Customer Service 866.965.0400

New garage ... updates

Blue17CamaroZL1

Wait for it...

Just seems like a lot more work to go back thru and drill holes and pound the stuff in than it would have been to just put it when the mud was wet.  I was kinda surprised to not see it in the footings either.  It may not be required, but IMO it is cheap insurance.  I would think that you would need someway to tie the footing and foundation together.  Hence my question as to where the rebar was.  

post-706-0-97423100-1397405572_thumb.jpg

Just seems like a lot more work to go back thru and drill holes and pound the stuff in than it would have been to just put it when the mud was wet.  I was kinda surprised to not see it in the footings either.  It may not be required, but IMO it is cheap insurance.  I would think that you would need someway to tie the footing and foundation together.  Hence my question as to where the rebar was.  

Sorry.  I shouldn't have been so flippant.

The bare dirt trenches showed a few vertical rebar which I assume they will wire to.  It looks like (but I'm no expert) this first pour was a footing base.  The actual foundation footing will sit on top of this base instead of on the dirt.  It looks like the dirt is pretty soft.

In different parts of the country with different soils they do concrete foundations completely differently.  I'm going to asume these guys know what they are doing.

Sorry.  I shouldn't have been so flippant.

The bare dirt trenches showed a few vertical rebar which I assume they will wire to.  It looks like (but I'm no expert) this first pour was a footing base.  The actual foundation footing will sit on top of this base instead of on the dirt.  It looks like the dirt is pretty soft.

In different parts of the country with different soils they do concrete foundations completely differently.  I'm going to asume these guys know what they are doing.

No worries, Roger.  I didn't take it as you being flippant.  I was just bringing something up that I noticed.  I hope they know what they are doing.  I only say that because I have seen too many instances where the homeowner got hosed.  I would hope that a permit was pulled by the contractor to protect Matt's interest.  

I know when I did my project the footings had to be inspected for rebar placement before concrete was poured and then just before the foundation was poured it was inspected as well for all necessary rebar and hurricane straps.  The picture below was my project.  Kind of a crappy picture.  It however was taken in 2000 before digital cameras were prevalent.  I don't do it for a living, but have a pretty good idea how things work.

post-706-0-35628400-1397425541.jpeg

Edited by LFairbanks

Lookin' good Matt!!

Maybe when you use cinder block you don't need no "stinkin" rebar.

You going to have three doors, two in the front and one in the back, so that you can get to the garage in the back, and a walk in door on the side?

Bluezey :pc7424: 

Maybe when you use cinder block you don't need no "stinkin" rebar.

Bluezey :pc7424: 

I find that funny.  Glad your not building me a wall.  What do you think will happen over time when that foundation is back filled and there is no reinforcement tying it to the footings?  Not to mention cracking of mortar joints.  Brick on a house now days is even reinforced.  The Contractor probably went the block route as opposed to the concrete route as he probably has no forms.  The footings and foundation where one of the most expensive part of my house.  11k, 14 years ago, and the foundation alone took 14 cement trucks, not counting footings.

With the cinder block being more porous than concrete, Hopefully he seals the outside well to prevent efflorescence.  And puts in proper drainage and slope.

Matt, Please don't take my comments as me picking your project apart.  I have just seen too many times where the homeowner gets hosed.

Edited by LFairbanks

It does look like they sealed the upper layers of cinder blocks.  You can see it almost looks like a creamy overflow on the blocks.  Obviously it's not creme but I think you see what I'm talking about.

Also, regarding the slope, if you notice the front door is 2 layers of cinder block where the rear door goes down 3 layers so that tells me it should be sloping that way.

Here is what I'am talking about.  Some things to ask your Contractor or to make sure it is done right.  I'am perfectly aware your not doing a basement.  But just because you won't be able to see it and your block isn't as deep as a basement would be, don't think that it can't happen over time.  Sealing that joint where the block foundation meets the footing is very important as well.  The issues in the YouTube video started up high and manifested in the bottom.

http://www.foundationarmor.com/article/cinderblock-waterproofing/

http://www.aquaguardinjection.com/residential/concrete-block-foundation-waterproofing/exterior-waterproofing/

Edited by LFairbanks

Here is what I'am talking about.  Some things to ask your Contractor or to make sure it is done right.  I'am perfectly aware your not doing a basement.  But just because you won't be able to see it and your block isn't as deep as a basement would be, don't think that it can't happen over time.  Sealing that joint where the block foundation meets the footing is very important as well.  The issues in the YouTube video started up high and manifested in the bottom.

http://www.foundationarmor.com/article/cinderblock-waterproofing/

http://www.aquaguardinjection.com/residential/concrete-block-foundation-waterproofing/exterior-waterproofing/

Dingbat. I love it. Amazing the amount of water in those blocks.

LFairbanks

I find that funny.  Glad your not building me a wall!

Me Too, I find this funny, as I said "maybe"!

Never worked with cinder block myself!

But I did give up working with concrete in the 70's.

Now back to your regular programming!!