Customer Service 866.965.0400

Need Polisher Recommendations

DaveyT

Question

Hi everyone. I will be buying a polisher very soon and would love some guidance on what to purchase. So I thought "what better audience to ask than those that are passionate about auto detailing"?

The only use for this polisher will be to maintain my car and my wife's car. The paint on my wife's car is in very, very good shape. The paint on my car is not in good shape at all and will require an extensive correction.

I am not sure if my usage of said polisher warrants spending more than $300 for the polisher listed on the Adam's website. Are there any other polishers that any of you would recommend? 

Thank you in advance for all replies...

24 answers to this question

I think the Cyclo that Adam's sells would be a good fit for you based on what you typed.  There are a multitude of decent polishers out there.  The Cyclo is the only one Made in the USA.  Also, I believe Adam's offers a Lifetime Warranty on that machine.  If the paint on your car isn't in good shape and needs an extensive correction, figure to have it done right you are looking around $400.00 to get that polished out.   Have you ran a machine polisher before?

You need a Griot's garage polisher or a PC.  They are half the price of the Cyclo and come with a lifetime warranty as well.  With 5" mf pads they will correct anything for the weekend warrior. 

You can still use the Adams pads and polishes if you wish.

Edited by camaro2ssblack

I haven't used the Griot's machine but my understanding is it's a re-sleeved, China made (like all of the polishers that look similar to that model) Porter Cable.  Porter Cable 7424XP is also a nice polisher.  I own one.  The good part about the Cylco for someone who hasn't ran a machine before is the lack of vibration and little amount of pressure one has to use to get the job done.   I know that when I first made the switch to the PC from the rotary side of things...it was a little bit rough trying to learn the pressures and such of that style of polisher.

Get a polisher like the Cyclo now.  You will end up with one at some pint so might as well just get one and do it right the first time.

The Cyclo can do big or small areas.

It is great for angled pieces and pillars.

Less vibration makes it very appealing.

The PC would do your wife's car, but would take a long long while to get your car to the same shape it sounds like. 

The Cyclo or a Flex is what you will need for your car. 

Choose wisely. 

First are you going in business as a detailer or just a novice ? 2nd are you on a budget ? When you get into this detailing bug your going to find out  about alot of products your going to need . Pads, wax, cleaners etc. I am finding this out, I got hooked on detailing and it gets expensive.

PC and griots are good for the novice like myself. You can get start-up kits with pads etc.   Hoping Iam not breaking any rules by having this link on here.

I just bought a Griots that was sale on another detail site.  If you can afford it of course go for the Flex or Cyclo.

Again if I did something wrong please admin or moderators remove it. I like being on here I just wanted to give my point of view :)

Edited by Nick@Adams
Removed link

A bit of advice,

You would be much better off asking this question on a detailing forum that supports multiple polishers so that you get an unbiased opinion. 

IMO a little more vibration on something you will be using 3-4 times a year between both vehicles does not justify the premium.  Also keep in mind its not just the cost of the machine (more than 2x), but with the Cyclo you will also buy twice the pads and use more polish.  Just some real world facts to consider...

You cant go wrong either way for what you are looking to accomplish, its just one option is more expensive.  You decide if its justifed...

Maybe $10 more for one basic set of pads for the Cyclo compared to the PC or Flex or other polisher.  Wait for a good sale and you can knock another $40 or more of the Cyclo.  Get a kit and save even more. Price it out your self and see if it will work for you.  If not the PC will do a great job it will just beat you up a little more.  Some of the dealers on here likely have the PC and Flex if you decide to go that way. 

If you have a dealer near you you might even get a chance to try each of them or some from other manufacturers.  

I also vote Cyclo.  

My first polisher usage was a buddies Cyclo and it did WONDERS.  Easy to use, learn, support, repair, etc.  How can you not go with a product that allows for so much versatility as well as peace of mind (and USA made).  You can use foam pads on your wife's car and then microfiber on your car.  The PC is a good first tool as well, but it doesn't cut as much as the Cyclo.  If you were just doing your wife's car (like others have said) get the PC only.  If you are buying ONE tool for ALL uses, Cyclo is the WAY TO GO.  :)  The cyclo cuts into my BMW's HARD clear nicely with the microfiber and works on my jeep's clear coat failure with ease (with the foam pads).  Best start up tool and it will still allow you to "grow into it" more than the PC would.

