Customer Service 866.965.0400

Other companies??

dave 316

Question

Hello boys. Huge Adams fan, thousands spent!! (i think)  My question is, is there an a place here to discuss other products offered by other companies? Not for a promotional standpoint, just a no holds barred results format. what works and why? coatings that offer 5 year protection? I want to learn about these things from real world people, not the companies. Everybody here I trust, and I spend all my money at Adams. I just want to be educated on these one every 5 year products from somebody not trying to sell me them!!!

18 answers to this question

Thanks for asking, Dave. The discussing of other products is a very fine line here on Adam's forums. Because we all share the same goal of having a killer shine/drop dead beautiful car, and the sharing of detailing tips is a big part of what this site is all about, i's generally OK to discuss car care products that don't direclty compete with Adam's stuff, but it's a no-no if Adam's makes a similar product. After all, this forum is paid for completely by Adams, it doesn't accept advertising or sponsorship of any sort, and of course it doesn't charge members to join. So you can understand why Adam's wouldn't want people coming here and singing the praises of some other company's products. 

Rich 

Basically its like an unwritten code that we all know some products that Adam's makes might be made by other companies, but we don't start a "Adams XXXXX vs. Company S's XXX" thread because thats not what its for. 

I'll admit my shelf is not completely Adam's products A to Z, but I support and discuss the products I've used and continue using, and praise them dutifully.  I will allude to sometimes wanting to try Adam's XXXXX product, but sometimes you want to use up what you have first, and there's no harm in that.  I don't generally drop names of other products I use in the forums here bc this is an Adam's support place.

I've PM'ed members and members have pm'ed me and we have had privated discussions through PM about non-adam's stuff, I'd suggest to do the same and that way you adhere to the rules etc.  If you want a lot of non-Adam's specific advice there is quite a big forum that will pop up on a google search that gives a ton of different product reviews, impressions, etc threads as they are non-brand specific.

Or do what I do if I have a non-Adam's question, email phil@detailersdomain (An authorized Adam's dealer) and ask him about non-Adam's products and he can help you out.

Even my shelf has products made by other companies.  We don't sell everything!  Still, this community isn't a forum that collects sponsorship from companies to pay for itself.  However, if you have a product that you are currently using, and that product is not satisfying, and you would like to see us provide a solution, we are all ears!

Thanks

Adam,

Really looking for the pro's and cons of the multiple year protection coatings. Being that you don't sell them, there must be a good reason. Hearing an answer from somebody not trying to make a sale is always better than from a site/fprum that sells the stuff. If nobody wants to answer public, pm me. Just know from Adams, I'll get the truth!! Thanks guys

Edited by dave 316

Thanks Dave, and your question is extremely valid.  The old 5-Year No-Wax company that has been around forever is interesting.  Consider the following things about a semi-permanent coating:

• A protective coating will not prevent surface scratches, as a result of regular washing and wiping.
  • It will not stop paint over-spray, industrial fallout, tree-sap, bug splatter, etc.
  • It will not create a slick long term finish, which will reduce drag, and as a result, scratches.

A vehicle stored indoors day and night, will require less maintenance.   Here is the real difference between the idea of a 5-year protection, and our company:

• We love washing, drying, cleaning, and detailing our vehicles.
  • It is our form of therapy. 
  • During our work day, we go into the warehouse or garage, and clean a vehicle, or bicycle.
  • We enjoy the increased shine that comes after polishing a vehicle.
  • It' a happy day when our vehicle needs a clay and polish!
  • If we had a protection that we couldn't mess with, we'd be bored silly.
  • Claying, Polishing, glazing, waxing and sealing is one of our favorite things to do!
  • There is no less protection with our system.

While a 5+ year coating sounds good in marketing, it goes against our customer's goals:  "Maintain vehicles regularly with excellent products and extreme passion, achieving therapy doing so."

That plus, we have never seen any 5-year marketed products last more than 6 months.  About as long as our Liquid Paint Sealant.

No disrespect to the long term protection, but the circumstances that are needed to make something last one year, let alone 5 years, rarely happen on earth!

:2thumbs:

Edited by Adam

Well said Adam. I've used semi permanent coatings on my wife's daily driver just to try it out. I have customers request these products so I went out and applied to the wife's car to see the results.

The end result was that Adam's Quick Sealant has more hydrophobic properties than one of the semi permanent coatings. In addition, if you miss a spot or apply the coating a little uneven it will show when then car is dirty. Most people who want a coating that lasts 2+ years are not car people and pay someone very large amounts of $$$ to have these coating installed.

A year plus without having to polish or wax my vehicle? No thanks.

I agree, I would be bored with a 5 year protection product. I like to wash, dry and wax my truck too often. It is definitely therapy for me.

Edited by Numbr3t

That plus, we have never seen any 5-year marketed products last more than 6 months.  About as long as our Liquid Paint Sealant.

No disrespect to the long term protection, but the circumstances that are needed to make something last one year, let alone 5 years, rarely happen on earth!

:2thumbs:

Come on Adam.  We know that there are very few that last 5+ years, but at least one very popular one exists and some people have documented it lasting many years,

There is also an expanding market of 1-2 year coatings that people get to last that long on a regular basis.  To say they don't exist isn't right IMO.

