Customer Service 866.965.0400

Interior then Exterior?

compudiva

Question

18 answers to this question

I always start with the interior....my reason being, the dust that might kick up from the vaccum will end up on the paint. Also gives me a chance to check the door jambs and door kick panels. After the interior is finished and the mats are out of the vehicle I can wash the wheels and tires first and get the rubber mats washed and begin drying (if applicable) then continue on with the exterior.

Once completed I pull into the shop and dry windows and any other surfaces that could get water spot stains. Then dry the paint and finish up with the door jambs using a dirty job towel. Since the interior is clean I can finish the windows and make sure its prepped for delivery and begin any extensive work I would need to on the exterior. If polishing it may require a rise wash for dust, so just repeat the outside wash process.

Hope that helps

I used to do my exterior first, then interior... but increasingly more (so I don't have to invest a whole day) I do the interior one day... then move to exterior details the next. I hardly have a full day anymore to dedicate to detailing so breaking it up over a couple of days helps. 

Plus, when I'm done with an exterior I'm generally a dirty, sweaty, soggy, mess... so hopping inside to clean the interior in that state doesn't make much sense. 

I used to do my exterior first, then interior... but increasingly more (so I don't have to invest a whole day) I do the interior one day... then move to exterior details the next. I hardly have a full day anymore to dedicate to detailing so breaking it up over a couple of days helps. 

Plus, when I'm done with an exterior I'm generally a dirty, sweaty, soggy, mess... so hopping inside to clean the interior in that state doesn't make much sense. 

This is what I've come to lately.  I have started doing my interior first, so that it always gets done.

I find that even for regular washes on a weeknight, after 2 hrs of getting sweaty, I just give up at head back inside.

If I take 25-30 minutes to knock down the interior, step back and the outside is still filthy, I end up with a much better product come quitting time.

I do what Dylan said... Interior one day, Exterior another. for a full detail, i'll break it up into 3 days. first day interior & wash if i have time, 2nd day i'll wash if i didn't the 1st day, clay, & start polishing if i have time, 3rd day i'll finish polishing if needed & glaze/wax to finish it up. car stays in the garage the whole time so i don't have to repeat anything.

i'm doing just that on my truck right now. the wife's out of town so when i get home from work i'm starting a full detail on my truck tonight and driving her SUV the rest of the week. i only have about 3-4 hours each night to work on it, then all afternoon Friday, so tonight will be interior, tomorrow will be wash & clay, then Friday afternoon will be polish & wax.

Edited by 2010TexasEdition

As Dylan posted, I usually split interior and exterior on different days now that I have 2 small kids, gotta get that family time in.  I'm looking at trying to do my car wash at 6am while everyone is asleep that way I have the rest of the day instead of trying to fill it in after work.  Actually have 2 16 oz bottle of the new tid i'm looking at forward on trying here soon.