Customer Service 866.965.0400

Graphene Ceramic Coating | FAQ's | Discussion

Dan@Adams

Question

Adam's Graphene Ceramic Coating | Durable Long-Lasting Multi-Surface Protection
Published 7/27/2020

ZTC6Bjo.jpg

With the inclusion of Graphene, Adam’s UV Ceramic Coating has evolved! Compared to the original Ceramic Coating, the Graphene variant has improved characteristics. This is our longest lasting coating yet, lasting 7+ years in lab tested wash cycles. Graphene allows for the coating to be less prone to water spotting, in part due to a lower sliding angle for water droplets, with water evacuating at angles less than 10-15°.

oauQH7U.jpg

It also provides a higher contact angle for water droplets, averaging 110-118° - what this means is that the greater the contact angle, the more the water will form into droplets in a tighter circle, which makes the droplets have less chance of being taken up quickly and drying onto the surface, and greater chance of them rolling off of the surface.

Adam's Graphene Ceramic Coating has a hardness greater than 9H, so this means it has a higher resistance to scratching during the wash process and also better resistance to staining from bug guts, tree sap, and bird droppings. It provides excellent depth and clarity to all surfaces - including paint, glass, headlights, chrome, plastic trim, wheels, vinyl graphics, and bed liners. Just like our previous coatings, the Graphene Ceramic Coating gives incredible depth, color, and clarity to paint, and utilized our Patent Pending, UV Tracing Technology™.

TZS76p5.jpg

FAQ's

1. “Can I layer this product to make it last longer?”

Yes, of course, but that doesn’t mean layering this product 10 times will make it 10x longer - any application after 2 rounds will render the product redundant and still provide the same hydrophobic effects. 

2. “What is Ceramic Glow Technology?”

Ceramic Glow Technology™ is Adam’s Polishes Patent-Pending chemistry. It’s a crystalline form of an optical brightener that absorbs energy and emits light as it relaxes back down to a lower energy state.

3. “What’s the difference between fluorescence and phosphorescence?”

Length of time that the light is emitted. Said another way, the amount of time it takes for the electrons to relax and quit releasing energy in the form of photons or light.

4. “Does the UV Coating act as a durability indicator?”

No, it doesn’t. It’s currently offered as an application aid and utility for visualizing the coating. Lack of glow does not indicate lack of coating.

5. “Why does the product glow more intensely on some substrates than others?”

Differences in porosity and the ability of the coating to penetrate and bond to different surfaces will cause different levels of film thickness. The thicker the film, the more intense the glow typically.

6. “Will my car glow blue in the sunlight?”

No, because this coating is completely invisible and clear under standard light, the coating will only glow a bluish hue under the 395 NM UV light.

7. “Will this coating glow after being “charged” with the UV light?”

No, since this coating is fluorescent and not phosphorescent, it will excite and glow only when the light is shone. Contrarily, “glow in the dark” items have a yellow/greenish hue from phosphorescent dyes-- these slowly become excited under any light and will diminish over the course of a few minutes. 

8. “What can I use this on? Can I just use this on the whole car?”

Adam’s Graphene Ceramic Coating™ provides protection to an extreme range of areas on your vehicle including Painted surfaces, Trim, Bed Rail Covers, Plastic Engine Bay Components, Headlights, Bed liners, - all are safe to be protected.

9. “What happens if I forget a spot or end up with a high-spot?”

If you forget a spot and you catch it in time (10-20 minutes after removal) simply reapply to that area and wipe off after 1-2 minutes. Reactivating the product will allow for easier removal. If left on for longer, we recommend Brilliant Glaze and a microfiber applicator, or machine polishing with Polish to fully remove the imperfection. 

How To Video:

Instructions for Paint & Glass:

1. Prepare your painted surface or glass by using the supplied 4oz bottle of Adam’s Surface Prep and Surface Prep towel to clean and degrease the surface of any existing protection or residual films. For optimal results, users must Wash, Clay/Decontaminate, and Polish their paint prior to application.
  2. Open the coating bottle and begin by dispensing numerous drops of the liquid onto the supplied Micro Silk applicator to sufficiently wet it. Work the product into the surface, ensuring full coverage over the desired area, using cross hatching motions and overlapping your previous pass by 25-50%. During your time between passes, utilize Adam’s UV Flashlight for inspections. Take note of between the body lines, bumper areas, mirror caps, and commonly missed areas on your vehicle. To ensure a thorough application, the light should shine and reveal an even and consistent bluish hue of light. If you notice streaking in the surfaces, level out with additional product and the used Micro Silk applicator. 
  3. Once the recently applied product begins to characteristically flash and sweat into beads, begin wiping the coating off, applying minimal pressure to the towel in the process. Wipe down in a similar cross hatch pattern as applied, switching/flipping the towel periodically to use a new face to fully level the coating.
  4. Once fully leveled, allow the coating to fully cure for 24 hours, free from water, elements, or weathering.

