was the windshield hot? You could have product that dried on your windshield, think water spots but swirls from the motion of claying. The only time I use Adam's window cleaner as my lub for the Windows is if I'm going to seal them right after.

Since I was washing my car at around 2 am there was no sun that could have dried my windshield. Not to mention I drove for about 5 minutes right after workout and washed my car right afterwards with pressure washer for at least 3-5 minutes.

If you have some brilliant glaze try some on a microfiber towel on a small area and see if that removes it.Unless you had rocks or diamonds in your clay It would be unlikely you would harm glass with clay.

You are giving me some hope man. I was also surprised that a brand new car that was driven for less than 3000 km that was washed could be damaged by a brand new clay bar and brand new glass towels that Adam has recommended.

If the Camaro is that new, complain to GM. I'd leave out that you clayed it. They love to blame the customer

This is a brand spanking new 2017 Camaro that was probably sitting for a while at the other dealership. It had to bring it from Quebec to Toronto. I don't believe anything will be done to resolve this situation by GM. 

Edited by 2017CAMARO2SS

Is it possible the scratches were there, but filled with dirt and claying removed said dirt. The end result is seeing all the hidden scratches.

I read another old thread here where someone said exactly the same thing. However my windshield wasn't really dirty I just thought that claying would make it even better, especially if I was to seal it with a glass sealer. 

As stated above, a new clay bar cannot scratch glass.

In addition to the above suggestion to clean the windshield with Brilliant Glaze to remove any leftover residue, you should also clean the interior of the windshield, just in case the issue you are seeing is on the inside.

New cars typically have a film of residue from manufacturing and the off-gassing from the new plastics, and it is often difficult to remove with just Glass Cleaner.  The solvents in the Brilliant Glaze will break down this residue.  Also, make sure your towels are clean, and many people have found that the Green Microfiber Glass Scrubbing Towels need to be washed before being used the first time.

Check your windshield wipers for grit too. My wife's new to her Fiesta needs a new windshield because the current one has scoring arced perfectly matching the wipers. If your wipers are damaged, this could be the beginning of more damage and you just happened to see it.

I have clayed my windshield many times vigorously back when it got hit with paint overspray, and even with the brutal scrubbings I gave it, there was no windshield damage.

Hello my friend hello,

I'm just curious did you take the plastic clear wrapper off the clay bar? The only reason I asked I did it last week, I scrubbed and scrubbed and almost threw the clay away until I realized that the clay had a wrapper on it. This did not damage my GM windshield or paint lol.

I would try hand polishing your window by hand first you can use adams brilliant or buttery, to check and see if you really have damage to your windows, this will remove any kind of residue that may be on the windshield. Do not use any kind of razor blades on the glass because any type of incorrect position could damage the glass. You could also try steel wool number #0000 four zeros is ok to use on glass and won't damage or create damage. This will remove any air Bourne impurities from the glass.

It is possible your clay could have picked up debri and cause damage and if this is the case, don't even bother trying to polish the glass with a drill or buffer, it won't work. The only thing left to do would be is to replace your two month old glas and hopefully it doesn't come to this.

My money is on the fact it's either overspray residue  or it' s on the inside. Both situations can be a headache to get off.  I would give the windshield a good scrubbing with Dawn dish soap and then rinse  well, and dry it.  Afterwards, spray it with glass cleaner (I prefer the newer Adam's foam cleaner) and a clean micro.  Buff it with a double soft . Don't worry about any lint or fibers for now, they'll blow off if there are any.  Do both the inside and outside the same way.  I've found that Dawn is the only thing that cuts through that garbage that builds up on the windows.  And you get it from day one, and even if you don't smoke or know of any reason why you'd get buildup.  

Hello my friend hello,

I'm just curious did you take the plastic clear wrapper off the clay bar? The only reason I asked I did it last week, I scrubbed and scrubbed and almost threw the clay away until I realized that the clay had a wrapper on it. This did not damage my GM windshield or paint lol.

I would try hand polishing your window by hand first you can use adams brilliant or buttery, to check and see if you really have damage to your windows, this will remove any kind of residue that may be on the windshield. Do not use any kind of razor blades on the glass because any type of incorrect position could damage the glass. You could also try steel wool number #0000 four zeros is ok to use on glass and won't damage or create damage. This will remove any air Bourne impurities from the glass.

It is possible your clay could have picked up debri and cause damage and if this is the case, don't even bother trying to polish the glass with a drill or buffer, it won't work. The only thing left to do would be is to replace your two month old glas and hopefully it doesn't come to this.

Lol you left the plastic wrapper on!!