Customer Service 866.965.0400

1 week old C8 Corvette can i machine polish and Graphene coat now

Mhousto20

Question

So my artic white C8 finally arrived.  Really no major paint issues.  I want to machine polish and Graphene coat the car.  But wanted to make sure since the paint is 7 days old that it is ok to complete?  I live in Dallas the temperature is low 60s. Thanks  

7 answers to this question

Hey! Welcome to the forums. The rule of thumb for ceramic coating new paint is to wait for 90 days. The pant needs time to cure and offgas before anything is applied to it. Ive had some good experiences and bad experiences, LOL. I worked on a truck that had a panel repainted 15 days before and things went south with it. A few days later it turned cloudy and looked terrible. I've also had new vehicles come from the dealership and coated within 45 days and things turned out great. If I was in your shoes, I would give it a few weeks to let the paint continue to cure, just use proper wash methods until you get it coated and you should be great! Congrats on the new C8! Ive had a couple of them come through the dealership I work with and they are one of my favorite vehicles.

While Gage makes a good point about waiting, I've found that's true for repaint jobs, not new cars. Generally cars off the factory line are good to go right away. Body shops take various approaches to making or allowing the paint to cure, and timelines can vary up to months so it's always best to ask the shop. Factories, on the other hand, bake the paint with high end processes and they're good to work on immediately.

Counterpoints welcome, I can always learn more!

I believe Corvettes are  prepainted off site before delivery of the exterior body parts to Bowling Green. The prepainted panels are then installed on the assembly line. Thus they may have been been painted well before. This is true for most cars. You may want to check with G M   Go to Onstar or Chevrolet Owner web site.

Enjoy our new ride !!