Instructions for Plastic Trim & Headlights:

1. Prepare your plastic trim or headlights by using the supplied 4oz bottle of Adam’s Surface Prep and Edgeless Utility Towel to clean and degrease the surface of any existing protection or residual films. For heavily contaminated plastic trim or headlights, we recommend a deep cleanse with Tire & Rubber Cleaner and an Edgeless Utility Towel.
  2. Open the coating bottle and begin by dispensing numerous drops of the liquid onto the supplied Micro Silk applicator to sufficiently wet it. Work the product into the surface, ensuring full coverage over the desired area, using cross hatching motions and overlapping your previous pass by 25-50%. Since the product is being applied to a porous surface, you will not see a rainbow/ flashing effect - the immediate color change of the plastic or trim will reveal where the product has been applied. However, you are also able to utilize the Adam’s UV Flashlight for inspections where desired.
  3. Once the recently applied product has penetrated, begin leveling the coating, applying minimal pressure to the towel in the process. Wipe down in a similar cross hatch pattern as applied, switching/flipping the towel periodically to use a new face to fully level the coating.
  4. Once fully leveled, allow the coating to fully cure for 24 hours, free from water, elements, or weathering.

Instructions for Wheels:

1. Prepare your wheels by using the supplied 4oz bottle of Adam’s Surface Prep and Edgeless Utility Towel to clean and degrease the surface of any existing protection or residual films. For heavily contaminated wheels, we recommend a thorough cleaning with Adam’s Wheel Cleaner, or Eco Wheel Cleaner. In addition, claying with a Fine Grade Clay Bar and Detail Spray may also be necessary to initially remove stubborn contamination from the barrels and/or wheel faces.
  2. Open the coating bottle and begin by dispensing numerous drops of the liquid onto the supplied Micro Silk applicator to sufficiently wet it. Work the product into the surface, ensuring full coverage over the desired area, using cross hatching motions and overlapping your previous pass by 25-50%. During your time between passes, utilize Adam’s UV Flashlight for inspections. Take note of behind the spokes, in between the crevices of the wheel design, around the valve stem and center cap areas. To ensure a thorough application, the light should shine and reveal an even and consistent bluish hue of light. If you notice streaking in the surfaces, level out with additional product and the used Micro Silk applicator. 
  3. Once the recently applied product begins to characteristically flash and sweat into beads, begin wiping the coating off, applying minimal pressure to the towel in the process. Wipe down in a similar cross hatch pattern as applied, switching/flipping the towel periodically to use a new face to fully level the coating.

Common Sense Warning:

Adam’s Graphene Ceramic Coating™ is a semi-permanent ceramic coating. If installed incorrectly, polishing may be needed. Avoid contact with eyes, nose, and ingestion – always keep away from children! If contact does occur, rinse thoroughly with water and monitor for irritation. If irritation persists, contact a physician. 

Below is an excellent write-up from our chemist explaining the differences of the new Graphene Ceramic Coating compared to traditional ceramic coatings:

22 minutes ago, BrownSunshine said:

Final question, how long would you estimate that 1/2 a bottle to last now that it’s been open? My old beater isn’t exactly Graphene worthy, I planned on using it on my motorcycle but with the very small surface area of coat-able surfaces, I doubt I’ll use much. I plan on purchasing a new truck sometime within the next 6-12 months and didn’t know if the Graphene would last until then. If not, I may coat my fathers truck to not waste it. 

Adam's says 30 days. That said, if it hasn't gelled at the bottom and is as liquid/runny as before when you're ready, it's probably ok.

And ask as many questions as you want! We're all here to learn together.

1 hour ago, Junior said:

So once the coating bottle has been opened it’s only good for thirty days? I’d never heard that before but if that’s true I’m going to need to use mine this week.

That's what I've been told, yes. But again, there may be times when it's longer.

Hi Jamey,

I have had bottles open for upwards of 60 days that have been kept in a cool location with the cap on it.   If you put the cap on it, haven't opened it since you capped it and it has been kept out of the heat and cold, it should be ok.  Unfortunately, the conditions under which it was stored, how long it was left open originally and the weather conditions when it was open can all affect the longevity.    I have not had any bottles that did not get used within 60 days and all my chemicals are kept in a climate controller area.

As for the bike, I would recommend doing the bike on the same day you are doing another vehicle.  It took me almost 2 hours to do my bike with all the small parts, yet it didn't use enough product to even notice I used any.  