The Cyclo is really tough to beat. I have sold, and still own PC, Flex, and Cyclo. The Cyclo is something you can leave to your kids, mine was built in 1959 and still runs strong. Plus the Cyclo has other attachments to let you clean the car carpets, etc.

It's just a really nice machine all the way around.

Bruce

Since nobody has asked before offering suggestions...what are the models of the two cars that you are working on?

If the "extensive correction" is going to be done on a vehicle with hard clearcoat, a Porter Cable won't cut it (pun intended? You be the judge). If you're working with softer clear, a PC would get the job done without breaking the bank, and it is the simplest polisher to use IMO for a first-timer.

Also, Adams does support multiple polishers, they just don't sell some of them anymore because manufacturing or ownership has moved to China.

For what its worth, you literally could buy a brand new PC 7424XP, 3" backing plate (which will give you PLENTY of correcting power for that machine with 4" pads) for tight areas, and a Griots machine using 6" pads and have two machines for the price of one, for less than the Cyclo at $350.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, since I already own a perfectly good and working PC, making it a dedicated 4" pad machine is great.  If you do want "one machine to do it all" though and don't already own a tool the Cyclo is a great all-in one choice.

Thank you everyone for your feedback and suggestions. Here is the information that was requested:

• My wife's car is a 2013 Kia Optima SXL and my car is a 2005 Nissan Altima
  • I will only be detailing our cars with the exception of my grandparents occasionally and will not be going into business doing this. This is just a hobby/routine maintenance for our personally owned vehicles
  • Budget... I do not really have one. I would prefer to have a machine that will last for a while and handle the work I intend to use it for. I would also prefer not to spend more than what is necessary.
  • All shampoos, polishes, waxes, etc etc will be Adam's products

Ultimately, I am looking for a polisher that can handle one difficult job one time and then routine maintenance after the hard job is over. It is also important to me that the machine be somewhat user friendly. 

Again, thank you all for the feedback and guidance...

Edited by DaveyT

If you're not on a budget, just get the Cyclo. Get the microfiber pads and foam pads. The porter cable would work for you, but the Cyclo is a nicer experience. The Cyclo will certainly last you for a very long time. 

So I would say it just comes down to whether you want to pay more for a nicer machine or just get what is necessary. 

Edited by lax

If you're not on a budget, just get the Cyclo. Get the microfiber pads and foam pads. The porter cable would work for you, but the Cyclo is a nicer experience. The Cyclo will certainly last you for a very long time. 

So I would say it just comes down to whether you want to pay more for a nicer machine or just get what is necessary. 

Thats it in a nutshell :bow:

Thank you everyone for your feedback and suggestions. Here is the information that was requested:

• My wife's car is a 2013 Kia Optima SXL and my car is a 2005 Nissan Altima
  • I will only be detailing our cars with the exception of my grandparents occasionally and will not be going into business doing this. This is just a hobby/routine maintenance for our personally owned vehicles
  • Budget... I do not really have one. I would prefer to have a machine that will last for a while and handle the work I intend to use it for. I would also prefer not to spend more than what is necessary.
  • All shampoos, polishes, waxes, etc etc will be Adam's products

Ultimately, I am looking for a polisher that can handle one difficult job one time and then routine maintenance after the hard job is over. It is also important to me that the machine be somewhat user friendly. 

Again, thank you all for the feedback and guidance...

The point some have made on this subject, it sounds like... is ... yes the Cyclo is the tool you need.

I will however state... that being a little bit more budget friendly, the PC is there.

What I mean by this is...  RIGHT NOW, if on a budget, you will be happy saving money and picking up the PC.  HOWEVER it will take longer (more passes and more product (novice learning) typically) to do that "one difficult job" and then routine maintenance.

After you do those jobs and find that you still need to do some heavier correcting over your Nissan, the Cyclo will be what you will want to step up to.  

So, if you are buying for longevity reasons (with more budget in mind), I would definitely go with the Cyclo and not look back.  That way you have a single, all-around great tool that will serve you for years and Years and YEARS.  :)