Customer Service 866.965.0400

MSS really needed

BTBSS

Question

So I bought the 2 step polish system along with the flex pads. Then the recent sale I bought the Flex. I have Adams clay bar, BG and Americana. Just noticed that they use the Machine super sealant after the polish.

I don't have MSS and wanted to know if I should wait to buy the MSS and pad or will be ok to just use wax over the top of the polish?

Really want to use my new Flex but don't want to have to do it all over again because I didn't use MSS.

Also how long should you wait to put BG on after wax?

Thanks

20 answers to this question

Its your choice to use Americana (wax) or MSS or even both. MSS is more durable and will last longer, so if your car lives outside MSS is a good choice. And as far as BG you can apply it under your wax or over, if you apply under wax it will last longer if you apply over wax (or MSS)it will wash off. That is the great thing with BG you could put it on every weekend and it won't build up like wax will.

Is this your daily driver?  How often do you have a chance to wash?

If it is a daily driver and only gets washed once a month or so, then I would definitely lay down MSS or QS before waxing.  If it doesn't see the elements too often, then wax will be sufficient.

The vehicle is my wife's DD and maybe sees 40-50 miles per week. Garage kept and normally doesnt see rain. Because of that i wash it when needed once every two weeks.

So it sounds like I need the MSS because its not a weekend warrior.

MSS isn't necessary if its a garage queen. My DD I just put a Coat of MSS, BG and ended with a coat of Americana. Figured that should last me till Winter.

Basically it comes down to, how often you wash, how often it leaves the garage and how long you want it to last...

Edited by Kingsford

The issue that arises from applying MSS by hand is what we refer to as 'tiger stripes'. 

When the product cures it needs to be applied as perfectly even and thin as possible or you may see highs and lows. Its very evident on darker colors, but can happy on any color. 

Getting a perfectly even and thin coat by hand over a large panel like a hood is virtually impossible, where the machine can do this relatively easy. 

If you're looking for a hand applied sealant I'd recommend our Quick Sealant: http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-701-adams-quick-sealant.aspx

MSS is a very substantial (thick) product and really the only way to ensure you get a thin, even coat of it is to use a machine. If you apply it by hand, you will end up with what look like ghost stripes all over your paint where the product is thicker. This especially is apparent on darker colors.

If you want an easy to apply sealant for use by hand, go for the QS.

Thanks! Well, I definitely don't want stripes. Looks like a machine is in the future. And a direct beard to forum interface. That can come in handy...

Go machine, or quick sealant. Its not that the stripes are permanent or anything, but seeing the highs and lows of your application can be a little annoying after you spend so much time working on your car. 

The day has finally come, the Beard has become self aware and posting on the forum! I better shave mine before it gets any ideas!

Its like Skynet from the terminator movies... we're all doomed when a beard is sent back from the future to kill someone.