On 1/4/2021 at 12:18 PM, EcoB00ST said:

I have a severe blue/purple staining on one section of painted plastic grille on my truck from the graphene ceramic coating.  Did I do something wrong?  What's the best way to correct this?  

20210104_113555.jpg

First, welcome! Post an intro so we can all properly welcome you.

Those are called high spots, where the residue wasn't fully removed. Pretty common, not necessarily a "mistake." Depending on how long it's been since you coated, you can try several things, in increasing order of aggressiveness so start with least aggressive:

- Reapply coating to the area to reactivate the coating, then immediately wipe away with a plush towel

- Apply Brilliant Glaze, then wipe away

- Apply a few drops of white Polish to a plush microfiber towel like a Borderless Grey, laid completely flat, and use your whole hand to lightly and evenly rub the high spots away

- Machine polish with white pad and Polish (wipe residue with Surface Prep, reapply coating)

- Machine polish with blue foam and Compound (wipe residue with Surface Prep, reapply coating)

Let us know what works!

18 hours ago, Vadim said:

Hello. What is the shelf life of Graphene Ceramic Spray Coating after the first use?

Most Adam's products have a 1-2 year shelf life, storing them in a temperature controlled environment is recommended

9 hours ago, falcaineer said:

Adam's states 30 days. No guarantees, but you might be able to see it last longer as long as it doesn't gel or coagulate at the bottom of the bottle, keep it in a temperature controlled environment.

Didn't this pertain to the actual coating and not the spray coating?  I have had the graphene spray coating since 10/2020 and nothing has happened to it.  I just place the original top back on it after each use.  Seems to be performing quite well.  

20 minutes ago, The Guz said:

Didn't this pertain to the actual coating and not the spray coating?  I have had the graphene spray coating since 10/2020 and nothing has happened to it.  I just place the original top back on it after each use.  Seems to be performing quite well.  

Thanks, you're absolutely right!  I misread the post.

I'd like to hear some results of the Graphine Spray Coating based on looks alone.  Seems like durability and the like dominate the discussion on these coatings.  I wanna know about looks and nothing else; shine, depth, all that good stuff compared to the previous generation spray coatings. 

1 hour ago, galaxy said:

I'd like to hear some results of the Graphine Spray Coating based on looks alone.  Seems like durability and the like dominate the discussion on these coatings.  I wanna know about looks and nothing else; shine, depth, all that good stuff compared to the previous generation spray coatings. 

Jon,

I have found with waxes and coatings the shine depth, etc (looks) seem to come from the prep work as much as anything else,  The coatings do seem to be more "shiny" but as far as depth is concerned, I seem to see more of a difference when the prep (polish, etc) is done well.  For example, a friend of mine put another brand spray ceramic coating on his car last year (he did not take my advice) and did not do anything but clay his car before applying the spray coating.  He couldn't understand why my car had a deeper shine than his (I clayed, polished, etc.) since I had only used Americana. Just MHO

3 hours ago, galaxy said:

Agreed 100% with @kaj41354 . And I'm not surprised his friend felt that way.

As I've said on here many times, and I also teach, true shine comes from proper paint correction, the rest is enhancement and protection. 

In comparing apples to apples, on a polished surface, Graphene Ceramic Spray Coating, like the traditional/small bottle, seems to my eyes to add more shine than the original, non-Graphene versions. But I don't have a glossmeter to test it.

Bottom line, put in the time to do the proper prep work in and you'll see the best, longest lasting results. Short change it and don't be surprised with less than optimal outcomes.

I agree with Chris on the point that the prep of the vehicle is what makes the vehicle look good.  As for the enhancement that is added by the coatings, I do believe the Graphene adds a bit more shine and depth. This is my feeling since I have not have done the same vehicle with both, but that will be coming up.  My Truck and the wife's Terrain both have the original Ceramic Spray Coating and will be converted to the Graphene Spray Coating in the near future.  

Once I have them done, I'll be able to compare the looks and have pictures that can be posted side by side.  Since those vehicles have been under my care since the day they came off the dealers lot, I know exactly what has been done with them and how.

Okay.  I did some searches on YouTube and found quite a few videos where people did some test on different Spray coatings.  Some Ceramic, some Graphene, etc., etc., etc.  The have a little measuring tool that determine "Glossiness" in GU (Gloss Units?) and the differences were (IMO) minimal.  They were all in the 92-96 range.  I did notice that the difference in several tests between the Adam's CSC and Adam's GCSC was about 1.5 - 2 GU.  The tester was all impressed by that and stated that he could see the difference.  Admittedly, I am 66 years of age and my eyes aren't what they used to be but, in the video, I saw little difference.  I did see a little difference on my Morris ( the Dk. Green Woody in my sig.) when I experimented with Ceramic boost.  Not so much in depth but in gloss.  But again that could be my old eyes.  IMHO, will the Graphene Coating give you a Rich, Deep, Glossy Shine!  YES! BUT, it will be at it's best if you spend the time doing the prep work that is necessary to get as close to perfect as possible. Will there be a difference between Americana/Patriot/CSC/GCSC/GCC? YES...and if experience means anything I know that when something new comes out, I will try it and at least believe that it looks better that last years latest and greatest.

