Customer Service 866.965.0400

1962 Corvette, Under Construction (Forever?)

Adam

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Richie Carbone
Figures an Italian would make you an offer you can't refuse! :D

They don't call him the Godfather of Detailing for nuthin! :cool:

• 2 months later...

Progress! Here we have a car that has been sanded and buffed, the parts are back from plating, and it's going to be hopefully done by Father's Day, instead of St. Patrick's Day. :(

Still, progress is good, and my first Father's Day as a Dad will be spent hopefully on a cruise with my Dad in So Cal.:2thumbs:

LeMan! I love black. If it was up to me, it would be exactly the color combo of that car! Well, this was originally my Dad's car, and his input is important, extremely important!

He wanted a red Vette, so, it's a red Vette!! Some things transcend all, and Dad's wishes in this case are paramount my friend!:2thumbs:

LeMan! I love black. If it was up to me, it would be exactly the color combo of that car! Well, this was originally my Dad's car, and his input is important, extremely important!

He wanted a red Vette, so, it's a red Vette!! Some things transcend all, and Dad's wishes in this case are paramount my friend!:2thumbs:

I get that 100%! What a great Son you are!

See, at least Vette Girl likes the color! :) (Ferrari Red is the new shade, also known as 're-sale red!) Thanks Teresa!

Brian, LOVE the idea of putting a SuperCharger on this thing. Let's see how quick it is, and if we need one, I'll let you know. Heck, maybe the next time were in SO-CAL, you will have something with a blown LS-3 to test drive??:rockon:

Wow Adam, what a great story and a beautiful car!!!

I cannot wait to hear a story about the ride with your dad. I lost my father when I was 16, the day I got my Driver's license, so I never got a chance to enjoy a long road trip with my father.....Enjoy it :thumbsup:

......... I lost my father when I was 16, the day I got my Driver's license, so I never got a chance to enjoy a long road trip with my father.....Enjoy it :thumbsup:

That's terrible Bert, how old was he, and how did he die? I'm sure that has impacted you immensely, and if you don't care to talk about it, I completely understand.

My Dad is young, 64, and is my best friend. He eats too much bacon, butter, and mayo, and it drives me crazy! He's healthy and thin, but still, it's unnecessary to me.

The day he passes will be my worst day. I don't even want to think about it.

I'm absolutely going to take a big road trip with my pop in this car when finished. Much, much looking forward to it!

That's terrible Bert, how old was he, and how did he die? I'm sure that has impacted you immensely, and if you don't care to talk about it, I completely understand. . . . .

Adam, I just back home from being out of town. I was waiting to get home to type a response, I figured it would be easier to type on the home PC instead of my phone. I'm sorry in advance for being so long, but it is needed to tie the story together........

My dad had fathered me at the young age at of 55, he was 25 years older than my mom. My mom was divorced and my dad's first wife had passed away 3 years earlier. They met each other through a friend at work.

My dad and I were very close. We used to go fishing all the time. We would fish 2-3 times a month.(mostly saltwater). For my birthdays, starting when I was 7, he would take me out fishing and we would not go home till I got my age in fish( LOL), that was really fun when I became 10. I especially remember when turned 13 and we went fishing on the Skyway Bridge in St. Petersburg, we ended up fishing almost 10 hours, man I was tired after that(LOL), but I LOVED every minute of it!!!

My dad was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer in 1979, I was 10 at the time. The doctors told him that he only had about 6 months to live and that he needed to immediately start Chemotherapy/Radiation treatments. So the next day, my parents sat me down and explained to me what was about to happen over the next few months. My dad was going to be at the doctor's office quite a bit, that he would losing his hair, and he was going to be sick a lot. Needless to say, I was pretty upset, but my parents stayed strong and told me that it was going to be ok and that our faith in God would get us over this mountain. Well, my dad ended up living 4.5 years longer than what the doctors said, I guess he was pretty stubborn( He also had 3 goals, which I will address later) and he always said that the LORD would take him when HE was ready, not when some old doctor said (LOL)

My dad, when he was in VA, drove for a bus company and had logged over 2 million miles in his career with them. When he semi-retired, we moved to Fla. He then drove for a mobile home company pulling huge trailers/homes for a few years. My father loved to drive. In fact, that is where I get my love of the road from. He started to teach me to drive when I was 9, he would take the Ford LTD out to a field and let me get behind the wheel, I had to have the seat all the way up of course (LOL). I drive a semi now and have logged over 1.7 million miles myself. I love to drive, especially on my Harley!

I gave you all that info about driving to say this. My dad, after being diagnosed, set 3 goals for himself: 1) See me turn 16/get my License, 2) Drive on my own to school, & 3) See me graduate from HS.....He achieved 2 of them.

I turned 16 on Sunday November 4th, 1984. The DL office was closed on Monday the 5th, so I could not go and take my DL test until Tuesday the 6th. I got up that Tuesday morning soooo excited. I was going to get my license AND I was going to miss the first 2 periods of school!!! So after breakfast, my dad and I drove down get my License. The written test was really easy and the driving part was breeze, just like my dad said it was going to be. I then took him home and I drove off to school in my '67 Doge Dart that my parents had bought for me a year earlier. While I was driving to school, I felt like I was king of the World! After school, I even got to drive my GF home, man I was on cloud nine!

Well, then my world came crashing down......When I got home, my mom was making dinner and told me that my dad was not feeling well(which was the norm for him). She said that she was going next door to a neighbor's house to get something and that she would be right back. My dad called me into the living room and asked me to sit down. He then proceeded to lay down on the sofa and laid his head on my lap. He said he was not feeling well and that he was very tired. He then asked my how my day went. I told him that I had a great day and that I was so happy to finally be able to drive by myself. He said that he was happy for me, then told me that he loved me and that he was very proud. Once again he mentioned that he was tired.....Then he passed away in my arms

I will never forget that moment as long as I live!!!(I'm weeping as I type this), I screamed as loud as I could for my mom and some how she heard me. She came running home to find me holding him. That day and the weeks that followed are probably the hardest times ever in my life. If I did not have some good friends and God in my life, I don't know what I would have done.

Again, I'm sorry this was so long, but I'm glad I got to share this with you Adam(As well as the rest of you guys/gals)....Always remember to cherish everyday with your family and friends :2thumbs:

I never got a chance to take my dad on a trip, the only ride together was from the DL office to home, but those few miles will be with me forever and I know that he looks down on me now as I drive each day.

Edited by Adam
Reduced quote length

That's an incredible story Bert, and I'm writing through watery eyes now as well. That's great that he achieved way more life than the doctors predicted, and had a chance to see you drive.

Having your Dad pass away in your arms is something beyond comprehension. Not sure that I would ever be able to get that out of my every thought.

You and I are the same age Bert, and I always think of how lucky I am to have the relationship with my Dad. You have helped me to appreciate him even more with your story.

Amazing Bert, and life changing. Hat's off to you for sharing such an incredibly personal experience, and I'm honored that you felt comfortable enough to speak/write so openly here.

Thank you.

Adam:thumbsup:

That your father passed while you were holding him was an incredible gift from God. He passed knowing that you loved him and he had peace of mind knowing that you KNEW he loved you too. So many people die alone.....that's a real tragedy . Thanks for sharing your story.