Customer Service 866.965.0400

New 2014 Chevy SS

JHL88

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/06/04/2014-chevrolet-ss-priced-from-44-470-w-poll/

I have to say i am disappointed.  I was hoping it would be in the $30k range and not very customizable either.  I wish it was packing at least an LS7 or the new LT1 and i'd rather have a G8 GXP or a SRT8 Charger.  The looks are lacking IMO not very aggressive

This is basically what the second-gen G8 would have looked like, save for the Hyundai-inspired nose. I think it looks too plain, and am still on the fence about the "alien eyes" tail lights - in some shots they look mean, and in others they look stupid.

The G8 GXP retailed four years ago for almost five grand less...had the same amount of power......and came with a manual transmission.

Hopefully some place will make custom Pontiac-styled clips like they did with turning the new Camaro into a Firebird.

My name is Mark and Im a hater ..LOL

I seen it at the auto show and I was so disappointed ..  All the hype for this I said.

The only thing that gets my attention is the drive-train and the interior ..other than that its lacking in excitement and it doesn't look at all aggressive to me.  Actually it looks like a Malibu .. that is what they should've called it.

The ugly bow tie in the front needs to go. Why in the world does Chevy put these ugly Gold bow ties on their cars .. be creative for a change ..like maybe brushed aluminum one for a sports sedan?

For $45k plus .. GM can keep it.  My G8 looks ten times better IMO. For what I paid for my G8 I could put 10K into it and still be under this price tag and run circles around this thing.

Anyway.. Im considering a new car right now and it will not be this.

Edited by Mongosg8

I'm a big GM fan but that thing looks awkward, boring and doesn't share any design clues with the rest of the Chevy lineup it simply looks like Chevy designed it five years ago and brought it to the US today. I don't see myself paying that much money for this thing. I would go buy an charger SRT8 loaded for this money

My name is Mark and Im a hater ..LOL

I seen it at the auto show and I was so disappointed ..  All the hype for this I said.

The only thing that gets my attention is the drive-train and the interior ..other than that its lacking in excitement and it doesn't look at all aggressive to me.  Actually it looks like a Malibu .. that is what they should've called it.

The ugly bow tie in the front needs to go. Why in the world does Chevy put these ugly Gold bow ties on their cars .. be creative for a change ..like maybe brushed aluminum one for a sports sedan?

For $45k plus .. GM can keep it.  My G8 looks ten times better IMO. For what I paid for my G8 I could put 10K into it and still be under this prices tag and run circles around this thing.

Anyway.. Im considering a new car right now and it will not be this.

Totally agree man.  I still love the G8 styling, I would take your car any day over that.....Even today, I see the G8's and they're still head turners.

Nothing on that car tells me $45K.  Where's the widebody, aggressive stance?  If I saw that on the street (from the pics), I may give it half a second glance....maybe, swing and a miss Chevy. 

ah, get a black one, drop it an inch or two, throw on some new rims, exhaust and tint, and it'd look pretty damn nice!  But it'll depreciate like a mutha.  

Haha, your probably right it would look good.  But dang man, almost any whip would look good with $10-15K in upgrades :)

Not to hip on that ride for the price...  I could a few thousand more depending on model and picking up a serious Luxury Ride that is sporty.

But also The Boss 302 is really sweet,  Just MHO   :2thumbs:

I agree that the price tag is steep for only one trim level.

I'm hoping that once I graduate and get a full-time job I'll be able to sell the Coly and SS and get into a V2 CTS-V.  They're due for a redesign soon, so I'm hoping that'll bring the V2 prices down too.

I dont think the price is wrong at all. It is $4K more than the G8 GXP but that was 4 years ago, this has a lot more technology and is much more refined than the GXP was. It is also prices about $2K less than the SRT8, it may have less power but I guarantee you that the SS is a much nicer and more refined performance sedan than the SRT.

i give it 2-3 yrs either before a redesign or scrapped

Im actually pretty sure that is the plan. I know for a fact that the Zeta platform it rides on is going to be replaced by 2016, and this may be the last RWD based Holden Vehicle. Everything I have read says the SS is just a test of the viability of a non luxury RWD performance sedan in the US. The G8 was not around long enough for a proper test. The rumors are that GM will move the the extended Alpha platform which is the same platform that the next gen CTS will be on. Hopefully then they will have a full range car like the G8 with a V6 (or maybe turbo 4) and a V8 Option. 

I pondered over that car as soon as it was announced. I liked it, but I didn't love it. I wanted it but, I didn't. If I knew the price tag would have been in the mid to high 30's, I would have waited until it was released and bought one.

I looked at that and my 2013 Fusion Titanium back and forth for a couple months. I am happy I went with the Ford as I spent LESS than expected and got AWD and all the fun technology as well - not to mention I think the new Fusion looks sexy and aggressive. I would have loved to have stayed GM but Ford won me over this time. Would I have loved a V8 again (GTO Owner)? YES. Would I have loved the fun RWD? YES. But in the end, the car just doesn't seem worth it.

I do agree that the G8 is a much better looking car on the outside. However, that LS3 has TONS of potential and from what I understand, is underrated on power.

Edited by Gremlin85

I think the price is in line... as noted above it's close to an SRT and within a grand or two of an optioned Taurus SHO -- which only has a V6. I'm sure that Chevy isn't expecting these things to sell in great volume. 

As a GM product loyalist I'm glad this car exists. I'm not sure I'd call it a halo car, but it does fill a hole in Chevy's lineup. They seem to be trying to change the Impala's image, so I guess that's why this isn't just an Impala SS. Mid $40s sounds high to me personally, but if this car is comparable to similarly-priced cars from Germany or Japan in regards to interior quality and driving experience, then it could really help the brand. However, for the money I figure most folks would go with Cadillac. 

I read on G8Board that GM is limiting these to 5,000 units and they're all going to be made-to-order

Not sure about he actual numbers, but yes they are being made to order. If you want one you have to go to the dealership, order on and it will come from Australia in 9 weeks. 

So I priced out this exact car in Australia. It is basically a Holden Commodore SS-V with a bow tie on it. This exact car in Australia would cost about $55,000 US dollars. So I think $45K would be a steel. 

Edited by Diggerdan11