Also, it makes a difference as to what the paint is on the car and your level of satisfaction.  For example, My Morris is a Clearcoat and it looks deeper and Glossier that most.  The MGB is a recent repaint but is a single stage.  It has the Gloss but the depth is not what I get on any car with Clearcoat (IMO) the 52 Chevy is original paint and the best I get with it is with PS and HGG - it is neither Glossy or Deep but it is 68 y.o. paint and I am happy with it.  

Edited by kaj41354
added the also section

12 hours ago, dmiller440 said:

Is there any benefit of polishing ceramic? If so, what products should I use?

It could help remove some surface swirls, but could also remove the coating altogether. What's your reason for wanting to polish it?

I've got the Graphene Coating applied to a 3 stage paint corrected car, thing was a mess when we bought it.  It looks great  now and would like to keep it that way.  I am not new to car detailing, nor using ceramics, but I do have some questions on maintaining the Adam's Graphene Coating.

I have bought and haven't used yet the new Adam's Graphene Shampoo, as I saw one of Adam's videos mention it can bring back the coating's properties back.  My question here is this, can this be the only thing I need to do to keep the coating fresh or should I use a topper such as the Adam's Graphene Spray?  I am pretty sure I am going to need to top it, but was curious if the shampoo will work by itself.

My second question ties into the 1st more or less.  I am a huge fan of Adam's CS3, and will more than likely use it occasionally on the coating that I just applied.  So the question is can CS3 work as a topper, or will Adam's Graphene Spray work better?  Like I said I will still use the CS3, but am more curious if that alone will work or not keeping the coating working like normal.

Thanks for any light that can be shed here!  

4 hours ago, Jfire72 said:

I've got the Graphene Coating applied to a 3 stage paint corrected car, thing was a mess when we bought it.  It looks great  now and would like to keep it that way.  I am not new to car detailing, nor using ceramics, but I do have some questions on maintaining the Adam's Graphene Coating.

I have bought and haven't used yet the new Adam's Graphene Shampoo, as I saw one of Adam's videos mention it can bring back the coating's properties back.  My question here is this, can this be the only thing I need to do to keep the coating fresh or should I use a topper such as the Adam's Graphene Spray?  I am pretty sure I am going to need to top it, but was curious if the shampoo will work by itself.

My second question ties into the 1st more or less.  I am a huge fan of Adam's CS3, and will more than likely use it occasionally on the coating that I just applied.  So the question is can CS3 work as a topper, or will Adam's Graphene Spray work better?  Like I said I will still use the CS3, but am more curious if that alone will work or not keeping the coating working like normal.

First, welcome! Be sure to go post an intro on the new member forum so we can properly welcome you.

My recommendation would be to use the Graphene Detail Spray as a drying aid during the wash process, or weekly, and the Shampoo whenever you'd like or one of the others. The GDS is a great product! You can interchange CS3 and the GDS depending on what you want to do, like clean, just add some shine, both. Since the Graphene Ceramic coating is a ceramic coating at its core, you can use any of the silica infused products with it and they'll work just fine.

15 hours ago, Jfire72 said:

Check this thread out.  It covers maintenance.  

I installed the Graphene Ceramic coating on my truck this past weekend.  It's a Granite Crystal Metallic Ram 1500.  Looks great, but did notice a couple darker spots.  I have been told those are higher spots where the coating wasnt fully leveled.  I've also been told to remedy this to use the Brilliant Glaze to level it out.  

My question is, I dont have time to do that right now, and not sure when in the near future.  If i let the coating go for an amount of time, will the Brilliant Glaze still work to level and blend those spots out?

Thanks for your help!

3 hours ago, Cervelo15 said:

I installed the Graphene Ceramic coating on my truck this past weekend.  It's a Granite Crystal Metallic Ram 1500.  Looks great, but did notice a couple darker spots.  I have been told those are higher spots where the coating wasnt fully leveled.  I've also been told to remedy this to use the Brilliant Glaze to level it out.  

My question is, I dont have time to do that right now, and not sure when in the near future.  If i let the coating go for an amount of time, will the Brilliant Glaze still work to level and blend those spots out?

Thanks for your help!

You will more than likely need to abrade it off with polishing as the coating will have cured too long.