Customer Service 866.965.0400

Choosing the right products

Lately it seems that there’s been a bunch of questions on the forums with regard to what products go with what.  It can be a confusing world of products especially as new “better” releases come about.

The first thing to consider is that just because something new comes along, it doesn’t mean the old product is obsolete. Change can come about for a million different reasons. It could be development, supply availability, changes in production...and the list goes on. 

New products also don’t mean they fit in your detailing supply cabinet. We all have different needs based on our tastes, what we used and continue to use and where we want our detailing to go. There’s always a temptation to try new products (and we try a bunch), but it doesn’t always mean it’s a good fit. The point I’m trying to make is to not force a product to fit because it’s the “latest and greatest.”

The “ceramic” line of products is a great example. The ceramic boost, wax, coatings are great products. They aren’t the ideal application for every user. Much in the same way that a regular wax isn’t ideal for a ceramic user. 

You can mix and match products as you go, but it may not be the best match. Think of it like mixing ingredients in the kitchen. Sure, it might go and not be bad. But it also won’t be the “wow” that makes you want to come back to it time and time again. 

When evaluating which products you want to use, consider what your goals are and define them. 

How long do you want the product to last?

How much maintenance do you want to do?

How much work do you want to put in for the project in the beginning?

Where is the vehicle kept?  How is it driven?  Is it a daily?  Or a garage queen?

What tools do you have or are willing to invest in?

What’s your budget look like?

Once you know some of those answers (and possibly more), you can put together your product list.

If you like the process of waxing your car often, ceramic based products may not be up your alley. You can still achieve a great finish without ceramics. Sealant, glaze and wax provides great durability and finish while allowing you to scratch the itch of needing to wax your ride. 

If you want more durability, maybe a coating is right for you. You need to be patient in its prep and application. I’ve mentioned before that great prep equals a great finish. The same is also true. If you cut corners, there’s a good chance it will show in the finish. Keep in mind though that coatings are NOT maintenance free, regardless of advertising hype. 

A weekend detailer can often produce the same results as a professional detailer. There’s plenty of access to some great products out there. We use many of the same products available to everyone in our work. Sure, there’s some that are “pro only,” but those tend to be more high end coatings then routine products to use. The biggest differences between the pro and the weekend guy/girl are that pros usually have a deeper arsenal of products, an understanding of products along with their nuances and pros often have a larger selection of tools to get the job done efficiently. 

The big thing is to evaluate each product, see how it fits in your scope of practice and to understand when and why to use something. More importantly, know when not to use something because it doesn’t fit in your vision. It can be difficult to resist temptation of the latest and greatest sometimes, but like they say “if it’s not broke, don’t fix it.” 

When in doubt ask questions, experiment and see what works for you. Just test in small doses so you don’t create a bunch of work for yourself fixing something you have done. 

- No idea why the font carried over like that when I wrote it and copied it over. Oh well!
Edited by shane@detailedreflections
Font

I'd also like to thank Shane, me and him have had a conversation about buffing pads.  He has also done a lot to answer questions, I think the forum/facebook group is a good tool, some of us detail a lot, and some less.  So groups have use or tried things more so its good to share knowledge to others. 

@shane@detailedreflections You are much appreciated on this forum. Your answers and guidance are well thought out and thorough. I’ve learned quite a bit from you! Whish I had been able to make it to your clinic. If you decide to do another, fingers crossed it is in the fall. I’ve always wanted to see the fall colors on the east coast. Thanks for your sticking around and contributing!

@8675309'SS and @Mbrazelton  thank you so much!  I don’t plan to go anywhere and always try to contribute some quality posts to this community. I’ve learned my share here, so it’s only fair to return that knowledge to other users. 

If we gather enough interest I wouldn’t be opposed to hosting another small clinic similar to the one this spring. It’s sometbing we should get on planning to see if it’s feasible!  

I still have an excellent list of feedback that @pirahnah3 was kind enough to provide for me about how to build upon the first one we did. We are always striving to learn and evolve. Some days it seems like we have it together and other days it feels like it’s falling apart.

Posts like today’s are random thoughts that cross my mind as I read posts and follow trends here. That’s ultimately what lead to the decision to write it. 

Thank you again for the kind words and continued support. 

@shane@detailedreflections It so nice having people like you on this forum and in this world.  Not only are you friendly, willing to share, but also caring.  Between the advise you give the members, to your diplomacy in your articles and what you, your wife and daughter our doing for her cousin's children - it shows that you are good person and someone I look forward to meeting in person some day.

Thank You.

18 hours ago, shane@detailedreflections said:

@8675309'SS and @Mbrazelton  thank you so much!  I don’t plan to go anywhere and always try to contribute some quality posts to this community. I’ve learned my share here, so it’s only fair to return that knowledge to other users. 

If we gather enough interest I wouldn’t be opposed to hosting another small clinic similar to the one this spring. It’s sometbing we should get on planning to see if it’s feasible!  

I still have an excellent list of feedback that @pirahnah3 was kind enough to provide for me about how to build upon the first one we did. We are always striving to learn and evolve. Some days it seems like we have it together and other days it feels like it’s falling apart.

Posts like today’s are random thoughts that cross my mind as I read posts and follow trends here. That’s ultimately what lead to the decision to write it. 

Thanks Boss! You have no idea how much I have learned from you even in the short time we have been talking. Its great to have someone to share ideas with and be able to have that back and forth discussion openly. 

As to another clinic, def! you know Im there to help out even if its just to be there and learn from you and your guys. Thou I might try to get a vacuum attached to Marquis's brain for that interior knowledge, even if I can only get a little bit of it out. 

On 8/10/2018 at 11:13 AM, shane@detailedreflections said:

If you do have another small clinic I would more than likely attend. CT is not a far trip from Long Island and it would be cool to join you guys. Always good to see different a different point of view and how to do things differently. 

I vote for Oct if you end up squeezing one in this fall. I would need to put in a time off request for a day to make it over. Let us know what your thinking. 

Or if next year: after July.  :)

Edited by 8675309'SS

On 8/11/2018 at 8:48 AM, pirahnah3 said:

Thanks Boss! You have no idea how much I have learned from you even in the short time we have been talking. Its great to have someone to share ideas with and be able to have that back and forth discussion openly. 

As to another clinic, def! you know Im there to help out even if its just to be there and learn from you and your guys. Thou I might try to get a vacuum attached to Marquis's brain for that interior knowledge, even if I can only get a little bit of it out. 

On 8/11/2018 at 2:29 PM, ZMAN024 said:

Depending on timing and my schedule, I'm all for attending another clinic.  I picked up a few tips at the last one and am always up for meeting like-minded individuals who share my passion for cars.

4 hours ago, cwp2016nd said:

If you do have another small clinic I would more than likely attend. CT is not a far trip from Long Island and it would be cool to join you guys. Always good to see different a different point of view and how to do things differently. 

4 hours ago, 8675309'SS said:

I vote for Oct if you end up squeezing one in this fall. I would need to put in a time off request for a day to make it over. Let us know what your thinking. 

Or if next year: after July.  :)

Thanks everyone. I’ll talk to Marquis and see what we can put together and see what our vendors can offer up again for a fall clinic, if anything. 

And @8675309'SS, if we do one we should be able to accommodate the October request most likely.