Customer Service 866.965.0400

Car Shampoo Pressure Washer Safe?

Z71_Denali

Question

A LOT of talk about pressure washer foam guns recently lead me to search for anything on using the car shampoo through the actual pressure washer... search found nothing useful :(

well, is it safe to use Car Shampoo in the detergent bottle of a pressure washer? anybody do this regularly?

if so, should it be diluted down? 50/50? 75/25?

i believe anything in that detergent bottle actually goes through the pumps of the pressure washer. i'm not talking about using a foam gun on the end of the spray gun.

21 answers to this question

I used the shampoo in my electric pressure washer recently and it didn't work well.

Keep in mind, I do not have a foam applicator for my pressure washer so I just poured the shampoo (100% shampoo) in the soap dispenser, attached the "soap" nozzle and went to town.

There was no foam, just soapy water. What I expected, but tried just to confirm.

Home Depot sells a foam attachment for around $18. I haven't picked one up but from a previous thread on here, it looks/sounds like it works very well.

I used the shampoo in my electric pressure washer recently and it didn't work well.

Keep in mind, I do not have a foam applicator for my pressure washer so I just poured the shampoo (100% shampoo) in the soap dispenser, attached the "soap" nozzle and went to town.

There was no foam, just soapy water. What I expected, but tried just to confirm.

Home Depot sells a foam attachment for around $18. I haven't picked one up but from a previous thread on here, it looks/sounds like it works very well.

the end of that cheapo gun from HD won't fit on my karcher trigger. i already have the 2nd Gen Adam's foam gun, but i was thinking i might save a step between the 1st rinse and foaming by having it all in one. i didn't want to run it through and tear up my brand new pressure washer!

TG for brass quick-connects!!!!

I have used Adams Car Wash Shampoo in mine a lot of times, just dilute it first! It acts as a foam gun!

what dilution ratio have you used that could be a good starting point for me? my washer has an adjustable dial for how much soap gets dispensed, i figured i would start it that on full blast with a good dilution ratio :xfingers:

A LOT of talk about pressure washer foam guns recently lead me to search for anything on using the car shampoo through the actual pressure washer... search found nothing useful :(

well, is it safe to use Car Shampoo in the detergent bottle of a pressure washer? anybody do this regularly?

if so, should it be diluted down? 50/50? 75/25?

i believe anything in that detergent bottle actually goes through the pumps of the pressure washer. i'm not talking about using a foam gun on the end of the spray gun.

You can use car wash shampoo in pressure washer reservoirs, but the soap will be applied at low pressure, like a foam gun. This is where the soap is introduced AFTER the pump. If you want high pressure soap, like the coin operated deals, then you need a soap injection system, that applies the soap BEFORE the pump. Cheap models, like the one's homeowners buy, generaly don't have high pressure soap. You can buy the kits if that floats your boat.

You can use car wash shampoo in pressure washer reservoirs, but the soap will be applied at low pressure, like a foam gun. This is where the soap is introduced AFTER the pump. If you want high pressure soap, like the coin operated deals, then you need a soap injection system, that applies the soap BEFORE the pump. Cheap models, like the one's homeowners buy, generaly don't have high pressure soap. You can buy the kits if that floats your boat.

so your saying the soap dispenser on my washer introduces the soap to the water AFTER the pump? and that i shouldn't worry about the soap gumming up the electric pump?

so your saying the soap dispenser on my washer introduces the soap to the water AFTER the pump? and that i shouldn't worry about the soap gumming up the electric pump?

Ryan, I'm not going to be responsible for your pressure washer, I don't even know what type you have bro. They have a variety of different ways they can introduce soap into your stream. Just look at your pressure washer and follow the lines, it's pretty simple. The hose is on the inlet, and your wand is on the outlet. Mine has clear tubing that runs from the tanks and go to a nipple fitting on the outlet side of the pump. When the soap fitting is attached, it creates a vacumm and sucks the soap out of the tanks, and delivers the soap at low pressure.

Good reference site for you to read.

Pressure Washers, Electric Power Washers

alright...

here is the detergent bottle:

0a7af1b4.jpg

the clear tube goes between the main body of the washer and to the front where there is an adjustable dial:

1d92510f.jpg

then, from the dial there is another clear tubing that leads to a nipple above the main body of the washer:

71829b23.jpg

i'm going to email karcher and ask them if the soap gets pulled before or after the pump because its not in the manual. but looking at it now, it appears like it most likely goes in the high pressure side of the machine.

i man'd up and tried it out last night, washing my wife's SRX. what a complete waste of time and product sending it through the pressure washer! no foam action and the mix setting on the adjustable lance had no pressure to it! i tried adjusting it for more pressure but then no soap was dispensed!

the ol' faithful two bucket wash was back to work pretty quick!!!!

Ryan,

Most of the higher end Karcher electrics bypass the pump for dispensing chemicals. Looks like you have a X series. If you didn't know Karcher makes small foam cannon that works OK. Around $20 from their store and also available at most of the larger online pressure washer parts places. One better would be to replace the lance with the $20.00 Power Care one available at Home Depot and Lowe's. It comes with a Karcher adapter. This would enable you to use anything that uses a 1/4 QD including the $18 green one from Home Depot, works OK especially for only $18 or the MTM one that most sell under different brand names at $65.00

I have used it the Only once.Do not use washing up liquid as it can remove wax and leave swirl marks.f you are not careful, you can do damage to your vehicle.For a full wash you’ll need some extra time and equipment but the result will be a car which looks as good as new.

i man'd up and tried it out last night, washing my wife's SRX. what a complete waste of time and product sending it through the pressure washer! no foam action and the mix setting on the adjustable lance had no pressure to it! i tried adjusting it for more pressure but then no soap was dispensed!

Thank you. Now hopefully, no one else will have to go down this road only to end up just as you did. Washing a car with a power washer will not get the car completely clean, I don't care who's product you use. Nothing get's your car properly clean like a proper 2-bucket wash. Good to see that you appreciate that. yesnod.gif

Thank you. Now hopefully, no one else will have to go down this road only to end up just as you did. Washing a car with a power washer will not get the car completely clean, I don't care who's product you use. Nothing get's your car properly clean like a proper 2-bucket wash. Good to see that you appreciate that. yesnod.gif

:iagree::iagree:10000%. I use a foam cannon all the time, if I just do a pass with that, the car is still dirty until I use the wash pads.

Not a big surprise here. The detergent tank on a pressure washer is intended to dilute a cleaner, but not to foam it.

For foam you need 3 factors -

• water
  • foaming chemical
  • AIR
The detergent tank doesn't introduce part 3 of that equation. A foam cannon attached to a pressure washet trigger does, and thats where you get the thick foaming action.

I'm going to resurrect this one more time.

because I recently just purchased this.

http://smile.amazon.com/Karcher-Dispensor-Accessory-Electric-Pressure/dp/B003GBCM1A?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

I haven't tried it yet as I just painted my rock sliders and now of course it's raining cats and dogs, but I will try it tomorrow.  I'll post some photos and give an update.  

I'd really like a gas powered true washer but I already have this electric one plus actually a second one someone gave me so until I find some extra cash I don't have the $300 to buy a real one.

Ok well I used the attachment to wash my wife's C class today.   Not a large car by any means, but it took 2 1/2 of those little containers of car shampoo to soap it all up.  I did not dilute it at all as the container is quite small and I wanted to see how it worked with just the shampoo.   I might try diluting it a bit next time but doing so might not give enough suds.

Overall though it does give the desired result, however I'm still going to purchase a real power washer when I have the money.  Not just for the cars but I also clean the sidewalks twice a year as well and it will make that much easier too.