While I agree coatings aren't for everyone, they are for some people.  

Come on Adam.  We know that there are very few that last 5+ years, but at least one very popular one exists and some people have documented it lasting many years,

There is also an expanding market of 1-2 year coatings that people get to last that long on a regular basis.  To say they don't exist isn't right IMO.

There was a time when my Dad got his vehicles Z-"Simpsons Character" every year... It was a mess, lasted no longer than a few months when it was supposed to last 1-2 years and made the garage smell terrible for weeks. IMO... Ya they are out there but they are a complete waste of money. 

The beading on his cars with the Bartman product with no wax didn't last more than 6-7 months.

There was a time when my Dad got his vehicles Z-"Simpsons Character" every year... It was a mess, lasted no longer than a few months when it was supposed to last 1-2 years and made the garage smell terrible for weeks. IMO... Ya they are out there but they are a complete waste of money.

The beading on his cars with the Bartman product with no wax didn't last more than 6-7 months.

Ziebart is nothing but a sealant and that's why it only lasts as long as any other sealant on the market. What you're talking about is a ripoff service done by "certified professionals" who are good at marketing a $10-20 product to people who don't know any better. Car dealerships do this as well and most of the time they are acrylic sealants.

I can't speak for the original poster, but SYMAWD is talking about measurable coatings. These last multiple years and use different science than a wax or sealant. The facts are out there...

Coatings aren't for me because I DO enjoy cleaning the paint and applying different waxes and/or sealants which is pointless if you have a coating applied. Coatings are for people that DONT want to apply a LSP 2-3 times a year.

Some coatings are more mar resistant than others, but most aren't mar proof, so the same precautions need to be taken when washing a car.

Saying they are a complete waste of money is very strong and I completely disagree.

Come on Adam. We know that there are very few that last 5+ years, but at least one very popular one exists and some people have documented it lasting many years,

There is also an expanding market of 1-2 year coatings that people get to last that long on a regular basis. To say they don't exist isn't right IMO.

Agreed, I enjoy the process of using and trying various LSP's, so I would never put a coating on my car. I do however, use coatings on my mom's car as I can put in on the once, then just maintenance wash it the rest of the time, making things quickier and easier for me, and for her when she decides she would like to wash it herself.

I'd say about 2 coats of Quick Sealant with Detail Spray V2's wax boosting abilities will keep your vehicle protected and shiny for 6 months or more, maybe even a year if you don't get salt.

That's as close to a coating as you're going to get, and its DAMN good, considering 10 years ago I was waxing my car every 2 months, before high quality, long term durable sealants really hit the mainstream consumer.

Adam hit it right on the head, I'd be bored as hell if I couldn't clay twice a year, polish and wax regularly.

I agree, maintaining your car is a form of art and relaxation and I enjoy doing this multiple times a year.  I think coatings are interesting and definitely serve some purpose in the market, but I can't imagine myself, a weekend detailer, using them.  Like Adam and others have stated, sealants are so advanced now that, given the right upkeep and maintenance, can last considerable periods of time.  One thing I don't like about coatings, and its NOT the case for all coatings, is that you have to wash the vehicle with certain wash media to maintain them. I like changing it up, stripping the sealant, trying new combinations of sealants and waxes.  I think for the average targeted Adam's customer or customer base, coatings may not be the most viable offering.

Another thing to consider. Once you start comparing products from other companies, it's inevitable that eventually a product from the other company will be reviewed negatively. I don't think that's the way Adam does things. As much as he appreciates and respects us, his customers, that's how much he also appreciates and respects his competition.

Ziebart is nothing but a sealant and that's why it only lasts as long as any other sealant on the market. What you're talking about is a ripoff service done by "certified professionals" who are good at marketing a $10-20 product to people who don't know any better. Car dealerships do this as well and most of the time they are acrylic sealants.

I can't speak for the original poster, but SYMAWD is talking about measurable coatings. These last multiple years and use different science than a wax or sealant. The facts are out there...

Coatings aren't for me because I DO enjoy cleaning the paint and applying different waxes and/or sealants which is pointless if you have a coating applied. Coatings are for people that DONT want to apply a LSP 2-3 times a year.

Some coatings are more mar resistant than others, but most aren't mar proof, so the same precautions need to be taken when washing a car.

Saying they are a complete waste of money is very strong and I completely disagree.

I'm not talking about the sealant. I'm talking about the rust proofing.

Adam,

Really looking for the pro's and cons of the multiple year protection coatings. Being that you don't sell them, there must be a good reason. Hearing an answer from somebody not trying to make a sale is always better than from a site/fprum that sells the stuff. If nobody wants to answer public, pm me. Just know from Adams, I'll get the truth!! Thanks guys

Why don't you discuss on a mustang forum? 

If I have questions about my Adam's products, I come to this forum because they have the best answers for these products.

For any other questions, I go to my Camaro forums.  There you will get unbiased information.

Just a thought....

Why don't you discuss on a mustang forum? 

If I have questions about my Adam's products, I come to this forum because they have the best answers for these products.

For any other questions, I go to my Camaro forums.  There you will get unbiased information.

Just a thought....

Whe I have a mustang question i will try a mustang forum. Thanks for the advice. very helpful