Customer Service 866.965.0400

Ceramic Spray Coating!

Chris@Adams

Question

16 answers to this question

I'm lovin the Ceramic Spray Coating and Ceramic Paste Wax, although I'm still torn between which is my go to product for the top end vehicles.   I have 2 vehicles with the Spray Coating, 4 Ceramic Paste Wax, 2 with Americana and few others that I take care of with various Paint Sealant, Butter, Spray Wax, etc..

For those that have not tried the Wash + Coat and/or Ceramic Waterless Wash in combination with the Ceramic Spray Coating and/or Ceramic Paste Wax, you are missing out there also.

The one thing that I have decided is that when I get to Florida, I'll be doing all the Florida vehicles and Golf Carts with Ceramic Spray Coating.  I'm bit undecided on what to with the Uncles 36' camper since the effort to do it all with Ceramic would be a real paint, but the regular Spray Wax would be easy and I know it lasts 6+ months, so I'd only have to mess with it twice a year.

I just saw today they changed the formula and it is "new". My question is how long does it last on a daily driver that sits outside? Is it better than being coated with butter wax? I just Revieve Hand Polished, and Butter waxed mine, and my wifes, daily driver and was wondering if this would be a better option for better protection.

2 hours ago, brihvac said:

I just saw today they changed the formula and it is "new". My question is how long does it last on a daily driver that sits outside? Is it better than being coated with butter wax? I just Revieve Hand Polished, and Butter waxed mine, and my wifes, daily driver and was wondering if this would be a better option for better protection.

Hi Brian,

I use various products on the vehicles that I take care of and they range from garage queens, garage kept daily drivers to being outside 100% of the time.  The Buttery wax will last 2 weeks to a month for an outside vehicle, the amount of sun makes a difference.  Ceramic Paste Wax will last 8+ months for an 100% outside vehicle, I'm not sure how much beyond 8 months, simply because that is longest that it has been on a vehicle that I deal with.   I expect the Ceramic Spray Coating to last equal or longer than the Ceramic Paste Wax.

No matter which product(s) you use, you still need to do regular two bucket washes and maintenance, such as monthly Ceramic Boost or Wash + Coat.   The products are new enough that we don't know the true length and and under what conditions.  However, I can say that I am completely satisfied with the application, maintenance and looks of the Adam's products that I've used so far and for the family vehicles they will all get Ceramic Paste Wax or Ceramic Spray Coating.

2 hours ago, RayS said:

Hi Brian,

I use various products on the vehicles that I take care of and they range from garage queens, garage kept daily drivers to being outside 100% of the time.  The Buttery wax will last 2 weeks to a month for an outside vehicle, the amount of sun makes a difference.  Ceramic Paste Wax will last 8+ months for an 100% outside vehicle, I'm not sure how much beyond 8 months, simply because that is longest that it has been on a vehicle that I deal with.   I expect the Ceramic Spray Coating to last equal or longer than the Ceramic Paste Wax.

No matter which product(s) you use, you still need to do regular two bucket washes and maintenance, such as monthly Ceramic Boost or Wash + Coat.   The products are new enough that we don't know the true length and and under what conditions.  However, I can say that I am completely satisfied with the application, maintenance and looks of the Adam's products that I've used so far and for the family vehicles they will all get Ceramic Paste Wax or Ceramic Spray Coating.

2-4 weeks? Well that kinda sucks. According to the Adams description of the ceramic paste wax it says it last twice as long as carnuba wax. So that would only be 2 months or so. For $90 I would just spend another $30 more and do a real ceramic coat that last 2 years. They say the spray last 6-8 months. Do you machine polish your car every time before you apply ceramic wax or spray? From what I have read it is not good for your clear coat to keep knocking it down with abrasives.  Especially if your doing it every 8 months.

Edited by brihvac

8 hours ago, brihvac said:

2-4 weeks? Well that kinda sucks. According to the Adams description of the ceramic paste wax it says it last twice as long as carnuba wax. So that would only be 2 months or so. For $90 I would just spend another $30 more and do a real ceramic coat that last 2 years. They say the spray last 6-8 months. Do you machine polish your car every time before you apply ceramic wax or spray? From what I have read it is not good for your clear coat to keep knocking it down with abrasives.  Especially if your doing it every 8 months.

I do have used Ceramic Spray Coating without a polish. I always clay and decontaminate, but not always polish. And if you're interested, there are some polishes out there that are way less abrasive than typical compounds and polishes.

For example Adam's White Finishing Polish is less abrasive than the Orange Correcting Polish. But the Revive Hand Polish is even less abrasive than the White FInishing Polish. 

I see what you're saying about the ceramic past wax, but when the description of the Ceramic Paste Wax refers to Carnuba wax, they're more than likely referring to the Paste Waxes (Americana And Patriot). Those paste waxes typically last several months. Buttery Wax has a shorter longevity.

Edited by Yo-Yo Ma's Cousin

9 hours ago, brihvac said:

That is my question also, do you need to clay and polish before reapplying the spray ceramic coating to get it to bond?

2 hours ago, Black Bowtie said:

That is my question also, do you need to clay and polish before reapplying the spray ceramic coating to get it to bond?

No, just a clean surface.  Use Adam's Coating Prep or diluted IPA to wipe down the paint after a strip wash - use Adam's Strip Wash or add 2-3 oz of APC the wash solution.     

The clay will remove surface contaminates (do the 'baggie' test to determine if claying is needed).  Polishing will remove swirls, etc. from the paint, and allow it to looks its best under the coating.

17 hours ago, brihvac said:

There are many different Carnuba waxes available with different objects, timeframes and costs, so it is important to compare all the products.

Buttery Wax is the least expensive, has excellent results and smells great.  2-4 weeks on a 100% outside vehicle, a couple months on a garaged vehicle

Americana is the next step up, I've had excellent results for 2-4 months on a 100% outside vehicle and 6+ months on a garaged vehicle.

Patriot is a specialty wax, it is really designed for show cars and the only place that I have used it.  I have no idea on the longevity, but that isn't the purpose of the wax either.

Spray Wax, looks great, easy to use, smells great, last 3-5 months on a 100% outside vehicle.

Ceramic Paste Wax 8+ months on a 100% outside vehicle , again I don't know how much longer it will last, but I'm sure I'll find out since it still looks great and beads crazy amounts.

16 hours ago, brihvac said:

How about the clay mitt? I would rather use that

Clay bar alternatives (mitts, sponges, etc.) are usually more aggressive than clay, and could mar the paint requiring correction.  The polishing step could remove the coating.