Customer Service 866.965.0400

Brilliant Glaze then Paint Sealant

rseward

Question

Today I did a full paint correction on my wife’s new Highlander. Tomorrow, I’m going to apply PS, and was considering applying BG first.

My question is, will applying BG then PS shorten the life expectancy of the PS?

19 answers to this question

You're going to get like 50/50 on this.  I personally apply paint sealant first because it just makes sense to me that it will last longer when applied to bare paint.

Plenty of people say it works better to put bg down first and the sealant lasts fine.  Your best bet is to try it and see for yourself which process you prefer.  No sense arguing.

8 hours ago, rseward said:

Today I did a full paint correction on my wife’s new Highlander. Tomorrow, I’m going to apply PS, and was considering applying BG first.

@Beemer has it right that you will get 50/50 on which way to go.  I spent some time researching this very question could not get a clear answer so I decided to take two Red Chevy's and try each method.  Both vehicles had some minor flaws so it was as close to apples to apples as I could get.  I will also state that longevity is a benefit, it is not my primary goal, I want the best looking outcome and protection for a reasonable amount of time.  Of note, I do not know what the "reasonable amount of time" is yet, lets go with 6 months for those that have winters, so you can do a Spring and Fall detailing.

Both were easy to apply and I try to wash them every other week according to the weather, business travel, etc..  Sometimes it is a two bucket wash, sometimes it is waterless or detail spray.  Both have had BG put on for a special weekend for the extra pop.  This has been the routine for about 3 months so far and they are holding up great.

Vehicle #1 with BG under LPS sits outside 24/7, Vehicle #2, LPS under BG is kept in the garage at night, but gets about 10 times as many miles per week as Vehicle #1.   After doing both vehicles and knowing that they are still good at 3 months and look great, my preference is BG under LPS.  I suspect they will still look good at 6 months given my climate and routine, but I cannot tell you that is fact or what your climate and routine may do different this method.

The advantage to BG under LPS that I have found are:
1.  Slightly better shine, it isn't much and one could say it is just the paint.  Given they are both Chevy's and Red, I have to go with what I can see.

2.  Uniformity. When I look across the hood, room and sides everything looks very even and uniform

3.  BG hides minor imperfections and I see less minor imperfections on Vehicle #1 - see note 4.

4.  Ability to fix misses.  I'm not perfect when it comes to cleaning and I do miss items.  The BG gives a Pop and if I missed a waterspot or something, it will show up and you can fix it easily.  The same miss shows up with LPS, but how easy is it to quickly fix.  I didn't see my LPS misses until it was set, they are still there...

Once you have applied LPS, it is there and and anything under it will stay there until it is worn off or you do the work to remove it for that area and try again.  Having BG down first gives me the opportunity to see everything as at it will be when covered with LPS.  

Thanks for sharing your experience, that’s exactly what I was looking for.

I think I’ll try the PS over BG (since I got some BG in my MB), and see how it works out.

My plan is BG, PS, BW... and maintain with GG.

25 minutes ago, rseward said:

Thanks for sharing your experience, that’s exactly what I was looking for.

I think I’ll try the PS over BG (since I got some BG in my MB), and see how it works out.

My plan is BG, PS, BW... and maintain with GG.

Remember to grab before and after pictures and show your results.   The one thing you will get almost 100% consensus on this forum about is preparation.  The better the preparation the better the final results.   Good luck and enjoy the shine.

5 hours ago, RayS said:

Remember to grab before and after pictures and show your results.   The one thing you will get almost 100% consensus on this forum about is preparation.  The better the preparation the better the final results.   Good luck and enjoy the shine.

Well I didn’t get before photos, but here’s some after shots. I didn’t do a complete detail (wheels, engine, etc...), just the paint.

Although it looks incredible... it’s not a dramatic difference as it’s only a couple months old and didn’t have any notable swirl marks or scratches.

Here’s what I did:

Wash

Iron Remover

Clay

Correcting Polish

Finishing Polish

Coating Prep

Installed body side molding (seen in photos).

Brilliant Glaze

Paint Sealant

Buttery Wax

4C32B8F4-723E-411E-9CB2-2042FC8F7F22.jpeg

83ACC7C9-47BD-427F-AEEE-1FF08F5A3B03.jpeg

A83D1D7D-EBEF-4920-89EC-9E8A253CFD8A.jpeg

7F55B352-A035-4A0C-970F-AFE462D57759.jpeg

EE9ACEA0-1A5D-4ADC-8D2A-8A29C4C71FEB.jpeg

CB570C0D-B705-448F-A9DE-EDB5B294905F.jpeg

Edited by rseward

Im in the group pf Under PS as BG has filling properties that can help fill in those little voids and offer up a better overall finish. If its your daily "Beater" then I might just go straight Sealant and top it with whatever you want. 

4 minutes ago, pirahnah3 said:

Im in the group pf Under PS as BG has filling properties that can help fill in those little voids and offer up a better overall finish. If its your daily "Beater" then I might just go straight Sealant and top it with whatever you want. 

