Customer Service 866.965.0400

1962 Corvette, Under Construction (Forever?)

Adam

Thanks to each of you who posted photos of your vehicles here! I'm honored to be a little part of your shine, and your vehicles look outstanding.

We have a car under construction, and thought that I'd post a few photos.

It's my Dad's 1962 Corvette, and I've washed and detailed it since I was young.

So, this car was the base model, 250bhp, stipped down all the way with a 4-speed. We drove the car many miles before taking it apart in May of 2005 to restore it.

Each time a part came off, we discovered more body work, bondo, fiberglass patching, and then realized there was a non-matching #'s motor, trans, and the color had been changed from Ermine White to Roman Red!

I was heart broken, and believed for all these years, I'd been caring for an original car, and original paint even, which aged just like a survivor, nice, even cracks, fading, etc.

Well, after realizing that the car didn't have a chance at any kind of pedigree, it was decided to make the car something nice to drive instead.

Now, it's going to ride on a C4-based chassis from our friends at www.CorvetteCorrection.com, with the A/C from Vintage Air, and the crate motor is now mounted up with a 6-speed. It's a 2008 LS3, which should get this little car down the highway nicely!

I'll keep the progress posted, if there is interest by my friends here. Tonight, the color sanding is just about finished, and only the hood remains.

Stay tuned, and the very ambitious goal: Take my Sweetheart for a ride this Valentines Day!

Edited by Adam

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Richie Carbone

As long as you don't tell him I'm taking the LS3. :lolsmack:

I hope he has some wider rims and tires on order, those bycycle wheels won't cut it.

It'll be a screamer when it's finished. :2thumbs:

Edited by Richie Carbone

Whatever happens don't tell Adam that the last time I was in the warehouse I accidently staked the sides of it with the fork lift...... keep it a secret!
Yeah it will never amount to anything now. SOoooo I could save you alot of frustration and take it off your hands:lol:

Adam:

Brings back memories, my Dad had a 61 Vette. White, base motor, 3 speed. He use to take my best friend and me to the slot car racing track in it. We thought we were really big shots pulling into the parking lot in front of all our friends. Over the years he 'Hot Roded' it by puting a built up 350 c.i. and a 4-speed in it. He sold it when I was 16, (he never did let me drive it), for $1,500. That was a few years before they sky rocketed in value.

The guy that bought it was later killed in a car wreck,(not in the Vette). His brother ended up with the car and refused to sell it even though it was sitting on blocks and rotting away.

Years and years later my Dad got a call from someone who had the car and was looking for the orginal motor. It was long gone by then.

Back in those early days I never would have dreamed I'd ever own a Corvette...... I've got a 69 BB Convertable and a 01 ZO6 and my wife drives a 95 coupe.

I think you're doing the right thing by making a 'driver' out of your car and not some museum piece. Get er done... and see some pictures.

That's a great story Adam. Hope your dad is still around and that you'll get to take him for a ride in it once it's done. Keep us posted.

Absolutely Rich! In fact, the car is going to live at my Dad's house in Carlsbad, CA, in North San Diego for much of the year. The goal: Make a road trip, one way, once a year, and then fly home. He and his wife will take a nice trip through the mountains to Colorado in the Spring.

My wife and I hope to jump in for a quick trip back in July, and the car will be a fun car to make the trip, hopefully twice a year for many years to come!

My Dad is my best friend, was the Best Man in my wedding, and is also my mentor. Sharing a car that needs to be driven often should be a great plan!

Here's my Pop, Dr. Pitale!

Adam:

Brings back memories, my Dad had a 61 Vette. White, base motor, 3 speed. He use to take my best friend and me to the slot car racing track in it. We thought we were really big shots pulling into the parking lot in front of all our friends. Over the years he 'Hot Roded' it by puting a built up 350 c.i. and a 4-speed in it. He sold it when I was 16, (he never did let me drive it), for $1,500. That was a few years before they sky rocketed in value.

The guy that bought it was later killed in a car wreck,(not in the Vette). His brother ended up with the car and refused to sell it even though it was sitting on blocks and rotting away.

Years and years later my Dad got a call from someone who had the car and was looking for the orginal motor. It was long gone by then.

Back in those early days I never would have dreamed I'd ever own a Corvette...... I've got a 69 BB Convertable and a 01 ZO6 and my wife drives a 95 coupe.

I think you're doing the right thing by making a 'driver' out of your car and not some museum piece. Get er done... and see some pictures.

Wow, so you didn't end up with a Corvette, you ended up with three! That's fantastic, and aren't memories priceless? We hope to drive this car until the wheels fall off! (Unlikely, as we tried with the old original chassis, and the new one should hold up!)

Since you never got the chance to drive it, I'll gladly toss you the keys for a hotlap once this one is done. (Not quite, or even close to original, but it should satisfy the C1 experience, and then some!):D

Thanks Adam for the offer, now don't say that if you don't mean it. I get paid to travel all over the country and I might just end up at your door step.:hi: I know I'll be visiting your warehouse in California,as I do get out that way once in a while.

I wish my Dad was still around, he's been gone 3 years now, he was always buying/trying new car cleaning products. I'm sure he would have been as impressed with your line of products as I am.

Sounds like you and your dad have a very special relationship. It's great when fathers and sons share a hobby like cars. I'm the youngest of four sons, (18 years difference and the two oldest have both passed) but ever since I was a kid my dad and two oldest brothers always bought new cars every three years. So there were tons of cars (almost all Chevy's) in and out of the driveway through the years. And the five of us guys were always out there with the hood up and hands in our pockets checking out the motors. Became a family joke after a while. Unfortunately, my dad and brothers have been gone for quite a few years now, but I still have all those memories. Enjoy making memories with your dad (and the Corvette). :cheers:

Thanks Adam for the offer, now don't say that if you don't mean it. I get paid to travel all over the country and I might just end up at your door step.:hi: I know I'll be visiting your warehouse in California,as I do get out that way once in a while.

I wish my Dad was still around, he's been gone 3 years now, he was always buying/trying new car cleaning products. I'm sure he would have been as impressed with your line of products as I am.

Sorry to hear your Dad passed away. Don't even want to think about the day when mine passes. I'm thrilled to be able to call and talk to him every few days, and am sure to tell him, "I love you," in every conversation.

It may sound crazy, but every time I watch him put extra butter on his bread, or salt on his steak, I'm like, "Easy Dad, why so much?! Go easy!"

The offer is open to drive our Vette, and I hope it's soon that the day comes! Stay tuned to this thread and when it's done, give me a shout and we'll take a run!:2thumbs:

I have this feeling, somehow, somewhere, this will be a very shiny Vette. I heard Adam has some kind of inside line on car care products.... I think he knows someone or something like that. /sarcasm

I bet he knows a guy who knows a guy :lol: