Customer Service 866.965.0400

What do you do Before Putting your Car Away?

DTrem13

Question

Hello all. Quick question. And I'm sure this will be useful to others as well.

How do you all prepare your paint for winter storage? I have a friend who wants their car to have a proper wash and wax before she goes into hibernation for the winter. Any advice will help out. Thanks!

18 answers to this question

It'll be stored in a garage, he's not sure about a cover yet.

I'm thinking a solid 2 bucket wash of course. Clean the wheels and undercarriage too. But I shouldn't worry about Brilliant Glaze, VRT, or anything fancy like that right since it's just going to be stored right after? And would Americana Wax hold up the whole winter or should I use Quick Sealant?

It'll be stored in a garage, he's not sure about a cover yet.

I'm thinking a solid 2 bucket wash of course. Clean the wheels and undercarriage too. But I shouldn't worry about Brilliant Glaze, VRT, or anything fancy like that right since it's just going to be stored right after? And would Americana Wax hold up the whole winter or should I use Quick Sealant?

Either Americana or QS would be a great choice!

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2

Mine is stored in a garage every winter. I wash and wax her, hand apply Leather Conditioner all over the interior, add Stabil to the FULL gas tank, put down a rubber floor, then put the car up on tire cradles, cover her with a microfiber/fleece cover, then cover that with a heavy winter cover, add the battery tender, give her a kiss and say goodnight. :2thumbs:

It's going to be hard to do this year!! Only have 1000 miles on this one! I wanna DRIVE!!:(

Edited by Rich

I first fill the tank and add some Stabil.

Give it a wash and wax . give it a coat of quick sealant.

Wax the rims for some added protection.

I condition the interior. I also stuff rags in my exhaust tips and intake just in case of mice.

Battery tender ..Cover it with a warm blanket and send her into hibernation.

Mine is stored in a garage every winter. I wash and wax her, hand apply Leather Conditioner all over the interior, add Stabil to the FULL gas tank, put down a rubber floor, then put the car up on tire cradles, cover her with a microfiber/fleece cover, then cover that with a heavy winter cover, add the battery tender, give her a kiss and say goodnight. :2thumbs:

It's going to be hard to do this year!! Only have 1000 miles on this one! I wanna DRIVE!!:(

Does Darlene know you LOVE the New Vette this much? :jester:

I do a complete detail on my Vette- my husband's doesn't get the full detail. He is lazy. :lol:

Ours are not put away. It is suppose to be around 80* here today. :rockon:

I put Dill Weed in my car to keep any mice out but I also add a few traps-even under the hood. I have seen other cars destroyed by mice in the cold season and I don't even want to take a chance with that.

I put an old quilt blanket over mine so nothing touches my paint. I also add the battery tender like Rich.

We start our Vettes at least once a month in the winter.

I love the fact that our Vettes are parked right outside my attached garage door. I love standing in the doorway and just gazing at them. :2thumbs:

Admit it, Rich, you read her a story and bring her a glass of warm milk, don't you? Then after you turn out the garage light, you peek back in every few minutes to make sure she's OK. :hi:

I do about the same as others here. Polish/wax the outside, remove the wheels to polish and do a full detail on the interior. Oil change, battery tender, carpet squares under the tires and cover her up. I usually start it and get the oil up to 180 every 6 weeks or so.