Ya... it’s a daily (all my cars are), and the plan was to go with just PS, but I got a BG in a MB, so I figured I use it.

On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 10:26 PM, rseward said:

I always apply BG first.

1 hour ago, Chris@Adams said:

I always apply BG first.

Chris, thanks for chiming in on this!  Being a new Adam’s Addict myself, I’m trying to learn a lifetime of tricks in short order.

I have a couple questions, why do the BG first? Does the PS adhere better to the BG? And or does the PS lock in the high gloss of the BG?  Which is more durable BG or PS, I’m assuming the PS??  Thank for your help!

1 hour ago, Iceman390D said:

Chris, thanks for chiming in on this!  Being a new Adam’s Addict myself, I’m trying to learn a lifetime of tricks in short order.

I have a couple questions, why do the BG first? Does the PS adhere better to the BG? And or does the PS lock in the high gloss of the BG?  Which is more durable BG or PS, I’m assuming the PS??  Thank for your help!

Since my name is Chris, too, I'll jump in to add my two cents!?

BG has filler properties for minor imperfections, and by adding it first will provide that benefit as well as added shine. PS bonds best to bare paint, but as you can see above and elsewhere on here, some prefer to add BG first anyway. Yes, by doing so, the PS essentially locks in that shine. PS is much more durable than the BG. We're talking months and months vs. a week or two, at best. 

Recommend you check out this article for a little more:

Basically, while I'm in the PS-first group, it seems to come down fo personal preference. Maybe you could try both ways and see which you prefer ...even side by side.

3 hours ago, falcaineer said:

Since my name is Chris, too, I'll jump in to add my two cents!?

BG has filler properties for minor imperfections, and by adding it first will provide that benefit as well as added shine. PS bonds best to bare paint, but as you can see above and elsewhere on here, some prefer to add BG first anyway. Yes, by doing so, the PS essentially locks in that shine. PS is much more durable than the BG. We're talking months and months vs. a week or two, at best. 

Recommend you check out this article for a little more:

Basically, while I'm in the PS-first group, it seems to come down fo personal preference. Maybe you could try both ways and see which you prefer ...even side by side.

The logic of layering discussed in this article is what made most since to me (“most durable product should always be used as the base”), but then I saw a video in which Adam mentions putting down BG then PS... so that’s why I asked the question about how it effects the longevity of the PS.

Anyway, I went with the BG then PS, and topped it off with BW, and I’m thrilled with how great it looks. Plan to use detail spray as drying agent with each maintenance wash, and GG about every 4-6 washes.

Maybe in the spring I’ll reverse it (PS then BG) and see if I notice a difference.

If you do a full paint correction, you wouldn’t need BG. BG is for a combination of shine and filling in any imperfections. If the paint is corrected, no fill ins needed. So you would do LPS, then do BG or wax as a topcoat for extra shine. 

I still ill don’t like the idea of having LPS over BG because I’ve always been taught the chemical which lasts longer goes on bottom and then you layer from there. LPS wouldn’t be adhering to the paint, it would be adhering to the BG, which isn’t design for longevity. 

3 hours ago, BHarris23 said:

If you do a full paint correction, you wouldn’t need BG. BG is for a combination of shine and filling in any imperfections. If the paint is corrected, no fill ins needed. So you would do LPS, then do BG or wax as a topcoat for extra shine. 

I still ill don’t like the idea of having LPS over BG because I’ve always been taught the chemical which lasts longer goes on bottom and then you layer from there. LPS wouldn’t be adhering to the paint, it would be adhering to the BG, which isn’t design for longevity. 

That’s exactly how I think about it as well. I was very surprised to hear that it’s been done the opposite way and BG being the base layer. Seems counterintuitive to me anyways...

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 4:26 PM, Iceman said:

BG has some fillers also by applying BG first it will last longer since you are putting the PS over top.

That being said after time if you like you can apply BG over your PS, it just won't last as long. However if you like you can lay down BG every weekend if you like because it won't build up like wax will. Hope this helps.

4 hours ago, Chris@Adams said:

BG has some fillers also by applying BG first it will last longer since you are putting the PS over top.

That being said after time if you like you can apply BG over your PS, it just won't last as long. However if you like you can lay down BG every weekend if you like because it won't build up like wax will. Hope this helps.

But wouldn’t the BG prevent the LPS from fully adhering to the surface? Because if you put the BG first, the LPS would sit on top and would come off faster and easier than if the LPS went directly on paint. 

4 hours ago, Chris@Adams said:

7 minutes ago, Chris@Adams said:

I haven’t noticed a problem, there are a bunch of us doing this process. 

That being said there is no right or wrong way, do as you please.

Chris, Thanks for the help! Like I said earlier, it just seems counterintuitive to me but as long as there is no decrease in the hardness/longevity of the PS then why not lock in the shine of BG

I’ll have to try it out!